Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, really appreciate that!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [trainerdave924] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things I do.....

Put them against the wall w/ the wall closest their dominant side. Put them in run shoes and just get used to the rollers for like 3 sessions in a row.....Rollers are fun until the "oh shit" moment and they slide off. I suggest putting them in helmets as a precaution (yes it looks dorky but it's a safe move). When using rollers, don't do anything "intense" just use the rollers for skills acquisition....IE start in run shoes. Then get them working clipped in. Going for 4-5 mins at a time and then a break. Repeat for 30 or so mins and then build up. Rollers are intense in that 15s feels like 2 mins, etc so they'll be concentrating hardcore. Eventually they'll get the hang of it and be able to talk to you. Work up to 1 hand on handlebars, no hands, pulling bottle off, throwing a ball to someone beside them. You'll notice their comfort and confidence go up really quickly. My DL rule is they have to ride no hands on rollers before I feel confident in putting them in DL races.

There's been random "coaches" in the JE ranks that have put athletes in races above their skill level. There was an 1st year athlete who had only raced 2 DL races take out my athlete and break her foot and cause her to miss xc season because she swerved into my athlete in the front group of the race near the dismount line. Granted that type of stuff can happen to experienced DL athletes but when you find out it's an athlete who's very raw and inexperienced on a bike, you get a little salty when the coach doesn't recognize the safety of others.

If I knew how to post an video, we had Tamara Gorman play catch while on the rollers no handed once at the OTC. Super funny. By the end of the semster your athletes will be texting you while on rollers, they'll get that good if they can do it weekly.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
A few things I do.....

Put them against the wall w/ the wall closest their dominant side. Put them in run shoes and just get used to the rollers for like 3 sessions in a row.....Rollers are fun until the "oh shit" moment and they slide off. I suggest putting them in helmets as a precaution (yes it looks dorky but it's a safe move). When using rollers, don't do anything "intense" just use the rollers for skills acquisition....IE start in run shoes. Then get them working clipped in. Going for 4-5 mins at a time and then a break. Repeat for 30 or so mins and then build up. Rollers are intense in that 15s feels like 2 mins, etc so they'll be concentrating hardcore. Eventually they'll get the hang of it and be able to talk to you. Work up to 1 hand on handlebars, no hands, pulling bottle off, throwing a ball to someone beside them. You'll notice their comfort and confidence go up really quickly. My DL rule is they have to ride no hands on rollers before I feel confident in putting them in DL races.
The new intake of juniors at the Thailand Triathlon Association training camp.It is all about the rollers.

Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Dave the bar has been set....let's get a picture of the Drury girls on here in a few months!

Good luck!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 14, 21 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
A few things I do.....

The new intake of juniors at the Thailand Triathlon Association training camp.It is all about the rollers.

Awesome Nick!! Looks like they're sponsored by Giant too.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA women's tri team looking for strategic partners [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do. Honestly appreciate all the advice you have given!
Quote Reply

Prev Next