Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottom Bracket Drop?
Quote | Reply
Does it matter? How does it affect the fit/handing of a try bike?

If I understand correctly, it is the vertical distance from the wheel axle to the centre of the BB.

Just as an example, I can see Trek SC has a drop of 80mm, whereas Felt IA is 72mm....
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Drop? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lower the better from a bike handling perspective as long as you don't try to pedal through a tight corner. There is also more bike between you and ground versus being perched up high like witht the original Cervelo aluminium P3 that had a high BB relative to ground so you could get lower at at the front end without a really short head tube. We had a discussion a while ago if being in the same position high up in the air, or the same position low in the air but with more bike between the legs was more or less aero. I don't remember the consensus on how having more bike between legs or less bike between legs helped or hurt laminar airflow. Originally I thought lower to the ground (thus lower BB) would be better based on downhill skiing dynamics, but there is no bike involved going through the air in that sport, its just a human in a tuck.

I personally like low BB bikes as I have no need to pedal hard out of corners (not racing crits or road)
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Drop? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
// the bb is the reference point for stack & reach .. so the fit itself fits .. clearance to the ground / while pedaling / depends also from tire size and crank length .. in general more bb drop leads to a more stable handling [all other geo & balance factors unchanged] ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Dec 13, 20 9:28
Quote Reply