Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Workout Schedule-Post is a little long, and looking for input, suggestions
Quote | Reply
I’m having trouble trying to figure out scheduled workouts for training. In the past few months I haven’t been too overly concerned about a specific workout schedule, but decided to try and specifically train for some Tri’s this summer/fall. My goals are to complete some Sprints and or Olympics this year and MAYBE see about doing a half. I am more Sprint oriented, but like the idea of doing a half at a more sustained pace without going full-bore. I find Olympic distances to be pretty challenging as I love biking, and often override. However, getting a PM should help me be better disciplined.

Quick Background:
*I haven’t raced in 4 years.
Weight: 180 (Down from 215 in March of 2020)
I have focused on running slow and building distance since late spring. Have ridden probably around 1k miles (maybe more) and just started swimming in December. I'm very pleased with my swim-stroke has come back quickly and I am able to do 1,000 yards non stop. I am obviously working on increasing speed, but happy with my ability to do distance when needed.

I am currently using TR for bike, and it only has me doing 2 workouts this current build. I feel like I should be doing 3. I also want to run at least 3 if not 4 times a week. Swim is currently 2 times a week, but want to do 3. Obviously there are more workouts I want compared to days, as well as having a rest day. Oddly, I feel guilty taking a rest day. But I need to give my body days off to recover.

Here is what I currently have, and would love some help or suggestions with planning. Feel free to share your workout schedule if you don’t mind.
*Thursdays we get together for a church group in the PM. That is why I have it listed as day off. However, I can likely add a short 3-5 mile run.

Monday-Ride (TR)
Tuesday-Swim
Wednesday-Ride
Thursday-Run or Day off
Friday-Run
Saturday-Swim & Longer Ride (outdoors as much as possible-temp permitting)
Sunday-Swim &Long Run (currently up to 7 miles)
*If I swim Sat, I won’t swim Sunday. If I can’t squeeze it in on Sat, than I will push it to Sunday.

Questions-Is there too long of a break between my Sunday run and Thursday run?

Other Option: Maybe wiser as I can have Monday to swim to recover legs from Sat. and Sunday. I eventually want to hit 10 mile long run and also include speed work.
I think this makes more sense.

Sunday-Long Run
Monday-Swim
Tuesday-Ride
Wednesday-Run
Thursday-Ride
Friday-Swim? Day off?
Saturday-Long Ride maybe Swim

Thanks. I know I may need to double up workouts, and likely do that on my swimming days.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Workout Schedule-Post is a little long, and looking for input, suggestions [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Workout Schedule-Post is a little long, and looking for input, suggestions [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of information here, but I will try to offer some help.

First, congrats on losing weight. I would like to hear more about how you were able to achieve this.

Second, I think you have to try your scheduling changes to see how they would work. The nature of multisport is that you just don't get a lot of days off and although many of us have similar goals of races we want to achieve, we have very different lives and schedules. This means you have to be creative and find ways to get in the workouts you need. I think you give your new schedule a try, then make some changes over the coming weeks until you get down to what you know you can do reliably. Then build your training schedule around that.

I train 10h per week, did 524h last year. I ride my bike every other day, run 3x/wk, swim 3x/wk and lift 2x/wk. If there is extra time, it is always on the bike. Usually Baxter or West Vidette. But I try to hit my 10h each week.

I think it takes awhile to pin it down, but there is no substitute for consistency. So even if you tweak how much of one particular discipline you are doing later on, if you stay consistent you will benefit.

With regards to how long a break between runs each week, I don't think it is an issue.

Hopefully you will get some other advice, good luck to you.
Quote Reply