Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
I know it’s too soon to be talking about after CoVid but what I’m wondering is if any of ST nation types out there have begun to rethink their views on Triathlon and it’s role in your life....

More or less important? Why?

Any changing thoughts about training and the amount of time it takes?

Will you race more or less?

Pursue different or additional endurance sports....

Indoor vs, outside training?

Anything else?

———

I plan to race a bunch of local races as soon as I can...hopefully this year. I’m planning one more long-course season and then I might branch away from Tri and climbing a bit....maybe more cycling...

I can’t wait to ride outside with training buds...I’ve always been good at long solo stuff, but enough as enough...Zwift fatigue is also sitting in a bit...

Endurance will always be important to me but I’m thinking maybe more travel based adventures (snow-boarding, surfing, kayaking...that sorta thing....)

How about you?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, this entire period reminds me why I train and its not to race, because I did my biggest training year in >15 years in 2020. It is just to exercise and keep doing this stuff. In terms of racing though, I need racing for the social and head to head, but I don't need big races. In 2019 I did all local racing after a 4 year hiatus and in 2020 did the Dubai70.3 just before lockdown and I did have a blast, but the large race came with many upsides, but also many headaches that you dont have to put up with locally.

So I will take big races when they happen, but will be fine withoout them. I generally have no interest in virtual racing. To me that is exercising while uploading results. the results are not comparable just because everyone's race is so variable even with trainer calibration, treadmill calibration, different conditions for outdoor etc etc. So I would just rather workout on my own and time myself and just compare myself with myself if I am solo. I don't mind the idea of virtual events with no result...just complete whatever distance for the challenge. For example if there was a virtual ultraman Hawaii where you had to complete the distance and have gold over 3 days silver over 5 days, bronze over a week, I could get into something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion of and interest in the sport hasn't changed at all.There have been all kinds of events going on,from sprints to Ironman, here in Queensland since September and I am looking forward to starting my year with an ocean swim race on the 21st of this month. The only think that sucks is that I can't go back to Thailand and Malaysia to race and hang out in the foreseeable future. I have always done a lot of bike touring and that hasn't changed either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'll really know until I return post pandemic to the tri training and racing routine I've been doing, until March, for more than 30 years. I'm a bit surprised that I have been fairly content training by myself since March with a sole focus on trail running except for 3 short solo tris I did last summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I can pin down an exact date, but I'm sure it's been a year now since I've been in a pool

So there's that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No change.....COVID doesn't even make the list of things that have an impact on what I think about the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH look it's you again?!

It never occurred to you that it isn't science that doesn't make sense, but rather your understanding of it is flawed and leading you to making wrong conclusions?
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No change. I’m a workout addict, and haven’t let up at all. I’m a loner, so my training hasn’t been effected. My pool opened back up in July, so no problem there. I race when they come along, because I’m fit, but don’t specifically train for them.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've very concretely noticed that I'm not really the super keen type despite being guite competitive in my AG.

Due to home-office my commuting bike rides have fallen away reducing bike volume drastically (6-10h/week). Since the ice-rinks were closed my typical winter training of 3-5h of hockey has fallen away as well and obviously I'm not swimming either.

Between indoor bike rides and running I struggle to put together 7h training weeks and even that feel like a lot. That'll probably increases a bit once outdoor cycling becomes a bit more feasible, but it is still clear that I find higher priorities my time when the option (non-commuting) is there, which I guess it will be going forward since we are all used to this now.

I have Roth in the summer (unless cancelled again), will be interesting to see what I manage. If it goes reasonably well and I'm happy, maybe I'll do a few more and try for one more Kona, if it is a 11h sufferfest, then I think thats it.
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I can pin down an exact date, but I'm sure it's been a year now since I've been in a pool
---

I can pin done mine. The last time I was in the pool was on Friday the 13th, March 2020. We received news the next day that schools were shutting down, and with them a crap ton of other stuff including the pool. The pool's open now but we canceled out membership since there was no incentive to pay them for something we couldn't use.

Honestly, I'm waiting for any sort of communication from the RDs for our local events. If they decide to have a race and it resembles anything that I'd find fun, I'll look forward to racing. Until then, I'm training better than I have in a while and trying to stay healthy. If racing doesn't happen, for whatever reason, I'll still be having a blast with the lifestyle.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I've realized (even more) that I really enjoy running and cycling, but only swim because of racing. I'm really not looking forward to getting back in the pool, and at 34/M and working at a startup I'm starting to question how much longer I'll stick with triathlon. Maybe I'll catch the bug again, we'll see, but the scheduling and volume demands are just so high to stay competitive, and personally I'm not going to do it unless I'm really going for it. If I "retire" I would focus on running or cycling, but what sucks is that while I'm "good" at both, and hence a pretty good (FOP) AG triathlete, I'm not elite in either and probably can't get there. This then leads to thoughts of "well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, suck it up and swim!" but... I've done that for years, and it gets old. Again, maybe all of this will change once I'm swimming and racing again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On 11 Feb it will be a year since I swam.

I just can’t see me going back to using all my holidays for travel to races. The year off And lack of social interaction has made me reassess what I want to do with free time/money.

Really hopeful we can reconnect with friends soon and start getting back to Social interaction.
Quote Reply
Re: So, how do you think “after” CoVid you’ll look at Triathlon? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the world is changed forever - for work, travel, and recreational/sporting activities. You have people all over the spectrum in terms of the comfort level, and no one way to approach it going forward is wrong. But undoubtedly changed forever.
Quote Reply