Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I know its tempting to lash out, but try to treat Rush Limbaugh with the same dignity, respect, and humanity as he showed to rape survivors, AIDS victims, Michael J Fox, Sandra Fluke, Iraq war veterans, refugees, and the victims of mosque shootings.

“You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good. " -Bette Davis

Rush Limbaugh is dead. Good.

I’m culturally ignorant. I feel like I need to know more about Bette.
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I know its tempting to lash out, but try to treat Rush Limbaugh with the same dignity, respect, and humanity as he showed to rape survivors, AIDS victims, Michael J Fox, Sandra Fluke, Iraq war veterans, refugees, and the victims of mosque shootings.

“You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good. " -Bette Davis

Rush Limbaugh is dead. Good.

I’m culturally ignorant. I feel like I need to know more about Bette.
ROTFL

Sounds like she had an awesome dark sense of humor. I know nothing about Bette except I saw one of her flicks when I was a kid (my parents were old movie buffs), and then there was a fun pop song about her in '81 ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 21, 21 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
trail wrote:
I'll never forgive how he negatively influenced my father. My dad became a miserably, unhappy person as he started to listen non-stop. I still can't listen to My City Was Gone without being triggered. Limbaugh expertly exploited fear and anger. He was a true master of his craft, and an inspiration for millions of followers and imitators.

Though having watched several people I'm close to die of cancer, I don't wish that on anyone.

Rush's stead stream of lies tore apart many families. He was very skilled at division and exploitation. I used to listen to him, and watched his TV show back in the 90's. Eventually I came to my senses when it was clear all he did was stoke the outrage machine.

It would be an interesting study to see if Rush and his colleagues on boths sides pushed this country toward the huge divides and complete inability to think for ones self we have today or if they saw the trend and jumped on the train.

I first listened to Rush in the early 90's. In the early 90's he was clearly right leaning but was also largely dealing with real issues and for the most part, entertaining. There was a massive shift from the start of Bill Clintons presidency to the end. He shifted from right leaning, somewhat informative and somewhat entertaining to what is now the largely disconnected from reality right and completely unentertaining.

Again I wonder if more right leaning hosts, Sean Hannity et el had not appeared on the scene would he have shifted as radically.

You do have to admit that it's a bit ironic that he was so big on cigar smoking and so adamant about the idea that the "Anti-Smoking" thing was "A hoax" and he died of lung cancer.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Nutella wrote:
trail wrote:
I'll never forgive how he negatively influenced my father. My dad became a miserably, unhappy person as he started to listen non-stop. I still can't listen to My City Was Gone without being triggered. Limbaugh expertly exploited fear and anger. He was a true master of his craft, and an inspiration for millions of followers and imitators.

Though having watched several people I'm close to die of cancer, I don't wish that on anyone.

Rush's stead stream of lies tore apart many families. He was very skilled at division and exploitation. I used to listen to him, and watched his TV show back in the 90's. Eventually I came to my senses when it was clear all he did was stoke the outrage machine.

It would be an interesting study to see if Rush and his colleagues on boths sides pushed this country toward the huge divides and complete inability to think for ones self we have today or if they saw the trend and jumped on the train.

I first listened to Rush in the early 90's. In the early 90's he was clearly right leaning but was also largely dealing with real issues and for the most part, entertaining. There was a massive shift from the start of Bill Clintons presidency to the end. He shifted from right leaning, somewhat informative and somewhat entertaining to what is now the largely disconnected from reality right and completely unentertaining.

Again I wonder if more right leaning hosts, Sean Hannity et el had not appeared on the scene would he have shifted as radically.

You do have to admit that it's a bit ironic that he was so big on cigar smoking and so adamant about the idea that the "Anti-Smoking" thing was "A hoax" and he died of lung cancer.

~Matt

I'm sorry, what "both sides" are you talking about? Please provide the names of any left leaning / progressive radio personality that A). was anywhere near as vitriolic as rush; B). had anywhere near the same listenership / reach?

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alphadogcycling wrote:
MJuric wrote:
Nutella wrote:
trail wrote:

~Matt

I'm sorry, what "both sides" are you talking about? Please provide the names of any left leaning / progressive radio personality that A). was anywhere near as vitriolic as rush; B). had anywhere near the same listenership / reach?

Dont blame Rush for that ?

It was not for a lack of trying, just no one listened ? If you lean left you already have enough media sources.
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
alphadogcycling wrote:

It was not for a lack of trying, just no one listened ? If you lean left you already have enough media sources.

This may be the most damning critique of conservatives I have seen in a long time.

Just very telling that conservatives will listen in droves to despicable human being, but for some strange reason non-conservatives are not attracted to the same behavior. Thanks for bringing that up.
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twist it whatever way makes you feel good about yourself. You are good at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:
alphadogcycling wrote:

This may be the most damning critique of conservatives I have seen in a long time.

Just very telling that conservatives will listen in droves to despicable human being, but for some strange reason non-conservatives are not attracted to the same behavior. Thanks for bringing that up.

Oh come on. Air America radio was huuuuge.
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:

Hey you were the one that pointed out that only conservatives liked that sort of style. Don't blame me for pointing out what you said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:

Hey you were the one that pointed out that only conservatives liked that sort of style. Don't blame me for pointing out what you said.

