Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works
Quote | Reply
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

Just my quick review on this 'speedier' tire lever. I'm not terrible at replacing flatted tubes but even with GP5000s, it's still annoying as heck on the road, so I decided to try out this lever.

It actually works. Not as smoothly and perfectly as the video below, but it's pretty darn close. I had the expected tightness with the last few inches of mounting the tire, but for sure, it is wayyyy easier to get leverage on the tire without damaging the inner tube buy using both the special clinch-side of the lever and a two-handed approach with the other hand pulling back the tube.

I really like the fact that the 'mount' side of the lever really works great for ensuring correct mounting on the easy 95% of the tire mount - you just run it all along the edge of the tire as instructed, and it seats the tire, VERY quickly. It feels like magic when done right.

And importantly, the 'mount' and 'remove' side of the lever are very clearly marked so if you don't use it for awhile, you won't be confused. Although it's pretty hard to confuse them as the mount side is the only side that sits on the clincher lip.

I also have the Koop Bead Jack - I'd say they work equally well overall. The Kool stop is a bit better in the hardest last bit because of slightly better leverage but the Crankbros ever makes up for that by faster speed and checking of the remainder of the mounting.

Lastly, the Crankbros lever is barely bigger than a normal lever. I put it in my flat kit and can't even notice the size difference. Whereas the Kool stop won't fit into most flat kits.

Def thumbs up from me. Not a gimmick, really works, and works well. For $8, worth a try! I'm literally never using a regular tire lever again, and have already replaced all my existing levers with this one.

Youtube video on on it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO_03rKyPk
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 10, 21 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and dig it too! Use it for all my tire changes. Hasn’t completely replaced having multiple levers but definitely is in my hand for at least part of every tire-change job. I have gotten a little more care with this now that I have carbon wheels, as the inner face can slide against the carbon rim when putting the tire on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched vid. I'm interested. How does one prevent tube pinches when using this to put tire back on?

If this thing prevents tube pinches automatically or helps feed something like a latex tube up into the tire faster, without pinching, I'll be buying several immediately.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure it eliminates all tube catches, but from what I can tell, it should be lessened by a lot. The mount end of the tool is a thin channel that sits right on top the clincher edge. It's literally impossible for the tube to get up and caught in there, because the channel is so narrow that nothing can fit between the lever and the clincher edge.

When you're mounting the tire, that sliding motion pushes the tire on. I tried it at home a few times to make sure I knew how to use it, and each time I used it, when I ran it back over a 2nd time, it seemed to find small areas that got seated slightly better. I like this part of the tool particularly, as it gives you a lot more confidence that the whole tire is mounted well, without having to take tons of time meticulously checking it - you can feel any areas not well mounted as they slow down the lever when you're running it back across parts that you've done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Purchased.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I watched vid. I'm interested. How does one prevent tube pinches when using this to put tire back on?

If this thing prevents tube pinches automatically or helps feed something like a latex tube up into the tire faster, without pinching, I'll be buying several immediately.

That would be my concern as well. I have the Kool stop tool, and it works in a different way to pull the tire back on, and it doesn't come in contact with the tube. The handle is a little longer, but you could probably cut it down a bit to help fit it into a flat kit, and still have enough leverage to use it properly.

Oh, should mention, I've only used the Kool stop tool on HED wheels which have an aluminum rim. I have no idea if it is safe to use the Kool stop tool on carbon rims?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 10, 21 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered two. Prime eligible on Amazon FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent ages trying to get a new set of gp5000tls on my hed jet6+s. This was replacing gp5000tls I'd put on back in 2019 without too much struggle.

I pulled out every trick in the book, stretched the tires with a weight and with my foot. Ran the tire through the dryer, used lots of soapy water on the rim, I've got a bead jack, and I busted out a heat gun. I don't know if my tire mounting technique has atrophied since 2019 but I could not get the last bit of the tire over the rim.

I ordered the speedier lever as a last ditch effort before giving up and ordering a different set of tires. I was able to get it on first try with it and some heat applied right where the bead was folding over the rim.

FWIW I don't intend on ever putting a tube in, if I can't get the tire to seal with a dart I'll patch the outside and limp home, or call in a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. Used twice a few years back and never since.

I don’t find it faster than hands.

Of there is one that I can’t do entirely by hand I do 98% and the last bit with the tire jack. This is maybe once time a year or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need to get for GF...and myself.

Looks like my local REI carries it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had this thing for years but haven’t used it in quite a while. I seem to recall I liked it but nothing magical. The fact that I haven’t used in a long time tells me that I liked my other pedros one better. But it’s worry checking our for those who have never tried.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’ve had this thing for years but haven’t used it in quite a while. I seem to recall I liked it but nothing magical. The fact that I haven’t used in a long time tells me that I liked my other pedros one better. But it’s worry checking our for those who have never tried.

Did you even try the special mount side?

In my hands, it's no question better than a normal lever - which has no such feature at all. (The remove side of the lever no better than a normal pedal lever.)

FWIW, my now-retired levers are Pedro levers.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 11, 21 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Bros Speedier Tire Lever - Actually works [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just updating this thread -

I got to try this Crank Bros Tire Lever in the wild today. Was riding my TT bike with my 50mm carbon wheels, hit a rock and flatted shortly thereafter.

Busted out the special Tire lever and WOW. That was the freaking easiest, fastest tire change ever - and this is with carbon 50mm wheels which I think have a more 'difficult' mount than my regular low-profile wheelset, at least when I'm at home.

Seriously, the MOUNTING of the tire was the fastest part! Not even joking - I just slotted that special 'mount' of the lever right on to the rim, and, bam - a few seconds later the entire thing was on. I did have to pull on the tire with my other hand in the last 6 inches of mount, but it was very easy - totally different than the wrestlefest you get with a normal tire lever. I had both sides on in like less than 30 seconds each. It took longer to check for tube bulges than it did to mount the tires! (This special lever actually actively prevents bulges as well which is great)

These were on almost-new Conti 5000s as well. So not 'well broken in' and floppy old easy-tires.

The longest, slowest part of the whole process was getting the tire off in the first place, which was weirdly annoying for some reason. But the rest was a cakewalk!

So if you haven't tried it yet, I would HIGHLY recommend:

- Crankbros Speedier Lever - Again, the key part of it is NOT the handle! It's the BACK end of it which does NOT come with a normal tire lever - that's the mount side. If you think this is just a normal tire lever with a handle, you're missing the entire point of this device, which is a fast MOUNT!

- CO2 + Portland Shiny Object - I can't say enough good things about the Portland Shiny Object ($20). It's by farrrr the best CO2 device I have ever used. Literally perfect. I'm as fearful of CO2-fails and getting stranded as anyone else, but THIS was the device that convinced me to ditch the hand pump forever. The dial and clearly marked 'on/off' are game-changing - dribble in CO2 to check the tire is on right, then let it in as slowly /fast as you want (so you don't freeze your hands.) The tire inflation part has change from the most annoying and time consuming part to the weirdly fun and stupidly fast part. No annoying pumping, no valve connection problems. It's way easier than even a $100+ floor pump, it's that good.

In my experience thus far, these 2 are the best flat kit items you can have. Get 'em!
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 21, 21 11:38
Quote Reply