Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How often are you sore? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
That’s impressive! How about taking a block of training as an experiment (one of the positive aspects of the current situation) and increasing your recovery while also scheduling harder sessions. I would say the only way to get a definitive answer to your question would be to give it a try. It sounds like you are high-level already, so increased polarisation in your training might be just what you need.

I think this is what I'm going to try: a legit block of recovery focus that still includes some harder sessions, just much more polarized. Easy to say but, knowing myself, harder to stick too. As I alluded to before, I have a habit of dialing things up the moment I feel fresh.

Cody Beals had a good blog post about monotony in training. Without races to taper for I may have fallen into a similar trap (not that I'll ever be anywhere near Cody's level).
Quote Reply
Re: How often are you sore? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Almost 40 years of doing tris

Have rarely been sore from training

Maybe I never pushed myself enough?

Maybe you have a different definition of sore but, yeah, this statement is shocking. I mean really shocking.

I think this is what I'm getting at - the possibility that I've adapted to a consistent (but not debilitating) level of soreness that allows me to keep training, but I'm never fully recovered enough to really hit the quality sessions hard. Can't go hard enough in the quality sessions = almost never feeling acutely sore.

It’s kinda hard to quantify but, yeah I’m sore after (1) fast runs; (2) long runs; (3) a bike ride that is both fastish and long or (4) maybe very high intensity ride; and (5) heavy lifts. Nothing I can’t recover from but a good soreness that I know means I put in good work. To the other poster, if you aren’t fatiguing your muscles to the point of some soreness, I don’t know how you are producing gains.

Do you use Garmin? After a really hard workout, mine might tell me I need to recover for as much 60-72 hours. I don’t always listen like I should to my body and the Garmin, but it’s usually fairly spot on! So, personally I find that feature useful as a gauge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Edit: put another way, can the lack of acute soreness be a signal that your not able to hit hard workouts hard enough because of chronic underlying fatigue?

In lifting, yes, absolutely. Or that you're desensitized to hypertrophy training.

In endurance training... not so much. You can get enormous aerobic training benefit without any soreness ever. In fact I might say that's ideal. DOMS is usually indicative of muscle tissue damage. Muscle tissue damage is not necessary at all for aerobic performance enhancement.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 47 and workout ~18 hours per week. My legs are never not sore. Seriously.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next