Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose
Quote | Reply
I’m finally getting another bike! I lost all of my bikes in a fire in 2018, and only had one insured at the time. With an upcoming race, I purchased a TT bike as my most immediate need, and promised myself I’d replace the others later.

Well, it’s later, and I’ve got a couple of ideas about what I’m looking for. I want a bike that’s capable on road and off, with disc brakes, and clearance for wider tires to accomplish this off-road capability. Those are broad statements, subject to varying interpretations, so it’s helpful to know what they mean to me. I don’t want a gravel-only, or adventure bike, instead I’m looking for racier, more aggressive geometry. I may commute on this, but plan to be putting in miles of training, and prefer to be able to mix road and gravel. I also intend at some later point to be able to tow my kids behind this bike, though I’d prefer to get a bit more of a beater to do that. Disc brakes that work and work reliably, don’t particularly care if they’re hydro or mechanical - just that they’re disc, and with a caliper of acceptable stature. Wider tires, in an ideal world, means 42mm, however, I’d be happy around 40mm.

Lots of “nice-to-haves” for me, none of which are deal breakers. Lighter = better, so looking at carbon where possible. When you see my budget, you’ll understand. Internal tubing is preferable, less mess in the wind. No group sets below 105 in Shimano, but all SRAM group sets welcome. If 1x is available with an accompanying stout lower gear, cool, otherwise 2x must be 11sp.

This wishlist points me in the direction of a good CX bike. In an ideal world, I would be buying a dedicated gravel bike, adventure bike, and road bike. But, I’m not wealthy enough at this time to buy all of those plus a mountain bike and still pay the rent. In a damn-near-perfect world, I’d buy both of the bikes I’m going to post below, but again, limited budget. I need to have a helmet, pedals, cleats, shoes, and a saddle for both of these bikes, and the budget has been set (somewhat tentatively) at $2,000. If one of the bikes sells, I’ll buy the other, but for now the choice is between these two.

Now, one clearly does not meet the criteria, but is such a great deal that I will not pass it up if it comes to that. The very nature of the screaming deal is what makes the decision difficult, and why I’m here. I also have a question about pedal type, which will surface later. If I’ve still got your attention, I could really use your help.

Bike 1: Pinarello Gan GR Disk 105, 2017. Shimano 105 mechanical drivetrain, 11sp, Quarq PM, internal tubing. Disk brakes are Shimano mechanical, 28mm tires mounted with fenders, clearance up to 38mm tires.

Bike 2: Scott Addict RC10, 2018. Shimano Ultegra di2 with DuraAce brakes, 11 sp, Stages PM, internal tubing. Includes Arundel bottle cages, upgraded stem, bars, and seat post.

Both of these bikes have an asking price just under my $2k budget, and in fact the same price (and sold by the same person). I’d love to have a 3T Exploro, but these are out of my price range. I’d be happy with either of these bikes, and have a preference which I think aligns most with my desires. I think the question I’m asking here is, “Is the Scott such an unbelievable screaming deal that I’d be insane to pass it up and buy the Pinarello instead?”

Also, a pedal question: For those who ride gravel/CX and road, which pedal type should I be looking at? I’ve only ever ridden look-style, never had SPD, egg beaters, or Speedplay. I’m going to be adding a pair of shoes specific to this bike, so I’m open to the best style pedal for this kind of ride. Seems to me that SPD or egg beaters are best case here, potentially with platforms for daily/casual riding. But, please tell me if I’m way off base here.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you'd like to buy new, maybe check out Trek Domane? They have complete models starting around 1250 US.
The carbon complete bike model (SL 4) has MSRP around 2400 US, but maybe you can get a discount from your LBS..
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought about going new, but my options were severely limited. The Domane as you mention, is an option, as is the Diverge and a handful of other models. By going used I get way, way more bike for the money, which makes a huge difference for me. Each of the bikes listed above retail over $5,000, not including the upgraded components and power meters - the value for money on these bikes is better than I could get new. Plus, there’s the issue of stock shortages at bike shops for new bikes, especially in short person sizes (which tend to be fewer and farther between anyway) like a 47/49.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between these two bikes, if they are the ONLY options and assuming frame geometries are both comfortable fit for you, 100% Scott Addict. Significantly better components, definitely will be a lower weight overall. I believe the Gan is a heavier frame set when it comes to road bikes. I ride Speedplay and SPD pedals. Speedplay on road and tri bikes, SPD on gravel and MTB. I have used Speedplay before on gravel bike, but if there is ANY chance of mud and being off the bike, they are a disaster. Switched to SPD for that reason. I have a buddy who rides Eggbeaters for gravel, and he is pretty happy with them. My 2 cents....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - very helpful. I'm trying to assess how much I'd actually ride off road, though I'm sure to get it wrong no matter what. Since you're in (or at least close to) Denver, I'm interested in riding most similar to Waterton Canyon, and the BASE gravel rides up in Boulder on the weekends. During the week my riding would be primarily on Bear Creek and Cherry Creek trails, connecting roads, etc. Is the Scott capable of handling the rougher terrain?

