Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
miklcct wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

TU - These two pieces of info are fairly amazing. Thanks for this info, it is this "anecdotal" stuff that I would never, ever read anywhere other than ST, that keep me coming here almost every day. I'm assuming that, being a tri guy, he wore a full wettie in his Channel swim??? Merely surviving the cold water for 27 straight hours is pretty incredible, even in a full wetsuit, let alone swimming for 27 hrs. :)

The slowest Channel swimmer, Jackie Cobell, did her Channel swim just under 29 hours in standard costume.
However I'm definitely not fancy of swimming from dawn, into the night, and see the sunrise of tomorrow. I'm hoping for 15 - 17 hours only.

Incredible, I can't imagine swimming 29 hrs in 55-60* water.

The Channel isn't that cold late August and September. We can reasonably expect 65 in these months.
Quote Reply
Re: [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
miklcct wrote:

Maybe I should leave Slowtwitch because the fact is clearly wrong here. I'm concerned about my speed but it's not true that only world class Olympic marathon swimmers can swim across the Channel.

While slowtwitch is often wrong you are the problem here.

Yet you refuse to see reason, you refuse to take advice, you refuse to accept what people with more experience, wisdom and knowledge than you possess are telling you.

A few of the smartest minds on ST and at least one of them one of the smartest in their field in the world has told you you are not ready to do this.

You are responsible for yourself. Having been involved in coaching for >25 years I can tell you that you currently do not possess the mindset to achieve this. You do not possess the willingness to admit you may be wrong, the humility to accept that could be wrong, you do not possess the ability to listen or accept facts against your beliefs. You do not possess the training plan to get you across the channel.

Blame yourself for your failures and successes, not ST. You are responsible for your training.

Leave if you want but take with it that you are the problem, not slowtwitch

He’s also on Marathon Swimmers forum and Reddit,with the same song and dance. “Give me advice that I will not take.”

Have you done the math on your goal pace? 15 hours is roughly 1.5MPH, 17 hours is 1.3MPH. Have you done a 6-8 hour swim at that pace yet? If not, given your timeline, it’s time to work on volume and endurance. You will slowly get faster with more time in the water anyway, but at this point you need to be mentally and physically prepared for a cold 20-24 hour swim. That’s how you should be setting goal benchmarks right now. Use time benchmarks, because conditions are too variable to compared one 20k swim to another.

Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll find a way to ignore further advice. I’m not trying to be mean or discouraging, but it’s getting old, mate.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
You have a demonstrable decrement in performance as the distance increases. Look at your data and convince yourself that this is true. Your current level is commendable, given the multitude of restrictions that we all face in accessing swimming venues. That having been said, given the clear decrement in speed you have shown, you will not have the fitness to complete even a 50% crossing. Aquisition of fitness follows a sigmoidal curve. For most of us, we are on the linear portion of the curve where addition effort is proportionally rewarded with additional fitness. As you reach your biological limits, the marginal gains for additional effort become increasingly small. What this means is that gaining the fitness to finish the second half of a channel swim will require exponentially (literally) more effort than the first half. You are not there yet. You can do the financially unpalatable but safer path and postpone, or you can risk your life with insufficient fitness. Best of luck.

If the Channel is as half wide as it is now, I would have already booked for 2020. I was fit enough last winter to complete 16 km when there were no COVID interruptions affecting my pool training. Moreover, I'm still on the linear portion of the curve in my training as I have never trained to the point that I don't feel good to further increase my training.

I adjusted my nutrition today and I felt much better now. I may need to look into the nutrition and my pacing strategy in my next marathon swim.
Last edited by: miklcct: Dec 22, 20 2:52
Quote Reply
Re: [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are too hung up on the distance. The hard part of the EC is not the 20+ miles. Which, at your speed, you will get pushed off course and you will swim farther. The waves will pick up through the day and it will slow you down further.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Which, at your speed, you will get pushed off course and you will swim farther.

This is what I'm most concerned, and the worst case is ending up like Stuart Handley.
Quote Reply
Re: [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I failed the Channel today which proved you are right. The condition was worse than forecast and only about half of the solos today got across.

Forecast was F3 but reality was swells and whitecaps like F5 for the initial 8-10 hours. As a result I didn't make the tide change in time after 14 hours of swimming and got defeated by the tide as I was so far from the Cap (a few km distance) when it changed even it's at the bottom of a neap.

A faster swimmer made it before me and two stronger swimmers made it much closer when the time changed. The other solos returned just a few hours seeing the horrendous conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You had all the information you needed here to assess your chances(which were quite slim) but you charged ahead anyway. So now take the good parts of this whole adventure and go forward with those. Bite off smaller chunks before you try and eat the whole steak, and make the process your primary goal...Good luck and thanks for the update...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
I failed the Channel today which proved you are right. The condition was worse than forecast and only about half of the solos today got across.

Forecast was F3 but reality was swells and whitecaps like F5 for the initial 8-10 hours. As a result I didn't make the tide change in time after 14 hours of swimming and got defeated by the tide as I was so far from the Cap (a few km distance) when it changed even it's at the bottom of a neap.

A faster swimmer made it before me and two stronger swimmers made it much closer when the time changed. The other solos returned just a few hours seeing the horrendous conditions.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. Since reading this thread earlier in the year I have been curious to know how you got on. 14 hours of swimming in the Channel is a pretty big accomplishment in itself. Are you going to try again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:

Well I think if we are all being honest with ourselves, you and we, all knew that you were going to fail.

That's based on what you typed here and on other forums. You still got 14h of swimming in which won't make you less fit. IDK if you can find some shorter OWS races to do to put that fitness gained to use. Or maybe design some of your own challenges to do to take advantage of that fitness. For instance I have a friend who's doing 12h of running the same 5k loop on a trail that's near his house. Maybe something like 2h in the pool for distance or 5k/10k for time.

It might be good, as was pointed out, to do an honest post event analysis, both of the swim attempt itself and the previous 12-18mo of training. If done right this could help you see spots where you blinded yourself, areas where you're strong, weak, made excuses, broke through excuses etc.

Do it as if you were analyzing someone else's training and attempt not your own. Challenge every assumption you make and when you think that went well, reexamine it from another angle to make sure it really did. Same with the failures.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 15, 21 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
miklcct wrote:

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. Since reading this thread earlier in the year I have been curious to know how you got on. 14 hours of swimming in the Channel is a pretty big accomplishment in itself. Are you going to try again?

I'll not try again, with a possible exception if I pick up triathlon and eventually want to do A2A (in such case I'll sign up the non wetsuit category making it a legitimate CSPF channel swim)
Quote Reply
Re: [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
miklcct wrote:

Well I think if were being honest with ourselves you and we all knew that you were going to fail.

That's based on what you typed here and on other forums. You still got 14h of swimming in which won't make you less fit. IDK if you can find some shorter OWS races to do to put that fitness gained to use. Or maybe design some of your own challenges to do to take advantage of that fitness. For instance I have a friend who's doing 12h of running the same 5k loop on a trail that's near his house. Maybe something like 2h in the pool for distance or 5k/10k for time.

It might be good, as was pointed out, to do an honest post event analysis, both of the swim attempt itself and the previous 12-18mo of training. If done right this could help you see spots where you blinded yourself, areas where you're strong, weak, made excuses, broke through excuses etc.

Do it as if you were analyzing someone else's training and attempt not your own. Challenge every assumption you make and when you think that went well, reexamine it from another angle to make sure it really did. Same with the failures.

I really can't. I already know that I was massively underprepared because due to COVID closure I couldn't do any of the technique, speed and endurance work as planned. The only thing I had done was acclimation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next