Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another help me with gravel bike thread
Quote | Reply
Looking at investing in a gravel bike to supplement my tri training and open up some new roads and events. I’d like something closer to a road bike geometry vs mountain bike. Something more race inspired. Not looking for something for more technical terrain. Gravel and dirt around here is pretty tame.

Hoping if I order something soon I may get it by the fall...

Some on my list would be warbird, revolt, aspero. I’d love to consider a Grail but being in Canada a little harder to get. Spec. Diverge is popular around here. Anything else exciting out there I should be considering? I’d like something with tire clearance up to 42mm so I think a Trek Checkpoint would not fit that. What about Ventum GS1?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek Domane if you primarily road ride, and gravel riding is secondary. Trek Checkpoint if you primarily gravel ride, and road riding is secondary. The nice thing is how versatile these bikes are. You can do about the same thing with the Specialized Roubaix and Diverge.

You are not going to find better bikes, imho. You can pay more, but the bike isn't going to be more.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Trek checkpoint has loads of tire clearance, 45mm+ easily with room to spare. I have one and could take some pics of the clearance if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you’ll find that race-inspired and wide tires fight each other a bit. watch out for the chainstay length. shorter will be more like a road bike, longer will feel more like a mountain bike (or old school touring bike). of course, the longer stays will be better for crazy descents.

Salsa’s are good value, but generally have pretty long chainstay’s.

as a long-time slowtwitcher, I buy Gerards bikes, so have an Open Up. Max 700c tire is 40’ish. I can fit gravel king SK 43mm’s in there, but that will vary by tire. I too wanted to be on the racier end of the spectrum. no regrets. but spendier than a salsa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add Argon 18 Dark Matter to your list if it would fit. FIT FIRST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Trek Domane if you primarily road ride, and gravel riding is secondary. Trek Checkpoint if you primarily gravel ride, and road riding is secondary. The nice thing is how versatile these bikes are. You can do about the same thing with the Specialized Roubaix and Diverge.

You are not going to find better bikes, imho. You can pay more, but the bike isn't going to be more.

X2.

My gravel bike is a Domane.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just in the market for this exact type bike. I wanted something that I could do gravel rides but still just jump on for wet days or to ride some of the rougher roads that are in my area. However, I really wanted something that could handle some of those epic gravel races that seem to be growing in popularity. So, it had to be able to handle some 650b wheels and tires >40c. I went with the Wilier Jena. I ordered from MyBikeShop last week and it was sent on Friday and will arrive Tuesday. So, you really don't have to wait forever. I also really like the Obed, but felt like I was getting more bike for my money with the Wilier.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/2020-wilier-jena-rival-1x11-blue.html

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at all of the above, and am coming off a first generation Diverge (33 tire clearance max). I ultimately went with the Ventum GS1. I wanted something more racy, but capable of taking at least 40-42. Supposed to get mine later this month, can report back after the first ride.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
The Trek checkpoint has loads of tire clearance, 45mm+ easily with room to spare. I have one and could take some pics of the clearance if you want.

Thanks, I must have misread those specs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you're in Canada I would also recommend the Dark Matter from Argon18. Awesome bike and really fun to ride. With the multiple front end fit possibilities with their 3D system (https://www.argon18.com/...technologies/3d-plus) you can make it as aggressive as you like. It's a pretty awesome feature and their geometry is pretty races already.

Another option I saw yesterday was a friend had his new Lynskey titanium Pro gravel bike in. That was truly a thing of beauty and one you'd never worry about on any terrain. One of the most gorgeous bikes I have seen in a long time!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the Obed on Thanksgiving, but won't have it till March time frame :/

To the OP, if you want something NOW you should probably check a LBS' inventory or order something that isn't using GRX components as apparently there aren't any (idk)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exploro Racemax.
I just ordered one.
Going to have a road and gravel wheelset for flexibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Exploro Racemax.
I just ordered one.

Curious - where did you order from - local or on line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Exploro Racemax.
I just ordered one.

Curious - where did you order from - local or on line?

Ordered through my LBS as I'm doing a custom build.

I have heard of people ordering direct from 3T without issue as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice. Trying to get in touch with a couple LBS to see what my options are. Not looking like anything in stock so looking at lead times for ordering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, I ordered my Ventum GS1 in December and its on track for delivery later this month...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the Aspero. I got one this summer to replace my road bike, and its been a dream. I went with a 1x setup, and its still plenty on the road, and with the standard 42mm tires it handles single track no problem. I ordered mine from bicicletta.cc which was a super smooth process. It comes 95% built so you don't have to get your LBS to build it. They had it in stock so i received it in a couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Aspero and love the bike. It is my gravel and winter bike. No issues with a 43 on it but I actually prefer the 38s that are on it now. It is comfortable and fast. I opted for 2x so that is is a bit more useable as a road bike. I have a set of 34s for road use. SKS Speedrocker fenders work well on it too.

If you are based in or near Toronto you may want to wheel with Wheels of Bloor as they had some in stock.

I also like the Checkpoint. Nice bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Parlee Chebacco with road and gravel set up, love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [amckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amckenzie wrote:
I would recommend the Aspero. I got one this summer to replace my road bike, and its been a dream. I went with a 1x setup, and its still plenty on the road, and with the standard 42mm tires it handles single track no problem. I ordered mine from bicicletta.cc which was a super smooth process. It comes 95% built so you don't have to get your LBS to build it. They had it in stock so i received it in a couple weeks.

I wondered how their shipping worked. A couple weeks ago I saw they had a Caledonia in my size and really thought about it. Though pretty sure I want just that extra bit of tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOTRI wrote:
I have an Aspero and love the bike. It is my gravel and winter bike. No issues with a 43 on it but I actually prefer the 38s that are on it now. It is comfortable and fast. I opted for 2x so that is is a bit more useable as a road bike. I have a set of 34s for road use. SKS Speedrocker fenders work well on it too.

If you are based in or near Toronto you may want to wheel with Wheels of Bloor as they had some in stock.

I also like the Checkpoint. Nice bike as well.

I have purchased a bike from WOB in the past though not exactly local, about 90 min drive. I’ll call them.
My local Trek dealer is closed until February so haven’t had a chance to ask about the Checkpoint. They also sell Argon and 3T so got to decide if I reach out to another dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels has 3T as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Another help me with gravel bike thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the Exploro Team as well. I upgraded the wheels to Zipp 303s. Fast and fun. Check out R&A Cycles in Brooklyn NY. They have both race max and team in stock (as of a couple of weeks ago). Great service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aspero is a great bike but geometry is different (longer and lower) than Checkpoint. Aspero is on more racey end of spectrum while CP is closer to endurance geo. On mine I had to find a shorter top cap, added -7 stem 110mm stem, and 25mm setback seat mast to get fit where I wanted it.
Quote Reply