Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [jlittrell78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much money do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [jlittrell78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Tri bike that fits well.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$8K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard this bike is pretty nice ;)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jlittrell78 wrote:
$8K
Easy then, Cervelo P3X
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’ve never raced a bike before, a used road bike for about 1k and then a spend about 7k on one of the bikes mentioned above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P series Di2 and Kickr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are asking this you are way too inexperienced to "compete". You simply do not know enough to ask the proper questions yet. Hang around the triathlon world for couple of years and then you will have your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that fits you best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone will say the one that fits you best, but the fit ranges are all pretty wide these days and my guess is if you get the right size on any bike you can get it to fit.

So just pick the one that you like the look of best (tube shape, color, forage options) and then work with a fitter to figure out which size.

A P3X would be overkill for 70.3 IMO.

I have a Shiv Disc and think it’s perfect for 70.3. The rear bladder has just enough fluid for a 2ish hour bike ride and the weight places low and rearward makes more sense than a BTA system, the SWAT box has ample room for nutrition, disc brakes modulate well, basebars fold for easy travel (once we can travel again). The only thing it lacks is native tilt but you can do that with aftermarket parts if you so desire.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with a P3X being overkill for a Half.

When doing Half's I'm trying to go as fast as I can, much faster than I would be going in a IM. Something like 20-21mph vs 23-24mph

Then again, I'm not spending 8K on bikes either.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you need all that storage for on a 70.3? I’ve got less storage on my all day adventure bike.

P5D would be faster and not handle like a truck.

If OP has no idea what bike to ride for a 70.3, I’m willing to bet his average speed is more like 17 than 23 MPH.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a good points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compete at the FOP?

hilly or flat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, the p5d is a perfect 70.3 bike if you know what you are doing.

But it’s not idiot proof. You can’t haul the kitchen sink from a nutrition and hydration perspective. It doesn’t have integrated storage for flat kit, etc.

Knowing what to carry out of T1 vs what you will take off the course is a key consideration with being successful on a pure TT bike like P5d. But you won’t find a faster or better handling TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was one perfect bike, we'd all be on it. Lol. Need to find the right bike for you, not what your buddy is riding or what your neighbor is riding. Hoping the bike that works for you is also well below you budget. Test as many as you can out.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [rosalynp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your words of wisdom. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good advice.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good bike for someone who wants to compete in a 70.3? [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just curious about what other thoughts. I've done a 4:50 70.3 and qualified for Boston so I've been around racing. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to find a good fitter and get a pre purchase bike fitting. Once they figure out your position they can tell you what bike models should be a good fit for you.

Right now is a bad time to be bike shopping. Many models are sold out and are backordered for months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jlittrell78 wrote:
I was just curious about what other thoughts. I've done a 4:50 70.3 and qualified for Boston so I've been around racing. Thanks!

So that to me suggests that you are a strong runner (boston) and with a 4:50 implicitly either a breast stroker or a back-MOP cyclist.

So slightly different to above, then stick with your current bike and spend money on a coach. That will certainly cost you less, make you faster, and not preclude a new bike in the future once it becomes a limiter. FWIW I'm about 15 mins quicker overall than you, not as strong a runner, but am riding a 10 year old bike, also in full IM distance. My first Ironman I did on a bike that cost UKP600 new, and so less than a single wheel from pretty much the entire rest of field.

Unless the bike is a mechanical wreck, the difference between best/worst bikes is probably 5min on a half course. Take position into account and that could be 20mins. However, noting that the vast majority of the field 'over bike' by 10 mins and so run 20mins slower than they should, a coach and the right pace plan will be by far the best investment you make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any $8k tt bike that fits will be just fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jlittrell78 wrote:
$8K
That's a silly amount to spend if you really haven't a clue what you want.
Quote Reply