Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gravel 2x to 1x - Easy to Switch? [flowbytwo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flowbytwo wrote:
How does that Eagle cassette setup work with a 48T then?
I haven't seen anybody use such large 1x chainrings in an Eagle setup before, but it's unclear to me what the concern is. As long as you're using an appropriately-long chain, it seems like it should work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Personally not seeing the need for 48T or 50T. Good insight here by Gerard Vroomen particularly as it relates to top gear.

Best 1x gearing options for gravel - 3T Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel 2x to 1x - Easy to Switch? [zerobars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve read all of that and I suspect there are a few different ideas of gravel out there and it is confusing things... If you are a bit more casual or on more extreme terrain or run huge tires or any number of things then certainly the smaller rings are a good option.

I run 35mm tires on Enve 3.4ARs... I ride in the middle of the cassette... favor a 82rpm cadence and race for 2-5hours. 48T is what lives on my bike 90% of the time and is the best balance for me. I can make a 46 work if I need a little lower but again, that is mostly middle of cassette and rarely the 42 cog. The idea of a 50 is just more on the wrong part of the cassette. I would have been substantially more excited to see an extra gear in the middle of that 10-42 range to get smaller steps.

For the 1x vs 2x the smaller steps, better front ring retention (no need for the mandatory chain guide of the 1x) and solid useful range make a ton of sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flowbytwo wrote:
The SRAM 10-42 XX1 11 speed cassette is the way to go for gravel over the “mullet” 12 speed Eagle setups... the issue with a 10-50 cassette is that to balance that 50 tooth rear you need a huge chainring which means your chain gets too long. I typically race with a 46T ring but also run the 44 and 48 rings depending on the course...

That said I am not truly satisfied with the available range... if you are racing then as noted elsewhere spinning an absurd cadence to keep up on the downhills at 35-40mph is wasting watts and hurting recovery... Di2 is so good my next gravel setup will be 2x11... Or perhaps that new campy 12 stuff other than the incompatible driver for the cassette...

Can you use SRAM Cassettes with Shimano GRX with good results?

I'm thinking about ordering a 3T Exploro Race/Max, but per 3T, with a front derailleur you can expect the maximum measured tire width on a 650b wheel to be 45mm and on a 700c wheel 40mm. I really wanted to run some tires over 50mm at some point so looks like 1X may be my only choice........and expecting some road use a 10-42 would be ideal......but if mixing SRAM/Shimano isn't the best.....I'll have to fight thru 1X and the 11/42.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel 2x to 1x - Easy to Switch? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Yes. SRAM and Shimano 11-speed cassettes use the same spacing, and all of the GRX derailleurs can happily handle a pretty wide range of gearing arrangements.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel 2x to 1x - Easy to Switch? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
flowbytwo wrote:
The SRAM 10-42 XX1 11 speed cassette is the way to go for gravel over the “mullet” 12 speed Eagle setups... the issue with a 10-50 cassette is that to balance that 50 tooth rear you need a huge chainring which means your chain gets too long. I typically race with a 46T ring but also run the 44 and 48 rings depending on the course...

That said I am not truly satisfied with the available range... if you are racing then as noted elsewhere spinning an absurd cadence to keep up on the downhills at 35-40mph is wasting watts and hurting recovery... Di2 is so good my next gravel setup will be 2x11... Or perhaps that new campy 12 stuff other than the incompatible driver for the cassette...

I'm thinking about ordering a 3T Exploro Race/Max, but per 3T, with a front derailleur you can expect the maximum measured tire width on a 650b wheel to be 45mm and on a 700c wheel 40mm. I really wanted to run some tires over 50mm at some point so looks like 1X may be my only choice........and expecting some road use a 10-42 would be ideal......but if mixing SRAM/Shimano isn't the best.....I'll have to fight thru 1X and the 11/42.

I ordered a Racemax. I'm going with GRX 2x di2. I don't plan to run over 700/40C.

I almost went 1x, with a 40T and 9-36 Leonardi cassette. Can use a shorter cage derailleur, shorter chain for better shifting. Mechanical shifting on mullet setups has to be setup perfect and have the right chain length or it sucks.

Ultimately I wanted the range of 2x and won't run 650B so that's how I went.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel 2x to 1x - Easy to Switch? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
MKirk wrote:
flowbytwo wrote:

I ordered a Racemax. I'm going with GRX 2x di2. I don't plan to run over 700/40C.

I almost went 1x, with a 40T and 9-36 Leonardi cassette. Can use a shorter cage derailleur, shorter chain for better shifting. Mechanical shifting on mullet setups has to be setup perfect and have the right chain length or it sucks.

Ultimately I wanted the range of 2x and won't run 650B so that's how I went.

Have you gotten your RaceMax yet? 3T is saying about max tire size:

"The RaceMax can accommodate a maximum WAM of 42mm on a 700c wheel. That is with or without the front derailleur. It is likely that a listed 38mm tire will get you close to the max. I have seen people mount a listed 40mm tire to their RaceMax, but the clearance on that setup is very tight.

The RaceMax frameset can accommodate a max 1X ring size of 42T."

I was under the assumption (apparently wrong) that the FD was a restricting factor on all bikes so was hoping going 1X on the Explore RaceMax would have offered a slightly larger tire. Per 3T......at least with a 700 wheel, the FD plays no factor in wheel size....maybe it only effects with a 650 wheel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next