Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just answering your question about total capacity.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. Thanks. That's all set
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the OP - did you ever solve this issue? If so, interested in hearing how, as I have the same problem. Front mech hits 53T ring no matter what height it is set if fully tightened. The set screw is backed out, and tightening it makes the tie in angle worse, not better.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [rvaart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fix for this was to get a Dura Ace FD. The old version dura ace di2 and ultegra di2 work with bigger chainrings.
The new Ultegra di2 FD does not allow for anything bigger than a 53t.

So my solution was an older version Dura Ace Di2 FD. Has worked ever since!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
My fix for this was to get a Dura Ace FD. The old version dura ace di2 and ultegra di2 work with bigger chainrings.

How to you come to that conclusion? - depends on the difference between the chain rings. Frame and/or hanger is the limiter of the chain ring size, as long as they’re matched to 16 teeth, not the front derailleur itself. I’ve run Aerocoach 54/40 oval rings on the 8050 FD without any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [rvaart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rvaart wrote:
To the OP - did you ever solve this issue? If so, interested in hearing how, as I have the same problem. Front mech hits 53T ring no matter what height it is set if fully tightened. The set screw is backed out, and tightening it makes the tie in angle worse, not better.
What part of the mech hits the chain ring?
When you install the FD, it Can usually be wiggled around a little before tightening it.
Uncrew the adjustment bolt, so it’s backed out to be flush with the mech. Install the mech at an angle that points a little too much toward the chain stays, and adjust using the bolt.
If the adjusting bolt isn’t totally flush with the mech, you don’t have the full range of adjustment
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
swim_corey_run wrote:

How to you come to that conclusion? - depends on the difference between the chain rings. Frame and/or hanger is the limiter of the chain ring size, as long as they’re matched to 16 teeth, not the front derailleur itself. I’ve run Aerocoach 54/40 oval rings on the 8050 FD without any issues.

Yeah, I'm really really sure that my Trinity has the 8050 FD and I run 56/42 rings on a Quarq/dub setup with a chain drop thingy. Now, it is all the way to the tip top of the braze on hanger, but still. This solution of theirs seems odd given I run an even larger ring setup just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
brasch wrote:
swim_corey_run wrote:

Yeah, I'm really really sure that my Trinity has the 8050 FD and I run 56/42 rings on a Quarq/dub setup with a chain drop thingy. Now, it is all the way to the tip top of the braze on hanger, but still. This solution of theirs seems odd given I run an even larger ring setup just fine.

As I wrote en the post after, it’s probably just a matter of incorrect initial position, the frame bolt/screw too far in from the start, since it determines the angle of the whole derailleur, not just the cage, when mounting it.

Technically, I did have issues with those chain rings, But it was unrelated to the FD and related to the rings themselves
Last edited by: brasch: Jun 14, 22 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Front Derailleur [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
rvaart wrote:
What part of the mech hits the chain ring?
When you install the FD, it Can usually be wiggled around a little before tightening it.
Uncrew the adjustment bolt, so it’s backed out to be flush with the mech. Install the mech at an angle that points a little too much toward the chain stays, and adjust using the bolt.
If the adjusting bolt isn’t totally flush with the mech, you don’t have the full range of adjustment

The contact happens on the far rear end, inside. Ive tried putting a little twist like you’ve described, but when I tighten the bolt to the hanger, it straightens back out. If I keep the twist, and don’t tighten hard, the bolt loosens over a short period of time and the whole thing slides down. Im currently trying a folded up piece of Diet Coke can between the mech and the hanger on the outside side in the hopes it puts enough angle on the mech to do what you describe. Very confounding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next