Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Ironman Michigan (Traverse City) screwed me over. All the local triathlons have been great. Almost all let me defer to 2022 if there was a conflict and two gave me refunds.

I did multiple Iornman events each year for well over a decade. If Ironman had just refunded me, I would pick up again in 2022 and continued to race. Instead, I'll just stick with locally run races.

And yes I'm well aware Ironman gives zero fucks about losing my business.

We were entered in 3 European 70.3s, all of which were eventually cancelled.

The earliest was a straight cancellation and moved to 2021. No choice but to “defer”.

Races 2 and 3 were later in the season and were initially postponed to the same weekend in September. If the races had gone ahead we wouldn’t have been able to do them.
both.

IM don’t give a sherbet about us. It looks like most European races aren’t likely to go ahead this year so who knows what will happen with 2nd deferrals.

If the rumours about IM having pandemic insurance is true they are just laughing at us.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure they had pandemic insurance. They are a global organization so having that insurance is a must.

I do agree they are just laughing at us. They had a. Opportunity to build a lot of goodwill but opted for the money instead. So be it. Their short term thinking is my long term gain.

I only know a few triathletes personally. They are all dropping Ironman branded races. So. I know I’m not the only one out there feeling this way. Not that Ironman cares what the athletes think.

Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I was wondering where you live if you have a chance of being vaccinated soon. Once that is done, you have almost no worry about catching this yourself and the data from UK and Israel show that we will barely be spreading this to each other and you should be able to get back to near normal racing shortly in USA. In Canada, the doom and gloom people are acting like it will never happen, but we are literally 2.5 months behind UK....sitting here in early April there is no third wave of deaths and even though there is a third wave of hospitalizations (because non "old people" are not vaccinated yet), there should be no subsequent wave of hospitalizations as you can see from UK and Israeli and UAE data. So shortly after that, things get quite normal.

I would think you are able to race in USA fairly normally soon and in Canada by end of summer easily. The question for the latter if politicians are courageous enough to open various things when sufficient vaccination percentages occur versus waiting an entire one to two months afterwards. There should be little reason to wait those two months since we have data from other countries. We also have a looming federal election so there will be a desire when hospitals are less busy to make citizens feel "happier" before going to vote. Granted opening many things up is largely provincial, but signals from national level helps one way or the other.

I agree with much of the sentiment. But you do have to be careful with the comparison- whilst the UK has rolled out vaccination really well, and it has good uptake in the most-at-risk age groups (though less so in some ethnic groups) there's 2 big factors at play here in the low levels of transmission and hospitalisations in the UK. The vax is one. The other is that we've had 3.3 months of a lockdown with all non-essential shops closed, pubs and clubs closed, indoor eating places all closed, all sports facilities closed, most people still WFH, lots still laid off, elite sports behind closed doors, schools closed until about 4 weeks ago (and then school Easter hols breaking that up too). And a travel ban outside the local area up to 10 days ago too
Meeting is still limited to outdoors and limited to 6 people max. That was only 2 people before 29th March.
An open functioning society with any semblance of normal human contact we have not.

All fair points. UK have used a combo of society closure and high vaccine rollouts. UAE and USA have largely open societies with large vaccine rollout so let's see the stats shake out from there. UAE has been stuck on ~2K cases on 10M people since vaccine rollout but deaths are near zero and from what I understand they have plenty of hospital capacity (someone who is local please comment). I am not sure how open Israel was during the vaccine rollouts. They are doing very well.

I suspect here in Canada we stay pretty shut and closed until our vaccination levels get similar to where UK is today.

On that note are there plans for racing in the UK this summer. I hear the London Marathon organizers are putting on several local 10K races to start to gather data?
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have the 'reunion 10k' set up for 25th April 2021 as a 'test event'.
That will be really interesting to see what data comes from it (and maybe provides a good justification for more racing if the subsequent infection/ illness rates in those who take part remain similar to the general population).

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/...rganises-reunion-10k

You're right that the UK has some racing coming up.

We have the next easing of restrictions from today in England (the 4 home nations are on similar but not identical paths). Normal shops reopen today. Pubs and hair dressers etc too. Gyms and indoor pools also reopen. (No indoor club sports yet for adults though so still no tri club indoor pool sessions until mid May).

As someone else said, if they could put the vaccine in the beer, we'd have everyone done by 10pm this eve.

Outlaw half distance race at Nottingham (something like 1500 people) has been slid from mid May to he end of June. But that looks it should go ahead, just with some staggered starting and a revised run course to eliminate an out-and-back on a public footpath - to eliminate passing members of the public and also racers passing each other.
Currently the Gov plan is end of all restrictions on 21st June (we have a couple of stage gates to get through tho so could still get pushed back.
Other Outlaw half's still scheduled S Normal (Holkham in early July) amd the full distance Outlaw in late July.

Here's hoping you guys catch us up soon and get back to some normality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next