Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike Fit Check
Quote | Reply
Heyyy All,

You were all so incredible in helping me get fit on my TT bike, that I figured I would give it a whirl with my road bike now.

Emonda 2019 disc - 56cm. 90mm stem. ISM road saddle.

I have had a little bit of lower back tightness and verrrry minor hand soreness on 90 minute+ rides. The hand soreness is never so much that I even need to shake out my hands, but I notice it with gloves on. I am significantly more comfortable on the TT bike that you guys help me fit.

I brought the bike indoors and the first thing I did was lower my seat by 5mm. I have yet to ride it like that. I am going to try an indoor training ride later today and figured I would throw it up here to see if there are any other adjustments to try.

This bike is for mostly group rides and solo rides in newer areas that I won't take my TT bike into. I will not be racing on it.

Thanks all!

Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fit Check [NickJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason why you are using an ISM saddle rather than a traditional road saddle?

It looks like you need a longer stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fit Check [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I will toss another stem on there now. I have 100 and 110 available, any thoughts on how much longer I need to go?

I have tried a bunch of different saddles and was never really comfortable on anything but my ISM. I always end up moving around a bunch. I have one on my old tt bike that is on trainer duty, and one that is on my regular tt bike. I figured since I know it works for me, I would give the ISM road saddle a shot. I have only had it on for a handful of outdoor rides. My butt feels far more comfortable, but the low back thing remains.

Also, thank you!
Last edited by: NickJO: Mar 25, 21 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wait until some of the pro fitters see your video before changing the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fit Check [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I threw a 110mm on there. It is easy enough to do if I need to swap it back to 90mm and figured it offers a good comparison video for anyone that checks it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuiGEtzecE&ab_channel=NickJ

Last edited by: NickJO: Mar 25, 21 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. most road bike handlebar ends are almost perpendicular to the ground for intended set up .. saddle hight and set back is a good starting point that can be refined for aims ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read all other statements. My 2 cents:
  • Drop saddle 1-10mm
  • Move saddle forward 5-20mm
  • Bend elbows
  • Longer stem by 20-40mm likely desirable if speed is important.
  • Turn hoods in if speed is important.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NickJO wrote:
Heyyy All,

You were all so incredible in helping me get fit on my TT bike, that I figured I would give it a whirl with my road bike now.

Emonda 2019 disc - 56cm. 90mm stem. ISM road saddle.

I have had a little bit of lower back tightness and verrrry minor hand soreness on 90 minute+ rides. The hand soreness is never so much that I even need to shake out my hands, but I notice it with gloves on. I am significantly more comfortable on the TT bike that you guys help me fit.

I brought the bike indoors and the first thing I did was lower my seat by 5mm. I have yet to ride it like that. I am going to try an indoor training ride later today and figured I would throw it up here to see if there are any other adjustments to try.

This bike is for mostly group rides and solo rides in newer areas that I won't take my TT bike into. I will not be racing on it.

Thanks all!

pull your saddle back 1-2cm. Then drop the saddle 5-8mm. And drop the cockpit 1 cm.

The ISM pushes you unnecessarily steep. I wouldn’t go with a longer stem because I think the culprit is you are sitting too far forward.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fit Check [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trent! I pulled the seat back 1.5cm. Dropped it about 5mm. Dropped the front end 1cm (only have 1cm of spacers left).

As always, thanks man.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NickJO wrote:
Hey Trent! I pulled the seat back 1.5cm. Dropped it about 5mm. Dropped the front end 1cm (only have 1cm of spacers left).

As always, thanks man.

I like that seat position better. I do think a longer stem is necessary now that you are sitting in a better spot relative to the bottom bracket. Probably go 2 cm longer and if we need to push the saddle forward just a bit, we can.

If someone insisted the saddle was a bit low now, I wouldn't fight raising it 5 mm higher (and undoing the drop you just did).

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall it does not look too bad. It does a appear the saddle is a little too low and I mean a little. I would raise it 2 to 4mm and definitely no more that 5mm but that is even too much. Keep raising and lowering until you find that sweet spot. I would give each position at least two weeks and to find what is most comfortable to you. Comfort equals speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
110mm stem is on (2cm longer) and I moved the saddle up about half the distance I moved it down (2.5mm).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it feel?

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good. Moving the seat back was significantly better immediately. It felt like I was putting less weight on my hands. I will crank out some miles this weekend and report back. As always, thank you very much Trent.

You got me absolutely dialed in on my SC and am extremely grateful you were willing to take a look on this one. I appreciate everyone taking a look.

Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not so much a fit comment as a setup one, but if that was my bike, I'd untape the bars, rotate them forward so the end of the drops was nearly horizontal, then slide the shifters up til they were at the original (slightly upward) angle again.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fit Check [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup thank you. I agree with you and the previous poster that mentioned this.

I built this bike up from the frame and I definitely missed the mark on the bars. I also cut the front hydraulic hose too short and have to take the bars off the stem anytime I want to change the spacers.

It’s probably time I stop being lazy and fix both of those things!
Quote Reply