Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys?
Quote | Reply
I own a pair of Next% which I have used for a 10k and a half, both PBs. I am thus now sold on using them for 70.3/Ironman. I wonder if anybody has experimented with lock laces to save time in transition, or shall I just forget about it given they are quite flimsy and need proper careful lacing up by hand? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got lock laces on my Next%. To be honest, they feel kind of awful, but I think the shoes feel bad regardless. I just suffer them for race days. I'd say it depends how much you value 15-20 seconds: if it could be the difference between a world championship slot or not, then go for it, otherwise you'll probably be happier without.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lock laces on my Nike 4% and I prefer them on all my race shoes. I added them to the 4% after the normal laces came undone during a half marathon in which I missed my goal time by 1 second!! I haven’t had any issues with adding the lock laces
Last edited by: Tweeks07: Mar 5, 21 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It destroyed my feet on the next% the offset lacing made my foot curl inside shoe.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
I own a pair of Next% which I have used for a 10k and a half, both PBs. I am thus now sold on using them for 70.3/Ironman. I wonder if anybody has experimented with lock laces to save time in transition, or shall I just forget about it given they are quite flimsy and need proper careful lacing up by hand? thanks

I will be blunt: Lock laces in my Next% sucked @#$%!!!

If you want details: The tongue on the Next % sucks already because its not gusseted (you hearing this Nike?) and it moves more than normal because its offset. Lock laces makes this problem worse. Lock laces scrunch your shoe up and then release when you put your foot in it. However the tongue on the Nike moves a lot and it takes time to adjust because now the laces are stretched tighter with your foot in the shoe. The time you save with the laces is spent trying to fix the PITA tongue. This not a problem with laces.

If you're sweating a few seconds of transition time in a 70.3 over laces I suggest you SBR a few seconds faster. A sprint or Olympic I can see your concern but not with a half or a full.
Last edited by: Rideon77: Mar 5, 21 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock Laces on my Next% work great. Definitely helps with fast Sprint and Olympic transition. When I run, I don't feel anything wrong and feel very comfortable. I don't use them with my 4% because there's no point having them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ItaloBritt,

It seems replies are considering two very different types of lock laces ... those with stretch laces and those with non stretch laces.

As you know ... with the non stretch laces you can lace the bottom 3 or 4 laces to stay fixed ... and lace the top to adjust with the lace lock.

Also many lace locks do not have enough tension on the lace lock spring and the laces move ...

Nathan brand lace locks work well but throw away the elastic laces and use regular laces.

https://www.nathansports.com/...ucts/run-laces-black

https://www.roadrunnersports.com/blog/heel-lock-lacing/

https://www.fleetfeet.com/...ore-comfortable-fit#

https://www.self.com/story/lacing-hacks-running-shoes-more-comfortable

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been pleasantly surprised with my elastic laces (not sure what brand, they look very similar to Lock Laces brand). Many of my 70.3 and shorter race shoes felt horrible with elastic laces in comparison. I made it through a 70.3 run with zero issues on the tops of my feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure, but have anyone tried the Nike Fly Ease? there are two tabs, one to lock the shoes on and another to release. I have had the shoes for two months and really enjoy them. The fit is better than the Next %, I have a pair of those as well. I haven't tried them in a race yet, but hope to soon. Check them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got elastic laces in my Next % and ive sewed that shitty tongue to the upper in an effort to keep it mostly in place so they can just be slipped on, and it works pretty decently, way better than not having the tongue sewed... maybe just requires a lil tug to straighten and then go.

Ive just had the alphafly and the fit on them is slightly bigger, but the upper is really nice and stretchy like a knitfit and they can just be slipped on with the laces that they come with, thats plenty tight enough for me to run in. I bought them purely for the knit upper to slip them on, as the only thing i dislike about the Next % is that flappy tongue.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Nathan elastic laces with their lace locks on my Next %. I have used this combination from sprint races (sockless) through IM races with no issues whatsoever. In fact, I personally think they are the best and most comfortable shoes for all distances. Lastly, I have no issues with the tongue - I just kinda hold it up and apart as I jam my feet in and they are as fast in T2 as anything else.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Has anyone tried the Frodo technique? Real laces with a lace lock. Seems like a good and simple solution. I wanted to try this, but I haven't raced since 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No replying to you in particular, but curious if anyone else noticed this bit of shoe tech from Saturday.

Maybe this is the solution to all problems? Anyone else sliced and sewed up carbon shoes (apologies if discussing a non-Nike shoe is blasphemous)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get the Next% in a flyknit then all the problems are solved! Haha
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [pccc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pccc wrote:
I am not sure, but have anyone tried the Nike Fly Ease? there are two tabs, one to lock the shoes on and another to release. I have had the shoes for two months and really enjoy them. The fit is better than the Next %, I have a pair of those as well. I haven't tried them in a race yet, but hope to soon. Check them out.

Are you talking about the zoom tempo next%? I think that is the only model of Nike's carbons that have come in flyease thus far. Not sure how fast those are compared to VF Next% but based on my observations here on ST, most of us prefer the VF next% for triathlons than the alphafly or zoom tempo next%.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
Ive got elastic laces in my Next % and ive sewed that shitty tongue to the upper in an effort to keep it mostly in place so they can just be slipped on, and it works pretty decently, way better than not having the tongue sewed... maybe just requires a lil tug to straighten and then go.

Ive just had the alphafly and the fit on them is slightly bigger, but the upper is really nice and stretchy like a knitfit and they can just be slipped on with the laces that they come with, thats plenty tight enough for me to run in. I bought them purely for the knit upper to slip them on, as the only thing i dislike about the Next % is that flappy tongue.

I've been using Xtenex elastic laces in my Next %'s, work great, like in any other shoe.

I like the idea bolded above, if I knew how to sew! Yeah, regardless of what kind of laces I use, the tongue bunches/folds in when trying to put them on quick.

https://www.triboutique.ca/...es-p/xtenex_x300.htm
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 6, 21 3:28
Quote Reply
Re: Lock laces with Nike Next%/Alphaflys? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:

Has anyone tried the Frodo technique? Real laces with a lace lock. Seems like a good and simple solution. I wanted to try this, but I haven't raced since 2019.

This is what I've done with the Alphfly. The laces that come with them already have a little stretch to them. Just used the lace lock with the standard laces and it works great. I used the Nathan elastic lock laces in the Next% and they worked fine with socks
Quote Reply