Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dedicated trainer bike
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA with some carbon damage.
Now i have the plan to strip al the di2 parts for the new frame. And use the bike only on my Elite trainer.

Is it useful to put a rear derailleur on it? And can i put it i a fixed position without a shifter?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated trainer bike [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it useful to put a rear derailleur on it?

Do you use Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated trainer bike [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, only trainerroad

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I have a Felt IA with some carbon damage.
Now i have the plan to strip al the di2 parts for the new frame. And use the bike only on my Elite trainer.

Is it useful to put a rear derailleur on it? And can i put it i a fixed position without a shifter?

If you are only ever going to ride in ERG mode, then that's fine to run without a shifter. You'll have to do some jury rigging to run it without a shifter (or get a chain tensioner - eg https://www.jensonusa.com/...ator-Chain-Tensioner )

I don't think I'd want to just run ERG mode though. pick up the cheapest shimano derailleurs and shifters you can find. you could even clamp on mountain bike shifters (it'll look a little janky, but it will work).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have horizontal rear dropouts? If yes, you could rig it up without a rear derailleur. I've set up a Cervelo P3 as a track bike using the very short horizontal rear dropouts.

BUT, unless you are racing the bike at a velodrome it will most likely not be worth the hassle. Done properly you would want to use a single speed chain sized properly to a single speed rear cog.

Just scrounge up any old shifter and rear derailleur and put them on your frame. You can forego internal cabling and run housing externally from the shifter to the derailleur if it is easier. I've run a Shimano bar end shifter in friction mode with 7, 8 and 9 speed systems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an old bike as the dedicated zwift bike. However there are times when you do want to chuck your race bike on for a session or two - that time 1 month out from raceday and you need to do a long ride in TT position and the heavens conspire against you to send a cyclone. Which is ever February in NZ 4 weeks out from IMNZ....

Anyway, for that reason, having the same cassette on the trainer makes life a fraction easier. And so if you can chuck a mechanical mech on there with same gearing, it'll help. But not critical.

What is critical is having a cassette, as no matter what software / setup you have, being able to change gears to rapidly increase / decrease load is going to be helpful for nailing short intervals, and obviously if you do end up doing zwift 'world' riding, you'd really want gears. As mentioned, friction shifters would be fine in this situation if that's all you can find, especially on a TT setup. Finding STI shifters for 9/10speed is not that easy nowadays though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just get it fixed? I just got a speed concept fixed for 400. It's worth way more than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my old roadie frame as a dedicated zwift/trainer bike. Just used an old Shimano derailleur I had laying around and a new MicroShift brifter (with exposed cables ;P ) off eBay ($65). Works great, and weight/aero/braking are irrelevant on the trainer. You can even do hacky stuff (ex. a brifter on the aero extensions) that would never make sense out on the road.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use cheap and/or used mountain bike drive train parts. 8 or 9 speed will work fine on the trainer
Quote Reply