Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's it like being a triathlon/endurance coach [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take more from the disappointments and failures than I ever will the victories. The good days are "easy" when everything comes together. Everyone is happy, everyone is excited, that's easy and "fun". The hard part is when it's on YOU for your athlete failing even if it's not on you. Yes there are some athlete accountability, but I think I take far more harder the failures than I do in the successes. I still remember in '14 when I drove to a DL race in Iowa (22 hours from NC). Athlete didn't have a good day, just never looked in it, etc. I beat myself up so badly with over analyzing every moment of the build up and the race, that I drove straight through except for a 40 min cat nap in West Virginia. I just couldn't turn off my thoughts on the day, so I kept driving. Race results like that to this day still eat at me, and motivate me to not let that happen again.

Hell Jamie Turner wins an olympic gold medal w/ an athlete, gets hired by a national federation and is then fired within 2.5 years of said moment after having the biggest coaching moment of their career.

Welcome to real coaching......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 21 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: What's it like being a triathlon/endurance coach [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
bang someone else's spouse and confide in you (why people, why are you telling me this?)

send you pics of their saddle sore without wearing underwear (again why?) ps: she got fired bc I did not need to see the saddle sore or everything else

Guess I should cancel my next call with my coach since we will have nothing to talk about that he wants to hear.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it like being a triathlon/endurance coach [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
desert dude wrote:
bang someone else's spouse and confide in you (why people, why are you telling me this?)

send you pics of their saddle sore without wearing underwear (again why?) ps: she got fired bc I did not need to see the saddle sore or everything else

Guess I should cancel my next call with my coach since we will have nothing to talk about that he wants to hear.

LOL

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What's it like being a triathlon/endurance coach [kiwion2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elliot,

If you are sincerely interested in becoming a coach and making a career change, please feel free to contact me at any time. To be good, you need a lot of experience, a lot of experience from different points of view, a lot of time with athletes and many times you need to put your athletes first. It’s the best job ever and can be exceptionally rewarding.

If you want to become a coach to supplement your income, give yourself free time to live your life and to be sort of committed but not really, go away. Triathlon already has enough grifter “coaches” who aren’t any good and are just trying to find ways to squeeze a couple more bucks out of their “clients” with less “coaching.”

But like I said, if you want to learn, can put in a lot of time to a hard and at times frustrating job and are fully committed, I’ll be the first one to help you out.

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian

Thanks for your honesty. That's one of the best posts I've read on Slowtwitch. I've lived a lot of years, done a lot of sh*t and check in with Slowtwitch regularly. I enjoy your posts but this one really grabbed me.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The reality is maybe 15% of your time is spent writing programs, maybe. The other 85% is soft skills with athletes, communication with them, learning about them, planning, data analysis, doing research/reading/listening to podcasts/ going to or zooming into conferences, more planning, talking with other coaches, more planning & thinking about the plan -both short term and long term for your athletes then tweaking that plan about 75x during the season as they...

It's pretty much a 365/24/7 job if you really want to be involved in order to insure success in your athletes. I probably take completely off < 8d a year. On the other hand I have an enormous amount of freedom and flexibility now that I coach full time.

Thanks for the awesome detailed and hilarious look into the realities of day to day coaching. Edited the quote above down for brevity and relevance to my response here. Completely agree.

To the OP, the bolded bits above are a couple of the things I love most about coaching as a career. Helping and connecting with people, on a very flexible schedule. I don't really desire days completely off when I enjoy what I do.

Thanks again Brian!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply

Prev Next