Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training
Quote | Reply
So recently, I have found that my blood sugars will often go up (a fair bit sometimes) after a morning training session despite having had no carbs. These are all done pre-breakfast. The intensity does not seem too matter so much - as really hard efforts on the bike can sometimes cause a blood sugar spike via adrenaline. Even easy sessions seem to have this effect. I've normally been doing these sessions after 1 espresso, so not sure if the coffee is affecting it either.

I don't recall this happening to me previously during morning sessions. The increase can be as much as 7-9 mmol/L.

Any other diabetics have this happen to them?

I sometimes find my blood sugars will just do weird things (weird in the sense that they haven't done this to me previously) and then stick to doing weird things. I've experienced this before with needing to have carbs for after work training so as not to go low, but then needing to stop carbs for after work training as it started always sending me high.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
So recently, I have found that my blood sugars will often go up (a fair bit sometimes) after a morning training session despite having had no carbs. These are all done pre-breakfast. The intensity does not seem too matter so much - as really hard efforts on the bike can sometimes cause a blood sugar spike via adrenaline. Even easy sessions seem to have this effect. I've normally been doing these sessions after 1 espresso, so not sure if the coffee is affecting it either.

I don't recall this happening to me previously during morning sessions. The increase can be as much as 7-9 mmol/L.

I sometimes find my blood sugars will just do weird things (weird in the sense that they haven't done this to me previously) and then stick to doing weird things. I've experienced this before with needing to have carbs for after work training so as not to go low, but then needing to stop carbs for after work training as it started always sending me high.

You may want to post this over at Facebook in the T1 group. My riding buddy is T1 and I race for them on Zwift. They are a very good group and I'm sure would have lots of good advice for you there. They have may race teams, maybe even something that you might want to join. Sorry I am not able to help you with your issues, but I'm sure some of them have experienced what you are going through.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Trail and Ultra Runner FB group also has a lot of people really knowledgeable about T1 and endurance sports. Might want to post there as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second this comment. I am a T1D and joining this group is easily the best thing I have ever done. You will not regret it.

It is a closed group but just request to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zwiftteamtype1

Hope to see you on the site. It is a great bunch of people (both that have diabetes and that have close family/friends with diabetes) and I haven't found a more supportive place for people like myself.
Last edited by: cweibs: Apr 11, 21 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, blood sugar spiking after exercise is not unusual.

I've been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I now have it under control with diet and exercise. My morning blood sugar level is usually in the healthy range of between 80 and 100.

On weekday mornings, I swim 2000 meters at our local YMCA before breakfast. It is not unusual for my blood sugar level to be higher after swimming than before. I've seen the same thing happen with my afternoon runs.

On Saturday, I competed in my area's season opening sprint triathlon. During the last few blocks of the run, I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I stopped running and walked for for about half a block until I started feeling better.. Fortunately, I was back to running by the time I reached the finish line where my wife and her friends had their cell phones out to record my finish.

Shortly after the finish, I had the meal that came with the race package. I had a Diet Coke and a barbecue sandwich. I deliberately skipped the corn bread and baked beans out of fear of what it might do to my metabolism. When I got home, my blood sugar level was 165.

The explanation I've been given is that there are multiple metabolic paths by which your body can generate sugar. If your blood sugar goes too low, your liver may overcompensate by generating sugar from protein and fat and dumping it into your blood stream. The term is "gluconeogenesis".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T1D, I’ve found blood sugars more sensitive to change from routine in the morning. For instance when I work out before breakfast, I’ll usually decrease nasal 75-90% upon waking, then eat 15-30g carbs and workout. Rarely I’m low unless something happened overnight, but if the workout isn’t intense enough I can be chasing highs the rest of the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Your body does change as you age, make life changes (or have confounding effects——COVID?), and so does your endocrine response.
So you should talk to your doc about these changes, as some adjustments may be needed.
Your medical history matters and every disease progression/change is different.

Don’t rely on others advice (even when they are athletes)!
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprised here. Morning sessions always, spikes me, despite 0 carbs, or even 0 food. Coffee does triggers some liver glycogen dumping into the system.

Cycling for some reason out of the 3 disciplines is the one that either spikes me the most or have not to little effect on helping with insulin sensitivity.

I always bolus for morning, fasted sessions as small as a 0.5u for easy swimming. More if cycling, more if intense.

And finally, similar to you, Ive had changes happening to me out out of the blue, in the last 12 months for some reason my basal needs increase from 4-5u daily to 6-8u, that as much as 50-100%!

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Last edited by: vinnie: Apr 11, 21 23:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for disturbing this thread, but I noticed that my blood sugar level goes up after the training, but not only in the morning, it happens even if I exercise in the afternoon (though less often). First of all, thanks for sharing your experiences. But I still wonder what am I doing wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you taking on carbs In afternoon training? I found that for some reason around 10 years ago my body just stopped needing carbs in late afternoon early evening sessions. As I would just go high if I took on carbs then. I always needed carbs before then.
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should discuss that with your doctor. The reasons can be very different, all depends on your diet.
My wife usually uses ozempic coupon to buy all her meds which help her to control the blood sugar.
She was diagnosed with the type 2 couple of years ago and learn to live a pretty normal life by now.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Nov 28, 22 2:40
Quote Reply
Re: Diabetics - weird blood sugar reaction to morning training [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not diabetic, but my wife is Type 1, and I've seen some crazy stuff. I personally suffer from a massive blood sugar drop when I start exercising supposedly due to my mitochondria being so "highly trained" that they pull blood sugar out of the blood too fast. I get light headed, need to pee a lot, have to sit down, very bonky. I read an article on research that showed this can happen to "highly trained" athletes, which I suspect a lot of on this forum are. And I've seen my wife's blood sugar levels drop due to increases in training load as her metabolism speeds up. And like others have said here, your body pushes sugar into the blood from other sources than food when you exercise, so that's where you are getting your higher readings from when you stop. I've wondered if my own personal issue is from not being able to generate my own fast enough because I'm too depleted already or some other organ/metabolic dysfunction.
Quote Reply