Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
Well, given that Florida is the state with the greatest rate of increase of the UK COVID variant and how Texas has a strong record of science based public policy, of course the races will go on. Never underestimate the power of greed and ignorance has on doing the wrong thing.

Since the basis of your argument is taking a potshot at Texas and Florida, I've attached a graph of the normalized case counts for California, New York, Texas and Florida. Isn't it obvious which ones are doing it right and wrong? Maybe if Texas locked down like California, they would be doing as good as California?

If only Texas and Florida would have kept their schools closed like California did!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be so darn glib. A bunch of people riding their bikes on the road and a bunch of people running on a bike path; this is a recipe for hundreds and hundreds of deaths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be a very local decision by Galveston as Texas for the most part is leaving it up to the local officials and rightfully so. Yes Galveston was cancelled last Nov but i am still not too confident it had little to do with the city. I am planning on it happening and probably will do something that weekend in Galveston whether they have the race or not....anybody up to a self supported 70.3???

In regards to right policy I have resolved to believe that know one knows the right policy other than 100% lockdown does not work and no restrictions at all does not work.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
This is going to be a very local decision by Galveston as Texas for the most part is leaving it up to the local officials and rightfully so. Yes Galveston was cancelled last Nov but i am still not too confident it had little to do with the city. I am planning on it happening and probably will do something that weekend in Galveston whether they have the race or not....anybody up to a self supported 70.3???

In regards to right policy I have resolved to believe that know one knows the right policy other than 100% lockdown does not work and no restrictions at all does not work.

Where have you seen a 100% lockdown?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not so sure, the state seems to be taking a more cautioned approach finally as the Capitol 10k was cancelled 2 weeks ago, almost 3 months before the event date. It's a bigger event than Galveston in the city centre, certainly, but does suggest that any race in the spring is iffy at best.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the race is iffy but Austin is still quite a bit different than the rest of TX in terms of covid restrictions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
...Austin is still quite a bit different than the rest of TX in terms of covid restrictions.
And maybe in terms of a few other things.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I am not so sure, the state seems to be taking a more cautioned approach finally as the Capitol 10k was cancelled 2 weeks ago, almost 3 months before the event date. It's a bigger event than Galveston in the city centre, certainly, but does suggest that any race in the spring is iffy at best.
Living in Austin, I seriously doubt the state had any input on canceling the Cap10k.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 weeks out ..... any guesses on when they will decide? Would be nice if not last minute and after people make flight arrangements and lodging only to lose more $$
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised by some of the responses here. As a Floridian, I've been following this closely. Infection rates here are on the decline and have been for quite sometime. Florida also has the highest vaccination rate of any large state. I fully expect the infection rates to be much lower a month from now. There is no reason we can't be racing in April. I've completed four races during the pandemic, each at a time when the infection rates were much higher than they are now. I felt totally safe at each event, and there hasn't been so much of a hint of any of those races causing spread. In fact, has anyone ever heard of anyone getting infected at a race? I haven't. All the the evidence I've seen suggests that outdoor infections are rare.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not about getting infected at a race but whether area parks, counties, etc will allow gatherings and the necessary staff needed to put on a race. This includes law enforcement, safety, volunteers, permits etc. Ironman could easily reach out to the needed outside assistance and decide if a race will be feasible. Instead of waiting to the last minute.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd still be shocked if these races do not take place. I'm registered for Galveston and fully expect to be racing. My coach has some pretty solid connections and from everything he's hearing he's pretty confident that the race will be a go.

Reasons for optimism continue keep popping up. Even here in NV where the gov tends to do what the moron in California does; there was a running race scheduled for last weekend that was canceled but a set of races by the same organization scheduled for March 13 is giving every indication that the race will take place.

Obviously the two aren't related, but the situation is improving rapidly pretty much across the board. Barring any serious setbacks, like major setbacks, I would feel pretty good about Florida and Galveston taking place. I could be wrong though!
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have registered for Hawaii 70.3 on June 5th and I doubt it will happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the last week, almost no one is testing positive in Texas. Possible it had to do with half the hospitals having no water and power...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one can extrapolate the increase in covid after thanksgiving/Christmas, it might be a huge drop after our 6 day mandatory statewide lockdown. The government couldn’t do it (and shouldn’t, imho) but the weather can and did. I couldn’t get I because I was too late, but I’m pretty sure Galveston will occur.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The Woodlands Marathon on the 6th of March is still on:

https://www.thewoodlandsmarathon.com/

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the chance of Texas 70.3 and Fla 70.3 happening in April? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Woodlands marathon is not nearly as big and still has tons of openings for athletes and needing volunteers.

I do understand what you mean that regardless it’s still on for now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next