Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo Caledonia 105 Optimization Project
Quote | Reply
I was fortunate enough a couple of weeks ago to "bag" a Caledonia 105 in the size and colour of my choice.

As per Dan's suggestion, I already have one (the rear) wheels as a Zipp 303s. The front Zipp is on order.

I am running Pirelli Cinturato 28mm tyres.

My uses for the bike are: pavement 70%, gravel 20%, other 10%.

In addition to the wheels, I've changed the handle bars to a more narrow and compact set, in alloy.

I also changed the seat post to a 1 bolt unit for ease of fore/aft and angle adjustments.

My next move is likely aerobars, and perhaps an alloy compact crank with 50/34.

Has anyone else got one, and if so, what have been your impressions of the bike so far? Have you done any modifications? What the heck do you guys do with the unused wheels/seat posts/handlebars?

Thnx for your advices.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia 105 Optimization Project [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once used CX bike for the "All road bike" just like you and want to share my experience.

1. Using alloy bars is a smart choice even though they are definitely heavier than carbon ones
they are stronger! and No worries about crack (I got my 3T carb bars cracked while riding some serious gravel cource)

2. 1 bolt system seat post may become PITA . They are poor and prone to be loosen someday.
I strongly recommend you using 2 bolt system. (sometimes 2 bolts ones are lighter)

3. 28c is not enough. 30c will do. Smooth 30c tires rolls as fast as 28c and more stable on cobble cource.

4. If you have a plan to do more gravel ride, you'd better have 2 sets of wheels. One for the silky road (28c, aero rim profile maybe 50mm?) and the other for the gravel (cheap, wide rim profile, 35~40c)

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Mar 3, 21 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with an Ultegra mechanical model, and changed to the following items that I had in my personal inventory.

1. Dura Ace 50x34 CS
2. Time 120 Stem
3. Cervelo 42cm Road Bars
4. Reynolds Carbon Road Wheels
5. Ritchey 34c Cross Tires on Stock DT Wheels.
6. Zipp Carbon Zero Degree Seat post.

It’s my rainy-day road bike and everyday gravel/cross bike. It is brilliant.
Last edited by: MrB: Mar 3, 21 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never met a one-bolt seatpost that I've liked.

I've been using Thompson posts (or clones) for a really long time, after my single bolt, very expensive, Look ergopost slipped in a race and I spent the last 40km falling off the front of the saddle.

2 bolt is easier to make precise adjustments as well. just loosen one bolt a little, tighten the other.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia 105 Optimization Project [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read about folks having problems with their 1 bolt seatposts but I have had one on my Scott Foil for about 7 years and although it has slipped a few times, the benefits of ease of adjustability, far outweigh the potential for slippage. A soon as I saw that evil two bolt system, I knew it had to go. So far, no regrets. My poor manual dexterity (fine motor skills) makes this a no-brainer.

Anyone slap aerobars on their Caledonia 105 yet?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the Caledonia, and I agree that I don't like "that" 2 bolt design. I've had a couple of posts that work like that, and they're a PITA to reach that front bolt.

The Thompson design is the way to go. Sooo easy....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I also changed the seat post to a 1 bolt unit for ease of fore/aft and angle adjustments.

Really? I guess 1-bolt seatposts do hold onto your angle adjustment when you loosen them, but it's so easy to adjust angle with a 2-bolt post that I've never really thought about this as an advantage for 1-bolt.

But the big issue for 1-bolt is that they rely on notching for angle retention: finer notching can result in greater vulnerability to slipping. So it's a compromise between "allows for good bike fit" and "actually works." I've given 1-bolt posts a chance a few times, but have always ended up switching to 2-bolt because I just couldn't achieve a good bike fit with the 1-bolt.

Hydrosloth wrote:
My poor manual dexterity (fine motor skills) makes this a no-brainer.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just looked at the Caledonia, and I agree that I don't like "that" 2 bolt design.

Yeah, most 2-bolt posts do not require fine motor skills to adjust.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 3, 21 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Caledonia 105 Optimization Project [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Caledonia, it's no trouble to get at the bolts at long as you are using a saddle with a cutout. If not.... well, just get one that does. :)
Quote Reply