Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Most women can’t be trophy wives, but you know ... maybe you’re a participation trophy,”

Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Locker room talk doesn’t belong in church?

I’m not sure how those defending his thesis are coming to that conclusion. I agree with their idea, but it’s clear that is not what this guy meant. The way he phrased it and the words he used are for purely chauvinistic purposes. His intentions were not the same and his idea of beautiful is certainly not shared by everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
sphere wrote:
zed707 wrote:
Most women can’t be trophy wives, but you know ... maybe you’re a participation trophy,”

That's where I lost it. At least he's got a sense of humor, if not common sense, propriety, class, self awareness, etc.

I agree with the central idea of the sermon, but that's about it. It shouldn't be controversial to tell a marriage partner, man or woman, that they should attend to the likes and loves of their spouse, even in ways that some might view as superficial. Always make that effort, but knowing that love isn't contingent on the outcome. That's just common courtesy and showing love and respect for their partner. My own marriage failed in large part because neither of us paid much attention to that part of our relationship, and at times it was made explicitly clear that decisions over hairstyles and makeup and dress weren't for me, but for her. That translates as indifference bordering on disdain, and those feelings in a marriage are a nuclear bomb waiting to go off.

Maybe it's old school to remind marriage partners that it is, in fact, their duty to invest themselves in their partners happiness. Had this holy jellyroller an ounce of sense he'd have made those points without revealing himself to be a chauvinist jackass.

Lol. Yes, there's an important conversation about making your spouse happy, and there's probably an important conversation about not needing to be a super-model to participate in "sexy". That's what makes it so disappointing to see this guy blow it.

He may have had a fighting chance had he said “Men that goes for you too. You need to make your wife feel like she’s the only woman in the room. You need to keep trying to impress her. You need to look after your health and keep in shape...” *giggles* “...err turn your hymn books to page 252.”
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the video - it's even worse than the article described

He had a powerpoint presentation - so this was planned - not impromptu

"My wife was a trophy wife, now she looks like the stanley cup" (with a powerpoint slide with a picture of the cup)

If Michael Scott became a preacher....
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
I watched the video - it's even worse than the article described

He had a powerpoint presentation - so this was planned - not impromptu

"My wife was a trophy wife, now she looks like the stanley cup" (with a powerpoint slide with a picture of the cup)

If Michael Scott became a preacher....

Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the married men here go and inform your wive’s that they are awesome participation trophies. Report back, if you can. Bonus points for anyone with the balls to tell her she’s now a Stanley cup.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strong words coming from a Grey Cup himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
I

at this point God starts heckling him
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

Grey cup?

He's at best a Great Value version of a red solo cup.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Locker room talk doesn’t belong in church?

I’m not sure how those defending his thesis are coming to that conclusion. I agree with their idea, but it’s clear that is not what this guy meant. The way he phrased it and the words he used are for purely chauvinistic purposes. His intentions were not the same and his idea of beautiful is certainly not shared by everyone.

I’m not sure anyone here is defending his thesis without explicitly criticizing it for exactly the reasons you (and I) stated. He is clearly making a valid thematic point about the importance of tending to your partner’s needs, and then shitting all over it by making it cartoonishly superficial and entirely, chauvinistically, one sided.

I doubt anyone here sees it any other way.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been to church in years. I'd always daydream (or sometimes nod off) during the sermon. But this one might have kept my attention.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Grey cup?

He's at best a Great Value version of a red solo cup.

yeah, the Grey Cup. Upside down red solo cup.

Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fiancĂ© recently attended a local baptist church (middle VA) for a family baptism. The sermon was entitled “Don’t be a woman” and focused on how men need to be strong and stoic, not weak and temperamental like women. Every point about what virtuous men should be was juxtaposed negative stereotypes of women.

She and her mother walked out before they got to the baptism. Her brother and SIL thought they were being overly dramatic (well duh, they’re women).

I think wildly chauvinistic “spiritual guidance” is more common in rural American churches than we’d like to imagine.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
I haven't been to church in years. I'd always daydream (or sometimes nod off) during the sermon. But this one might have kept my attention.

Yeah, It is a shame that they didn't have a camera facing the congregation. I can picture the look on some of those women "Are you calling me a participation trophy? Oh, no you didn't."
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
My fiancĂ© recently attended a local baptist church (middle VA) for a family baptism. The sermon was entitled “Don’t be a woman” and focused on how men need to be strong and stoic, not weak and temperamental like women. Every point about what virtuous men should be was juxtaposed negative stereotypes of women.

She and her mother walked out before they got to the baptism. Her brother and SIL thought they were being overly dramatic (well duh, they’re women).

I think wildly chauvinistic “spiritual guidance” is more common in rural American churches than we’d like to imagine.

Leave it to a woman to get offended by a sermon like that. Well, that and any man who wears a man-bun.

just kidding. Tell the womens to quit throwing things at me.

I'm sure that there are plenty of preachers who think these kinds of sermons are acceptable, and even needed - but they aren't the kind of pastors that I would have sat under. Before I quit going to church, I had attended on church for much of my life. I had lifelong friends who went there and was pretty involved. I left soon after they got a new preacher.

In his first three sermons - he mentioned two different times about how he had to spank his daughters when they were misbehaving. He also badmouthed some church members from his previous church. My wife and I decided that we weren't going to attend the church anymore because of him. I miss my friends there, but I won't go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
All of the married men here go and inform your wive’s that they are awesome participation trophies. Report back, if you can. Bonus points for anyone with the balls to tell her she’s now a Stanley cup.

Do you honestly think any man would still be alive to report back after saying that to their wives?

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

That line is hilarious

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Do you honestly think any man would still be alive to report back after saying that to their wives?

Good point. Anyone that gives that a whirl needs to livestream it for our amusement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK,
This guy is hilarious.
Stand-Up comedy at its finest.

So many Zingers right back in his face. You can here the female giggles in the ‘audience’.

“An that’s why I don’t do marriage counseling anymore!”

Someone should get this guy his own show.
‘Saturday Night Life’ quality, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
The sermon was entitled “Don’t be a woman” and focused on how men need to be strong and stoic, not weak and temperamental like women.

Well, men need to be men, and women need to be women. Years ago a teacher explained that if man and woman were created in God's image, then both sexes have a complement of God's qualities, and why men and women complement each other when united.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
There is zero chance he isn't hiding some kind of deviant sexual behavior.

He probably has a No Fat Chicks bumper sticker on his windowless van.
Quote Reply
Re: Pastor's sermon - I can't understand why this didn't go over well [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
He probably has a No Fat Chicks bumper sticker on his windowless van.

Agreed. I think this guy is a legend.
Last edited by: Tri2gohard: Mar 5, 21 20:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next