Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite
Quote | Reply
Just saw this, the “Big Four” (Mark Allen, Scott Molina, Dave Scott, and Scott Tinley) got together for the first time in about a decade a few days ago. They gave an un-moderated zoom panel during USA Triathlon’s Endurance Exchange Expo.

I wonder if the zoom is saved and available to stream post event?

Highlights here:
https://www.triathlete.com/...ns-big-four-reunite/

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see this.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Molina...
Scott Molina: “I feel just the opposite. If I were to be born in the modern era, not the dinosaur era like you guys…my experience in the sport was the learning, and the experimenting, and the unknown. And it seems now that along with all the technology and the coaching…there’s so much information that the young, aspiring, growing athlete doesn’t have to find out for themselves. It’s all provided to them, for them. And to me, not having that was what I loved about sports. Like, ‘I don’t know, but I’m gonna find out, I’m gonna try.’ To me, it seems like there’s a lot less of that today.”

I am glad I started training and racing in the 80's and training for Ironman/Ultraman in the 90's as it was all a grand adventure. Training was chaos,with every day an excuse to destroy your mates and races were just an awesome excuse to have an epic after party.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hear hear. i'm only 40 but did my first olympic distance in '95. i feel like i got in at a fairly good time.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is accessible now until mid April on the Endurance Exchange site if you pay the $50 registration fee. I'm sure that fee is worth it for anyone in the tri biz, but I'm not paying that just to watch the Big 4 ask each other questions. I would pay $9.99 to just to watch their discussion. :) Thanks to Triathlete for providing some highlights. This Big 4 discussion from 2012 moderated by Bob Babbitt is on Youtube if you haven't seen it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. It was a fun read and like everyone, I would love to see the whole exchange.

When I started racing tris in 1986 (I still have my bike from those days), there was the Big Four - especially for long distance - and then there was everyone else. If memory serves me, it seems that Scott Molina was a bit better at Oly distance events and there was another guy at the time - Mike Pigg - who did really well in short distance. Kenny Glah was another name...and he is still around...now competing as an age grouper in Kona.

If you like this kinda stuff (ie the history of the sport), here is a nice website: http://www.trihistory.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running and Triathlon news and Competitor Magazine were the social media in the 80's and 90's. I remember reading about the big 4 in Competitor and idolizing them. Kenny Souza, Mike Durkin, and Emilio DeSoto were also studs among Cali heroes. My high school coach Bob Augello started Team Kahlua and helped Kenny a lot even got him a Haral tri bike which he rode for many years.
I remember the Desert Princess biathlon and cheering for Kenny in his flo green tank and speedo, good times !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I agree with Molina...
Scott Molina: “I feel just the opposite. If I were to be born in the modern era, not the dinosaur era like you guys…my experience in the sport was the learning, and the experimenting, and the unknown. And it seems now that along with all the technology and the coaching…there’s so much information that the young, aspiring, growing athlete doesn’t have to find out for themselves. It’s all provided to them, for them. And to me, not having that was what I loved about sports. Like, ‘I don’t know, but I’m gonna find out, I’m gonna try.’ To me, it seems like there’s a lot less of that today.”

I am glad I started training and racing in the 80's and training for Ironman/Ultraman in the 90's as it was all a grand adventure. Training was chaos,with every day an excuse to destroy your mates and races were just an awesome excuse to have an epic after party.

Completely agree with this. I wasn't racing tris in 80s/early 90s but running competitively then riding competitively. We would just go out and kill ourselves day after day. We got undeniable lessons of where are limits were and how to truly suffer (and love it and learn from it). Of course, all that's known now, it wasn't optimal... but it sure was fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
I agree with Molina...

Completely agree with this. I wasn't racing tris in 80s/early 90s but running competitively then riding competitively. We would just go out and kill ourselves day after day. We got undeniable lessons of where are limits were and how to truly suffer (and love it and learn from it). Of course, all that's known now, it wasn't optimal... but it sure was fun.

To each his own. I feel MUCH more knowledgeable about training, nutrition, recovery etc than i did in college while I was rowing. I feel like I would be much better off equipped with the knowledge, understanding, resources etc I have now if I had them at age 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno Nick. Just because the info is out there, and we should know better, doesn't necessarily mean we are gonna find the info, and even if we did... heed the advice (for better or for worse).

I took a few forkfuls of advice from Steve Brown in prepping for the Ultra 520K but for a lot of it, I was in adventure mode, just to see of "this shit" would work. "Shit" being 12 hour training rides, learning how to eat pizza while swimming, racing an Olympic tri 15 hours after a 220 K fondo, and doing a 2 hour run with an Aussie in the heat a day after that just to "toughen up."

And this was 2017, NOT 2007. There's some men you just can't reach...././

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon’s “Big Four” Reunite [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I dunno Nick. Just because the info is out there, and we should know better, doesn't necessarily mean we are gonna find the info, and even if we did... heed the advice (for better or for worse).

I took a few forkfuls of advice from Steve Brown in prepping for the Ultra 520K but for a lot of it, I was in adventure mode, just to see of "this shit" would work. "Shit" being 12 hour training rides, learning how to eat pizza while swimming, racing an Olympic tri 15 hours after a 220 K fondo, and doing a 2 hour run with an Aussie in the heat a day after that just to "toughen up."

And this was 2017, NOT 2007. There's some men you just can't reach...././
Try saying a drunken yes to a free Ultraman entry late at night on Margarita Thursday only to realize that "Shit,it starts the day after tomorrow". :-)
Quote Reply