Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Training after covid vaccine [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my first Pfizer shot yesterday.

Did anyone suffer from inability to sleep? I normally can sleep within 10 minutes of lying down; however, I was awake in bed for hours.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the first Moderna shot yesterday. After 3h I started to feel the arm a little sore. This hadn't impacted my sleep, however I woke up before the alarm clock and the soreness still there. Due to this soreness I decided to skip the morning run and just wait and see how I feel after work. What I noticed about this soreness is the fact that if I try to raise my arm over the shoulder it's getting worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in my athlete & friend's cohorts (N=~50) it seems the reactions range from only a sore shoulder to wiped out for 3d with flu like symptoms. These are from Pfizer, Moderna and the J&J shot.

If you're feeling fine I'd say go do it, if you're starting to feel bad rest, take the dog for a longer than normal walk etc.

I've seen 4+ w/kg athletes not be able to hold 150w for > 30 min due to lethargy and I've seen people 2d post shot ripping the legs off their training partners. I've seen people not be able to run down the street and I've seen people who have been feeling fine but ran 1min/mile slower.

The side effects are all over the board except for soreness at the injection site, that's a given.

When in doubt take the day off, sleep in a bit more, take a nap, play some xbox, put your feet up, read a book. Resting & sleeping are really the most underutilized training interventions that one has.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nav|gator wrote:
I got the first Moderna shot yesterday. After 3h I started to feel the arm a little sore. This hadn't impacted my sleep, however I woke up before the alarm clock and the soreness still there. Due to this soreness I decided to skip the morning run and just wait and see how I feel after work. What I noticed about this soreness is the fact that if I try to raise my arm over the shoulder it's getting worse.

I just had my second Moderna shot an hour ago. Sore arm for several days after the first shot and nine days after the first shot I had an itchy rash for around two days. I’ve taken today and tomorrow off of work, as I’ve heard side effects are usually worse for the second shot. Hoping that’s not the case, but I will report back in a day to say.

Training wasn’t impacted after first shot other than arm soreness. Hurt a bit while running, and haven’t been in a pool in 13 months, so can’t comment on swimming.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Apr 13, 21 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:

So...I know 5 people who have had both Moderna shots:

My parents (in their 70s) - no noticeable reaction to either.

My training partner (female -30s) - knocked out more or less with flu symptoms/fatigue for 36 hours after second shot, then fine.

My partner (male - 50s) - had massive chills and then a fever overnight after second shot, followed by staying in bed all the next day with a headache and fatigue, then fine.

Myself (female - 40s) - I had my second shot yesterday morning. I had a fever overnight, and a bit tired this morning with a sore arm. It's not awful. I just feel like one would a few days after a hard long race, fatigue-wise. Should note that I raced a half-marathon on Saturday, so that could be part of my fatigue as well.

So...it seems to vary a lot. I was expecting to be hit much harder than I was.

I had my second shot of Moderna last week and it was rough the next day. Had chills, fever, body aches and a terrible headache. The headache was the worst part. My husband also had the same symptoms. Luckily by the end of the day we were much better. So it didn't last as long as we feared. We are in our early 50s. My 82 year old father in law also had his second moderna shot the previous week and had zero symptoms. Both our arms were very sore again. And my FIL said his arm was fine.

I did have a co-worker in her 30s who also had similar symptoms to myself after her second moderna shot. She is not an athlete and my husband and I are triathletes. Not sure if that even matters.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first dose of Phizer was a piece of cake. I didn't even feel the shot and had no soreness.

The second dose I didn't feel the shot either. I swam that morning. I got it at 8:45am. I ran five miles at 5:30pm. A 6:54min/mi pace with 127bpm average HR. Felt great! Went to bed at 9pm. Woke up at 11pm freezing cold with chills. Got a another blanket and laid back down. I had terrible body aches, fever, chills, sweats, headache, and thirst. I slept over 10 hours, but was up constantly through the night.

I bagged training the next day. I had to work and work late unfortunately. I felt better each day thereafter. I did notice an inordinate amount of sweating for a few days during training. A ridiculous amount really, like I'd been very sick.

My immune response was huge. I feel very good about it. I know my immune system recognizes the Rona as a foreign invader and won't hesitate to go into overdrive just short of killing me.

My GF has asthma and food allergies. She got the Moderna and had a similar reaction. It was severe and I'd recommend planning for it ahead of time. It kicked my ass. In fact neither of us can recall the last time we were that damn sick, although she did feel like crap after her first shot but nothing remotely close to the second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got my 2nd Pfizer shot Sunday.

shot #1 (4 PM) - fine that night, had a wicked headache for days after and felt mildly hungover the next day. Still rode my bike on the trainer for ~2.5 hours and was generally ok. Sore arm for ~4 days but I still swam.

shot #2 (3 PM) - immediately a bit off feeling, the next day (morning) just a headache and feeling slightly off. Then at exactly 24 hours in, I got chills and muscle aches (no fever). Took a 2 hour nap. Overnight, slept 9 hours, woke up today (~36 hours after the shot) and I feel much better. Arm is definitely sore.

I intentionally planned a rest day for the day following my 2nd shot. Glad I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd shot Moderna yesterday

After first just sore arm and did my normal workout (bike intervals and run)

#2 Sore arm and some chills last night, I had planned easy day both due to the shot and because I ran HM on Sunday. Did easy spin on bike, and may run later. Mostly tired but attribute part to the fact I didn't sleep well.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I've seen 4+ w/kg athletes not be able to hold 150w for > 30 min due to lethargy

I'm now a week out from my first shot, and still feeling lethargic. Last night I struggled to hold 1.5w/kg for a 30 minute trainer session...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [hiker726] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. For me it was pretty much a nothing burger same as the first one.

Mon AM - Swim 4,000 yards, vax at 11am.
Mon PM - Walk 3.7 miles (can't run) + 45 mins dryland. Left arm slightly sore.
Tue AM - Bike 90 mins easy on trainer, I feel absolutely fine.
Tue PM - Will probably swim 2500 yards and then back on the bike trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dragged for a few days after first Pfizer shot. Felt lethargic and off, and just took things as they came. 2nd shot next Wednesday, planning to take a rest week and keep things mellow. Don't see any reason to further stress immune system and let body do its thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after covid vaccine [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
in my athlete & friend's cohorts (N=~50) it seems the reactions range from only a sore shoulder to wiped out for 3d with flu like symptoms. These are from Pfizer, Moderna and the J&J shot.

If you're feeling fine I'd say go do it, if you're starting to feel bad rest, take the dog for a longer than normal walk etc.

I've seen 4+ w/kg athletes not be able to hold 150w for > 30 min due to lethargy and I've seen people 2d post shot ripping the legs off their training partners. I've seen people not be able to run down the street and I've seen people who have been feeling fine but ran 1min/mile slower.

The side effects are all over the board except for soreness at the injection site, that's a given.

When in doubt take the day off, sleep in a bit more, take a nap, play some xbox, put your feet up, read a book. Resting & sleeping are really the most underutilized training interventions that one has.

After the first shot I couldn't put watts out for a little over a week. I'm usually at 230W for aerobic rides but could barely put up 200W. I know that's not as huge as not holding 150 but it was still a noticeable fatigue and the only thing I can think of is the shot. Oddly enough my run and swim felt fine. All are back to normal now. Had a 240W ride for 90 minutes on Friday and my HR stayed aerobic followed by a 230W ride for 3 hours on Sunday. I get my 2nd shot in 15 days and it'll be interesting to see how I respond. I was initially thinking of signing up for a mid to late May race but I may hold off. I'm racing in June so no need to rush it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next