Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

powertap p1 battery drain
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Powertap p1 dual sided here. Had for a while, started using them again a few weeks ago. 2 fresh lithium AAA batteries, covers are good, right battery now down to 7% post workout (checked in rouvy but garmin headunit warned me also), left battery still reported as 100%

also checked with a multimeter and at the time, left was at 1.6V, right was down to 1.1V. Overnight, they've increased so left is 1.7 and right is 1.5. Brand new one is reporting 1.8V

Any idea why the right is using so much more power? and any fixes?
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [chatlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't already, I'd recommend installing the Powertap mobile app, connecting the pedals and check for and install any firmware updates.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the first time it happened or does it occur repeatedly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Im using Android so there's no powertap app for me to use, just the Rouvey app which can at least show battery remaining and checks version. I did borrow a friend iphone few months ago and checked for an update but nothing found.

As for reoccuring. I haven't used them regularly enough but I've had to replace the right side more than the left so far.

Guess it would be good to know if batteries on both sides should deplete equally or should i expect more from the right? I will replace this battery and monitor them over the next few weeks as I'll be using on my trainer for a bit

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battery drain on the C1 PM was awful. It was 1/10th of what was reported by PowerTap.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed you can get the issue fixed yourself, as Quark appear to have washed their hands of the P1’s. My pedals were a little out of warranty but relatively unused and I wanted to pay together someone to repair them when they started reporting crazy numbers. Despite numerous back and forth emails I was told that Quark offered no servicing for P1’s and my only option was to bin them. Pretty disappointed with Quark to be honest, and would stop me from purchasing one in the future. The reason I went with the P1’s was the outstanding customer service I had received from Saris with my Powertap hub. Look forward to seeing if you have better luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel any better, I have recently started having this same issue. I replaced the R battery just a week ago and today my garmin didn’t find it. I didn’t look yet to see if the light flashes, but I’m afraid now to look. I was planning to look tomorrow so I guess I will.

I’m disappointed to hear that there’s no support for them anymore.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cyclepowermeters.com/...-service-centre.html

These guys in the UK offer servicing of P1’s. I have sent mine there every 15-20k km’s for a full overhaul. They come back like new. They take approx 2 weeks to make the full service.
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I’ll give them a call on Monday and see what they say. Thanks. Throwing away a $1500 product doesn’t sit well with me for environmental reasons if I can pay to get them fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gave them a call - super helpful, and I'm posting my pedals half way round the world to get them looked at. Shame that Quark weren't prepared to share their details with me. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds great! I’m very interested in hearing how long you have to wait to get them back and if they work.

Keep us (me) informed.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last item I posted to the UK took 5 weeks to get there, so I’m not expecting them back any time soon!!! Apparently they would anticipate turning the pedals around within two weeks. , but with 10 weeks postage we’ll be around 3 months! Watch this space!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a courier service both ways! The servicing in the UK itself usually only takes them 7-10 days. So with a week at each end for FedEx/UPS, you should surely be able to do the round trip in approx 4 weeks. I live in Spain and the round trip usually takes 3-3.5 weeks. This is one big reason why I actually bought two pairs of pedals, so I always have a back up and so I don’t get stressed when they go to the UK for their 15-20k km bearing service.
Quote Reply
Re: powertap p1 battery drain [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, the SRAM AXS app is the one to use now for the powertap pedals. Give that a shot.
Quote Reply