Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help a poor flatlander - What cassette for this race?
Quote | Reply
I finally get to race, it is just a sprint tri, but it is a real race! It is Cal Tri Austin around lake Pflugerville. I've got a slight problem, here is the elevation plot from yesterday's workout. The end of the workout includes a climb of Mt. Pearland, one of the tallest and steepest climbs in the area.

That's right, I fearlessly did this 16 foot climb at the end of my workout!

Compare that workout to the elevation plot for the race course

The problem is, I have no idea how to translate this into the real world. It has a max grade of 3.4%, it looks like lots of little climbs, the longest being 60-70 feet elevation gain.

At home, I run a 52/36 chainring with an 11-23 cassette and unless the wind is howling, I basically live in the large chainring. Do I need a different cassette for this race? I also need to plan for LOML who is also doing the race.

Feel free to mock and disparage my lack of experience but be warned, I will challenge you to a grueling KOM challenge on Mt. Pearland!
Quote Reply
Re: Help a poor flatlander - What cassette for this race? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These hills and grades are very manageable. You won't need to change your cassette. I'd be surprised if you leave the big chainring.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply
Re: Help a poor flatlander - What cassette for this race? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52x23 at 70rpm is still only 12mph. I doubt you will need to leave the big ring.

The 36x23 @70rpm goes down to 8mph. You almost certainly won't be beneath that in a sprint tri

You can see the full chart here: https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race setup is also 52/36 and 11-23 for flat-ish courses. 473' total climbing in a sprint is very little. I would not sweat it and stick with your 11-23 cassette. Worst case scenario would be 11-25, but really only if you wanted to be super conservative. The only time I have ever ridden larger (11-28) was a Half Ironman with 4,100' total elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well a couple of things....

First - There are those of us who maybe very familiar with that mountain.

Second - if that climb is what I think it is, why did you avoid it on the start of the ride in the first place? (Golf cart tunnel)

Third - next time ride up and down the 288 overpass on 101 a few times at the end of your ride. Not much, but better than nothing.

Fourth - make sure you use that front derailleur at least a couple of times each ride. If not, it may freeze up from lack of use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the max is truly 3.4% then go 11-25

Better yet, 12-25 because you won't need the 11
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 13, 21 18:21
Quote Reply