Quote | Reply
What race is it?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
JYoung wrote:
At 6' 1" and 200 lbs my half marathon PR right now is 1:19 a couple summers ago at age 38. (perfect execution with 40 min out and 39 on the return!)

This is all on 20-30 mpw and smoking weed every day...

A 200 lbs pothead who can go sub-1:20?

Hey now!!! Let's not be judgey here

Smoking every day does not make you a pothead - it could be a little bit for anxiety or something like that

Smoking ALL day every day is a different story, however

#wakeandbake

cloy wrote:
You defy physics.

Maybe not Physics, but some sort of biological science, perhaps

"There he goes, One of God's own Prototypes; some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production-- too weird to live, too rare to die." - HST

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say go for it.

I had two of those running races this year where I wasn't sure if i could run my target pace. The Chance was probably 50:50. I blew up at both of them :D, but had fun anyways and learned a lot.

I read a quote from Boris Stein lately:

"If you never blow up you will never know your limits and how far you can go".

That said, good luck and go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shammad10 wrote:
Thanks! That's really interesting. I had never thought of myself as a 'speedster', I definitely have a diesel engine on the bike- I have a very good hour power, but my 5 sec, 1 minute and 5 minute power is quite poor comparatively.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this weekend! I think I'll go out more conservatively than 1:17 pace- probably between 1:18-1:19 and then pick it up if I feel good at 15km

Being a speedster doesn't mean you are slow at the long distances (or even that you are fast at the shorter distances). It just means that you have a steeper speed curve than average. :-)

My last race was a virtual 15K on the 14th of November. My one hour LTP (Lactate Threashold Pace) is a 6:11. Since it was a virtual race and I was the only one out there I just tried to hit my LTP. Four miles into the race I was at a 6:07 pace and even though I felt great I slowed down. I don't think I have ever done that is a race before. I finish right at the 6:11 pace and felt like I I had just gone for a light warm up. No lactate burn, no sore muscles, I didn't feel winded or tired.

My last Multisports race was a Sprint Duathlon the 10th of October (a live race), so I had a month to go run focused leading up to the virtual 15K. I did a lot of 1 minute & 5 minute speed work in that month. To maintain your FTP for a full hour on the bike and your LTP for a full hour running you have to build your Aerobic capacity (3-5 min power). If your 5sec, 1 min, 5 min power suck, then when your FTP plateaus you will have to focus on boosting your 5 sec, 1 min, 5 minute power to be able to continue to increase your FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So an update for those interested!

Finish time 1:16:41-

Pleased with that, and felt pretty good throughout
5km splits were- 18:10, 18:15, 18:10, 17:54 and last km in 3:24 so I feel I paced it quite well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, gave me confidence to go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shammad10 wrote:
So an update for those interested!

Finish time 1:16:41-

Pleased with that, and felt pretty good throughout
5km splits were- 18:10, 18:15, 18:10, 17:54 and last km in 3:24 so I feel I paced it quite well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, gave me confidence to go for it!
Wow! Excellent pacing and congrats on the race. Pretty funny to look back at your first post asking if a sub 1:20 is too ambitious. Nice work.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Yeah- haha, hopefully this'll give me more confidence in my running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations on a great run.

how many runners did you catch and pass?
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Yeah passed loads of people- I started around 60th person to go off the line and finished 7th overall. I think there was only 250 participants, so wasn't a very big race though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your times, yes you are more than capable of going well under 1.20 probably without doing anything different in your run training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shammad10 wrote:
Thanks!
Yeah passed loads of people- I started around 60th person to go off the line and finished 7th overall. I think there was only 250 participants, so wasn't a very big race though.

Nice work! My PR is around 1:20 with 10k of 36:30, so your time seems pretty spot on. That seems like a pretty stacked field of 250ish to finish only 7th with that time.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Time to aim for open Half Marathon [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah winner went 1:06, top 5 all went sub 1:15.

I think because races haven't been going ahead, lots of people are turning up to these small local races who never would have. I doubt I would have raced if there had been tris going ahead this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That must have been fun.

i think your 5K (16:30), 10K (34:50) and this HM are all in the same area in terms of achievement. Maybe one is a few seconds better than the other but i think it is within the margin or course and conditions.....but based on spending almost 20 years running times pretty close to those ..(16:43, 34:30, and 1:16:23 pbs) i was around the same people in races whether we were doing a 5K, 10K, 10 mile or HM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next