Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing the weekly plan after the week has started
Quote | Reply
There are situations when some workouts cannot be done on the scheduled day but there is room for some changes within the week. Some examples:
  • Missing a run today and doing it tomorrow.
  • Missing a run and replacing a bike workout with a run in other day.

In cases like above, should the original workout be moved within the calendar (this meas that will appear as scheduled on the new day)? The other option would be to leave it and mark the workout as skipped. Also the replacement workout should be added as an unscheduled workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing the weekly plan after the week has started [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probaly the worst answer you want but it depends.

I’m never a “just move it to next day” kinda coach. I’d normally rather an athlete skip a set than move it to another day unless I can then move other sets around. My weekly plan is straight forward. Every day of week is specific intensity so if you miss tempo Tuesday and want to move it to wed then I likely need to adjust the long run I give you for Thur and it also means the sat quality run has to be modified cus you have 24 hours less recovery than I expected. So it’s a domino effect imo. But if your telling me one off issues, then you’ll generally be fine modifying it by just doing it tomorrow. I would likely just modify rest of week which is why sometimes just skipping it is better option.

I also would build a plan that doesn’t have a lot of circumstances like this. Obviously life gets in way but if this is a weekly occurrence then the schedule needs to be modified to account for this.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 5, 21 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: Changing the weekly plan after the week has started [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a coach but have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and talked with and read a lot from various coaches. It seems like the general consensus is that the easiest and simplest thing to do is simply skip it and move on. As already mentioned, moving it has downstream effects on the rest of your week's workouts and just about everyone can use a little more rest.

p.s. I've had more than one coach mention to me that sometime plans are intentionally built (without specifically saying so) from then outset knowing that 100% compliance is virtually impossible simply because of life events. But, hit the majority of the workouts over the course of a plan and all is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Write off the season and try again next year.
You had a plan, you didn't follow it. That can't be undone!

.....do we all agree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a reasonable distribution of intensity and enough easy running in your calendar, it is usually pretty benign to move easy runs or bikes around. For me-- I try not to unreasonably spike run volume in the back half of the week/ weekend. At some point, I missed it and I write it off. But if I take an easy run monday and shift it to an easy run on what would have been a bike-only Wednesday, I don't really think twice about it.

I just make sure I don't stack massive run days back-to-back or hard run days back-to-back.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing the weekly plan after the week has started [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Probaly the worst answer you want but it depends.

I’m never a “just move it to next day” kinda coach. I’d normally rather an athlete skip a set than move it to another day unless I can then move other sets around. My weekly plan is straight forward. Every day of week is specific intensity so if you miss tempo Tuesday and want to move it to wed then I likely need to adjust the long run I give you for Thur and it also means the sat quality run has to be modified cus you have 24 hours less recovery than I expected. So it’s a domino effect imo. But if your telling me one off issues, then you’ll generally be fine modifying it by just doing it tomorrow. I would likely just modify rest of week which is why sometimes just skipping it is better option.

I handle it pretty much the same way but similarly with a “it depends” attitude (how far out is race, what was the reason for the missed session, etc)
Quote Reply