I'm leaning very heavily toward SPD, though eggbeaters seem to be available in our area for less than SPD. The issue with the eggbeaters is the lack of a platform, should I decide to just run to the store for things that fit in a backpack, or out to a coffee shop for a drink & remote work. The outstanding issue with SPD is the shoes - I'd be hoping for more of a road shoe, but that seems to be a challenge to find. I'm hesitant to use an adapter, because of how the pedals/cleats connect and power transfer. Is an MTB shoe going to be too goofy-looking or lack function to take on a road ride, or am I being silly in even asking that question?

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between those two it's a no brainer. The Scott any time. It's a frame worthy of winning grand tour stages plus better components and its a newer bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.ebay.com/...349624.m46890.l49292

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deore-XT-PD-M8000-SPD-Clipless-Pedal-With-SH51-Cleats-/183259890116?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jan 4, 21 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally understand that it’s a great road frame, but will it handle off road riding? That’s a key buying criteria for me. I’d be negotiating the other bike down to a reasonable and comparable price.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are an abundance of spd pedals, but my remaining concern is that of shoes - any commentary around a road shoe with spd capabilities (no adapter)?

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can run 28's tubeless, you can easily ride Waterton Canyon. Heck, I've seen a Tarmac out there :). I have not done the Boulder gravel routes. Another option to throw out there, if you want to ride pavement and some gravel.... an original Specialized Diverge (no shock up front under the stem). I think it's a fantastic bike, and currently own one with tubeless 33's. I ride it everywhere, all winter. I AM selling it, as the tire clearance is limited for true gravel, and since I am doing some big gravel events in 2021, I want to run at least 38-42 range. I think most people will agree that you can ride most reasonable gravel (but not fun on any single track) on tubeless 28-30 range without difficulty.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as shoes, I have dedicated gravel shoes, but I would have no problems riding my MTB shoes on my gravel bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
There are an abundance of spd pedals, but my remaining concern is that of shoes - any commentary around a road shoe with spd capabilities (no adapter)?

You were saying that SPD pedals were more expensive than Eggbeaters.

The SPD pedals in the links that I provided should be less expensive.

As far as road shoes go, you would want to get a shoe that can be drilled for mountain bike cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Importantly, the Scott does NOT come with disc brakes, and is a rim brake. That's another piece of this that is slowing me down there. Especially if I'm using this for commuting and hauling around kiddos, I'd prefer the certainty of disc brakes. And, I'd have to buy a tubeless wheelset to set up for tubeless (it's currently got Fulcrum wheels) - so not exactly gravel-ready out the door like the Pinarello is. That kicks the bike out of the budget, at least if I want to be able to ride gravel in the spring.

I have no arguments - the Scott is a screaming deal for a roadie. But, since I'm looking for something more of an all-rounder, my practical side leans toward the Pinarello. The ultimate question is, and I don't think I've heard definitively yet, "Is the Scott such an outrageous, screaming deal that I'd be a fool to pass it up?"

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it - I was referencing initially local for sale ads where eggbeaters can be had for $20 w/ cleats. You're correct - brand new SPD pedals can be had for less money than brand new eggbeaters.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:

Don't get a shoe with a non-recessed 2-bolt cleat attachment spot, unless you're also going to go through the effort of bonding custom lugs to the shoe to create a recess. Walking around on a narrow piece of steel is bad.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jan 4, 21 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I hadn't thought about that part of the interface. Sounds like I should plan on having multiple pairs of shoes ready for this bike.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, if you are looking for a multi-purpose bike that can do gravel, commuting, road, etc etc, I do NOT understand why you have narrowed yourself down to these bikes, including one without disc brakes. So so so many good options out there for an all-purpose bike. The Gan would never cross my radar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s come down to what’s available in my area, in my size, with the aforementioned buying criteria, for maximum value. These aren’t just random out-of-the-hat picks, they’re the result of hours browsing various marketplaces. These two have emerged as top-flight values, and the Scott is in the mix only because it could be too good a deal to pass up - that’s what I (still) don’t have an answer to.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply