Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

January Blues
Quote | Reply
Anyone else besides me suffering from the January Blues?

I have absolutely no motivation to do ANYTHING. It is cold AF outside and 2 feet of snow. Everything is closed due to the pandemic. It is like ground hog day over and over again as I work from home.

I have completely lost my interest in training, riding Zwift etc and I’m gaining weight fast. This is after a wonderful December abroad where I put a lot of miles on my bike and came home fit.
Quote Reply
Re: January Blues [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a bike, a bike trainer, Zwift, food (weight gain), family, job, and your health among other things.

Maybe have some perspective and stop feeling sorry for yourself. We're all dealing with something. Some much more than others.

My training and weight could be better, but I'm more focused on what I have right now rather than what I don't have.
Quote Reply
Re: January Blues [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey man not feeling sorry for myself, people are a lot worse off than I am. I was just interested to know if anyone else in THIS community feels like I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything is closed due to covid? Why?
Quote Reply
Re: January Blues [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one word: Government. Only essential services are open like grocery stores, pharmacies etc. Plus we have a nice little curfew from 8pm to 5am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
one word: Government. Only essential services are open like grocery stores, pharmacies etc. Plus we have a nice little curfew from 8pm to 5am.

I can see how that would adversely affect your psyche.

I’m lucky to live in a place that has been pretty open since late April. Racing a trail half marathon this Saturday.

Time off isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially if you’re coming off of a travel experience where you were active. Take time to soak that up and then resolve to hit it again with vigor in a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably the first January in a few years that I don’t have the blues and some form of seasonal depression. I’ve learned at this point in my life the winter is my time to have a little less focus on triathlon. I can’t follow a super structured training plan for more than 4-5 months without getting burnt out so I know there is no sense in trying this early in the year. I’m still getting in some runs and rides on Zwift and focus on the social aspect. I join group rides and the Tour de Zwift while it’s going on. Running is mostly treadmill (Chicago) but for my mental health I try to get outside twice a week to run some local trails. Friday after work and Sunday morning trail runs have been huge in breaking up my work and home life with being WFH since last March.

So long story short I think you’re okay to not want to do killer sessions every day. Relax, watch some movies, play video games...whatever your thing is. The motivation will come back, but don’t force it. Can’t go HAM 12 months of the year. Peaking for a race is mind and body. Take care of both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:

Whoa. Why in the world would citizens tolerate that is beyond me! That’s insanity. And not productive. And not legal. But I’ll move on 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
titemple652 wrote:

Whoa. Why in the world would citizens tolerate that is beyond me! That’s insanity. And not productive. And not legal. But I’ll move on 😂

If more places did this, maybe we wouldn't be at 400,000...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is legal in Canada when they declare stayes of emergencies unfortunately and a lot of our population agrees with it. Insanity is right.

Thanks for the posts I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
It is legal in Canada when they declare stayes of emergencies unfortunately and a lot of our population agrees with it. Insanity is right.

Thanks for the posts I appreciate it.

Yeah we had a lockdown last year like that. But that was 5 weeks and has been then great to be totally free and enjoying concerts, racing, pools being open and being free to work freely without any real fear of covid. Half ironman this weekend, the Ironman is happening in March as normal.

Oh hang on. Um. Yep, that's why citizens would accept that. However, I feel my comment here is straying into lavender room territory so will leave there.

Sorry you're feeling blue. Accepting that it's a mental state is good, and so perhaps try doing something different, either an MTB, trail running, tennis, or whatever. Just do some active 'play'. Get into some routine and see if that helps
Quote Reply
Re: January Blues [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately that’s incorrect.
Quote Reply
Re: January Blues [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the SJW and MAGA warriors can head on over => https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...C1/Lavender_Room_F4/

There's the link. Now, can it!

Yeah, blues. Been lucky for some decent outdoor riding recently. But with trying to do my part and not doing the whole group ride thing now for a LONG time, it sucks. I did do ONE group ride in summer. I was out solo for a long ride and two teammates passed going the other way. So I u-turned and caught up in a few minutes. We went to a larger group that did a pretty hard/fast rotation.

I bailed when I didn't care for the dude's sweat in front of me flying right into my face among other stuff going one.

I didn't do one since. I miss the action and then the beer afterwards.

Zwift is too hit or miss with work and kids for grouping up with people. So usually miss the group ride and group audio chat on that one.

I did for a bit chase some TT segments for a "dress rehearsal" ride a few times before it got cold.

But yeah. Just not feeling it. Making do. Others have it far worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Unfortunately that’s incorrect.

Hmmmm.............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you're not alone. Winter can be tough w/o the pandemic so I totally understand being in snow country myself where it's also cold AF! I get a bit of that SAD (seasonal affective disorder) with less sun and being cooped up inside for most of the day as a remote worker.

I responded to a similar thread a little while ago. Even when it's cold, getting outside really helps - even if it's for a 45 minute run or walk. Winter running can be glorious especially after a snow fall depending on if you have the right gear for it. Snowshoes are my best friend after spending hours on the trainer. Purchasing a fat bike in 2015 was the best thing we did for winter. And it turned out to be a great workout. I love it way more than dealing with ski resorts and crowds.

Most people where I live have an indoor hobby and outdoor hobby to keep sane during our long winters. I used to play music way back, but with IM training nowadays my indoor hobby became netflix and maybe a good book on the sofa. That makes me happy too and makes winter easier.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply