Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strange Knee Injury
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Developed a strange knee injury and as have underlying condition didn't want to visit physio just now and thought would see if anyone could shed light on what I have done.

I have a history of calf injuries and have new stretch, foam roller, calf socks routine that seem to be largely stopped those although prone if I do back to back days of big activities so stupidly few weeks back did a 5km run and the next day 60km bike ride and then went down beach in evening for a muck around with kids. Next day could feel slight pain on outside of right knee when going down stairs, didn't feel muscular. Over next couple of days seemed o move to back of knee but no swelling/fluid of any sort. Again stupidly a week later when knee was feeling bit better but not 100% did a 5km and not ben same since. That was 2 weeks ago and knee is fine walking, up/down stairs, light cycling, in fact the only pain i get is when moving knee in bed get a sharp pain when bringing knee up and to the side. I don't think it is ligament damage (no impact or pop) and used to ligament injuries from football years ago. I am 51 years old and wander if there is some degeneration to the meniscus causing my grief but strange never had problem before and came on quickly after the back to back days, there was no jump or anything to force a tear. Just doesn't seem to be improving and appreciate only two weeks, some times does feel like could be very top of calf at back but other times no pain there. Been reading about ITB injury and wander if could be that.

Any thoughts on what could be and what should do - exercises and recovery duration greatly appreciated.

Lawrence
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Knee Injury [meakinsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take his w a grain of salt, Im no expert (yet), just a kin student who has had plenty of injuries myself, so Ive learned through experience.

This sounds like ITB syndrome. Other than the ITB, there is not much on the outside of the knee. The other structure in that area is bicep femoris tendon (one of the hamstring muscles), although it is a little more posterior (more towards the back side). Pain when walking down stairs is one of the more common symptoms of ITB syndrome, especially in the acute phase.

It is odd that you feel pain when bringing knee up and to the side, that is not a common ITB syndrome symptom.

I would recommend that you google the mccmurray's test, and get a buddy or family member to do it on you, its not super complicated, and can help evaluate your meniscus.

Other than that, the only other advice that i can give is the typical, rest, ice, and a gradual return to activity.

Hopefully this helps, another option is to look at booking a call or zoom meeting w a physio, wont be as effective as going in person, however probably more effective than me and other slowtwitchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Knee Injury [MattFongTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattFongTri wrote:
Take his w a grain of salt, Im no expert (yet), just a kin student who has had plenty of injuries myself, so Ive learned through experience.

This sounds like ITB syndrome. Other than the ITB, there is not much on the outside of the knee. The other structure in that area is bicep femoris tendon (one of the hamstring muscles), although it is a little more posterior (more towards the back side). Pain when walking down stairs is one of the more common symptoms of ITB syndrome, especially in the acute phase.

It is odd that you feel pain when bringing knee up and to the side, that is not a common ITB syndrome symptom.

I would recommend that you google the mccmurray's test, and get a buddy or family member to do it on you, its not super complicated, and can help evaluate your meniscus.

Other than that, the only other advice that i can give is the typical, rest, ice, and a gradual return to activity.

Hopefully this helps, another option is to look at booking a call or zoom meeting w a physio, wont be as effective as going in person, however probably more effective than me and other slowtwitchers.

Not an expert either, but IT band was my first thought as well. If this is the case, foam rolling helped me. Lie on your side and roll up and down from the knee to upper thigh. If you are able to get to a physio, they should be able to confirm this pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My general question to anyone with a weird knee or foot injury is to ask:

How old are your general running shoes?
What's their milage?

More often than not, new shoes fixes the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar symptoms and on-set to what you have described, except on the inside portion of my right knee. I messed around for a few months hoping it would resolve, but it didn’t and when I eventually went to see a doc it turns out I have arthritis. I’m 49 and there were no prior indicators until I woke up one morning and couldn’t bend my leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Knee Injury [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all replies, for some reason they were going to junk folder where on previous posts they didn't so missed them until checked back on forum. Running shoes are only couple months old as my previous ones were pretty shot and they feel a really good fit (same make/model as previous shoe). Tried a few of the IT band self diagnosis tricks from youtube and nothing doing so will try the mc murrays test for the meniscus, do have a slight dread that could be arthritis as sufferring elsewhere, thanks for all your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Knee Injury [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
MattFongTri wrote:

Not an expert either, but IT band was my first thought as well. If this is the case, foam rolling helped me. Lie on your side and roll up and down from the knee to upper thigh. If you are able to get to a physio, they should be able to confirm this pretty quickly.

I had same thought too but I’m not a doctor.
Quote Reply