This is their classic "have cake and it it too" argument regarding the media.

Conservatives: "The media is all liberal."

Also conservatives: "No one watches or listens to leftists in the media."

More people need to start figuring out that they are full of shit 100% of the time.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:

More people need to start figuring out that they are full of shit 100% of the time.

You would think there would be some self reflection about why these cruel and biggoted media figures are so successful on the conservative side, but not on non-conservative media? Maybe they should have a bit of self reflection why that happens? Because obviously Rush was super successful, why are those that tried the same template on the left not nearly as successful?

I know why, because asking, "are we the baddies?" is not a comfortable thing to reflect on. But come on, you guys are wearing hats with skulls on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
BarryP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:

You would think there would be some self reflection about why these cruel and biggoted media figures are so successful on the conservative side, but not on non-conservative media? Maybe they should have a bit of self reflection why that happens? Because obviously Rush was super successful, why are those that tried the same template on the left not nearly as successful?

I know why, because asking, "are we the baddies?" is not a comfortable thing to reflect on. But come on, you guys are wearing hats with skulls on them.

In fairness, liberal audiences just get their stuff from a different point of view. Massive amounts of celebrity worship that leads people to blindly follow whatever their star of the moment is virtue signalling about, plus a lot of snark. While a certain segment of the right leaning audience listens to stuff that feeds their anger, a similar portion of the left audience listens to stuff that feeds their view of smug self superiority (Bill Maher, John Stewart, Samantha Bee, etc).

More interestingly, Limbaugh died 5 days ago, and you guys are still talking about this. He was a terrible nasty guy, but he's also clearly living his afterlife rent-free in your heads.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
BarryP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:

In fairness, liberal audiences just get their stuff from a different point of view. Massive amounts of celebrity worship that leads people to blindly follow whatever their star of the moment is virtue signalling about, plus a lot of snark. While a certain segment of the right leaning audience listens to stuff that feeds their anger, a similar portion of the left audience listens to stuff that feeds their view of smug self superiority (Bill Maher, John Stewart, Samantha Bee, etc).

More interestingly, Limbaugh died 5 days ago, and you guys are still talking about this. He was a terrible nasty guy, but he's also clearly living his afterlife rent-free in your heads.

Everyone virtues signals, that is not a right or left thing.. But why is virtue signalling on the right Rush Limbaugh and on the left John Stewart? That was my point. You are making my point exactly, on the right you had Rush and the left you had John Stewart. That is a very damning comparison for the right. Because while John Stewart was smug, he was not spreading hate like Rush.

I was pointing out why do people like Rush get success on the right and only the right? Why is there not an equivalent to John Stewart on the right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
slowguy wrote:
chaparral wrote:
BarryP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
KKG wrote:

Everyone virtues signals, that is not a right or left thing.. But why is virtue signalling on the right Rush Limbaugh and on the left John Stewart? That was my point. You are making my point exactly, on the right you had Rush and the left you had John Stewart. That is a very damning comparison for the right. Because while John Stewart was smug, he was not spreading hate like Rush.

I was pointing out why do people like Rush get success on the right and only the right? Why is there not an equivalent to John Stewart on the right?

I think this is based on the fundamental nature of conservatism vs liberalism (in politics). Conservatism is roughly based on maintaining structure and things the way they have been. Liberalism is more about change. It’s easier to make the latter into funny snarky commentary than it is for the former.

I also wouldn’t say John Stewart is the left analogue to Limbaugh, just an example of the kind of stuff that liberal audiences gravitate towards.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose Maher might be a little better analogue to RL than Stewart, in that he's kinda more acerbic and can be meaner when it comes to calling others out. While Stewart can certainly be critical, he still somehow brings a level of earnestness and less callousness to it than Maher. Stewart (and Colbert, and even Maher to a lesser degree) can also still throw in bits where they're the butt of their own jokes, which is not the sort of self-awareness I ever see/hear from their counterparts on the Right.
Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
I suppose Maher might be a little better analogue to RL than Stewart, in that he's kinda more acerbic and can be meaner when it comes to calling others out. While Stewart can certainly be critical, he still somehow brings a level of earnestness and less callousness to it than Maher. Stewart (and Colbert, and even Maher to a lesser degree) can also still throw in bits where they're the butt of their own jokes, which is not the sort of self-awareness I ever see/hear from their counterparts on the Right.

Sure. Again, I wasn’t offering Stewart as a left version of Limbaugh. Just an example of the style of stuff liberals lean towards.

That said, there were segments on his show that were definitely mean spirited, and designed to make conservative people look as stupid as possible. Some of the segments where he sent “correspondents” out to talk to people who clearly didn’t know they were being made fun of were pretty cringeworthy. Stewart also got meaner the longer he was on the show. If you put one of his shows from his last year up against one from much earlier, I think you’d see a noticeable change in tone, and not for the better.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Rush Limbaugh RIP [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The world is a better place without him. I hope the afterlife has as much empathy and he shared for this country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
If you put one of his shows from his last year up against one from much earlier, I think you’d see a noticeable change in tone, and not for the better.

Probably correct. And you've probably also noticed that the vitriol on the other side has ratcheted up.

I don't mean this as a "but but but righties". More just that he probably felt that he needed to fight fire with fire.

What's the right approach? I have no idea.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next