Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [Jwb_LDN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jwb_LDN wrote:
I still want to race if i can, but I've asked Ironman what their policy will be if we can't attend the race due to travel restrictions. I'm not expecting them to be helpful to be honest.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this deferral offer is their way of giving us that out. I think that IM had been stellar during the pandemic, allowing for refunds and deferrals where they didn't need to. But I think if we pick St. George and we can't get to it because we're not able to travel- at this point it's on us.

Unless we're in the US, I don't think anyone can guarantee participation.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the last half mile of the climb up Snow Canyon today I was rethinking whether I really want to race this again in Sept đŸ˜€. But it’s such a pretty course and now I have a poor race time to try to beat, so what the heck. Could be even hotter in September though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
So I just got an email offering me a deferral to either NZ in 2022 or Finland in 2023.

I originally qualified back in 2019 at Maine 70.3 for NZ 2020 and took the deferral for St. George since it's closer to me here in Canada.

I'm wracking my brain here to figure out which one I want - I guess this is the paradox of choice. They're all good choices! Though part of me wants to do it this year- I've never been to a WC and would like to experience it sooner. Plus St. George doesn't involve crossing an ocean...

The trick here is that our border rules are supposed to stay in place until July - after that who knows? If there was still the 2 week quarantine in place, and with 2 young kids at home there's no way I could do a 2 week quarantine on top of the solo trip itself.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Yep, got this too. Qualified for Taupo at Waco in 2019. I've since retired from triathlon, so went ahead and deferred to 2023. I figure if things keep going like this and I get back into triathlon at some point I may already be qualified for 70.3 worlds haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I think that IM had been stellar during the pandemic, allowing for refunds and deferrals where they didn't need to.

I'd like to know more about the stellar job IM has been doing at issuing refunds. They've got about $1000 of mine that I would like back.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds St. George September [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
timbasile wrote:
I think that IM had been stellar during the pandemic, allowing for refunds and deferrals where they didn't need to.

I'd like to know more about the stellar job IM has been doing at issuing refunds. They've got about $1000 of mine that I would like back.

Ha, exactly. I would much rather get a refund than keep deferring to a race I'm not going to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
So I just got an email offering me a deferral to either NZ in 2022 or Finland in 2023.

I originally qualified back in 2019 at Maine 70.3 for NZ 2020 and took the deferral for St. George since it's closer to me here in Canada.

I'm wracking my brain here to figure out which one I want - I guess this is the paradox of choice. They're all good choices! Though part of me wants to do it this year- I've never been to a WC and would like to experience it sooner. Plus St. George doesn't involve crossing an ocean...

The trick here is that our border rules are supposed to stay in place until July - after that who knows? If there was still the 2 week quarantine in place, and with 2 young kids at home there's no way I could do a 2 week quarantine on top of the solo trip itself.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Well, today being the last day you can defer, I pulled the trigger on deferring to 2023. Looks like a trip to Finland is in the cards!

Now for step 2 of my master plan: hope that COVID cases improve enough for me to race at MT70.3 and requalify for ST. George! I figure if that race (somehow) happens, the border will be looking up in September. And with slots likely to be handed out like candy, who knows what'll happen!
Last edited by: timbasile: May 10, 21 8:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next