Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, my wife is still pretty much in shock as well. We are both pretty simple. This pay day was incredible, but I don't think it will change us too much. I'll save that for the next big pay day, HA!

Yes, I usually wake up, drink my breakfast, then go back to sleep for an hour or so before getting up again and doing my morning mobility routine, then heading out to the race site.

Nelo wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
Sure. I used to have a lot of issues with eating anything solid before workouts. Even 3-4 hours. I'd get stomach cramps/side or side stitches pretty much any time I tried.

Thank you for your insight. I'm sure your wife is happy you have dialed in your routine :)
So 3 hours pre-race you take the Ultragen?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
Ha, my wife is still pretty much in shock as well. We are both pretty simple. This pay day was incredible, but I don't think it will change us too much. I'll save that for the next big pay day, HA!

I meant more the lack of puking on her, but the payday is nice as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:

Yes, I usually wake up, drink my breakfast, then go back to sleep for an hour or so before getting up again and doing my morning mobility routine, then heading out to the race site.

Nelo wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
Sure. I used to have a lot of issues with eating anything solid before workouts. Even 3-4 hours. I'd get stomach cramps/side or side stitches pretty much any time I tried.

Thank you for your insight. I'm sure your wife is happy you have dialed in your routine :)
So 3 hours pre-race you take the Ultragen?

I do the same thing but I've used Ensure Plus (I think Crowie used to use this) with success but Ultragen is probably an even better solution...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I have not had a great day as a pro in Kona, and that remains my number one priority at this point. I don’t see this really as a redemption at all, more just a validation that what I think is possible in Kona is actually possible. I just need to execute.

I was never really focused on the outcome, it was all about the process on race day. On the run, my only focus was on catching the next guy. I really didn’t know where I was in the field until the last lap when I got an update that I was only 30 seconds down from 2nd (and sitting in 9th) at that point. I wasn’t really focused on any other guy specifically. Vincent came out of the penalty tent about 20 seconds before I left T2 so I was able to key off him for the early miles and then run with him for a few more after before finally getting a gap. Being able to see everyone in front of me was motivation enough because it was easy to see the gaps closing.

I hit 75 miles/week leading into Ironman Florida a few weeks back. I had one more high mileage week in between races. I typically run my aerobic runs around 6:10-6:15 and faster work at whatever coach Julie tells me to do :).

Chemist wrote:
Congrats!

I believe you've been disappointed with your results at the IM World Championships after having a lot of success in other races. Do you feel like going out and placing 2nd in a race with such a stacked field is a little bit of a redemption?

What was going through your head during the run? You came off the bike in 23rd place. At what point did you think (or believe) that you would be able to run onto the podium? Did you see Luis in the penalty tent and Ali Brownlee off to the side? Did that give you any extra energy/motivation knowing there were two less podium favorites that you would have to chase down?

What type of milage have you been running? And pace per mile are you training at?

Sorry, lots of questions. But super interested since we don't get a ton of top guys stopping by here for AMA's (probably our fault for monday morning quarterbacking them all the time)

so you essentially run a half mary 6 days a week. holy crap.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, like everyone else has said congrats! What an amazing performance. My wife and I watched the race and you are her new favorite runner. "He looks like he is having so much fun running!!!" I am sure there was nothing fun about that last 5k until you recovered from it.

I have a couple of questions or insights I am hoping you can share.

I did the Bear Lake race this year. I really thought, based on your previous runs, you could throw down a 1:11ish run on that flat course. Obviously, the weather didn't allow for an optimal day. Could you give some insight on what your expectations were going into that race what you thought you were capable of and what you learned from that race.

I chatted with you at the end of the race, I was all bundled up from the Oly distance in my muck boots, puffy, and warm pants(ya, Montana kid never leaves home without those even for a race). You stated that you just couldn't eat/fuel on the bike when we chatted. Chris and you both shared that it was just cold.

Watching the Daytona race it was an "A" day for sure. What lessons did you apply to that race that you learned from previous races. Do you think that the bigger stage/audience gave you more motivation than the locals Bear Lake Race. I know you commit 100% to the task on hand but I am curious as to your thoughts on that. Was the Bear Lake Race a rust buster knowing the the PTO race was coming up(racing into race shape)?

Last question. Probably the most important. If you and Chris were to have a thumb wrestling war who would win and why? lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I hit 75 miles/week leading into Ironman Florida a few weeks back. I had one more high mileage week in between races. I typically run my aerobic runs around 6:10-6:15 and faster work at whatever coach Julie tells me to do :).
Do you mean to say you the slowest you ever run (typically) is 6:15 pace? Do you train by heart rate and if so does that correlate to an easy heart rate? Or is that another way your running doesn't conform the standard schools of thought? As far as I'm aware, even the pro runners running 70-100 mile weeks are still doing easy runs around 7 min at least. Not doubting that it isn't right! Just surprised.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had zero expectations going into Bear Lake but going and getting back to doing what I love. I was in nowhere near ideal "race" fitness, having found out about the race just 3 weeks before it happened. I was early in the build for IMAZ (which then turned to IMFL). So just showed up last minute at altitude to go and have some fun playing triathlon! That 4 week series of races I did (Bear Lake, Cozumel 70.3, Huntington, and the Msquared) were all part of the training build up for IMAZ/Daytona. Yeah, I wanted to do well, I always do. But I wasn't building specifically for that block. As I mentioned, I wanted to get back to doing what I loved. It was also to show the MHRacing athletes that racing will return and hopefully give a few of them a little motivation boost to stay in a good training routine.

Most people don't know that Chris is a trained electrician. I'm sure that gives him a thumb up in a thumb-wrestling contest. If I was ever foolish enough to put on the shoes/singlet/headgear and meet him on the mat for an actual match...I like my chances.

lonniecdams wrote:
Matt, like everyone else has said congrats! What an amazing performance. My wife and I watched the race and you are her new favorite runner. "He looks like he is having so much fun running!!!" I am sure there was nothing fun about that last 5k until you recovered from it.

I have a couple of questions or insights I am hoping you can share.

I did the Bear Lake race this year. I really thought, based on your previous runs, you could throw down a 1:11ish run on that flat course. Obviously, the weather didn't allow for an optimal day. Could you give some insight on what your expectations were going into that race what you thought you were capable of and what you learned from that race.

I chatted with you at the end of the race, I was all bundled up from the Oly distance in my muck boots, puffy, and warm pants(ya, Montana kid never leaves home without those even for a race). You stated that you just couldn't eat/fuel on the bike when we chatted. Chris and you both shared that it was just cold.

Watching the Daytona race it was an "A" day for sure. What lessons did you apply to that race that you learned from previous races. Do you think that the bigger stage/audience gave you more motivation than the locals Bear Lake Race. I know you commit 100% to the task on hand but I am curious as to your thoughts on that. Was the Bear Lake Race a rust buster knowing the the PTO race was coming up(racing into race shape)?

Last question. Probably the most important. If you and Chris were to have a thumb wrestling war who would win and why? lol
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup rarely run 6:20 or slower. A couple times since I moved to CO I've had some runs in that range since it's hillier and at altitude. To be honest, 6:15 is a compromise between coach Julie and I. In my younger days, I'd rarely do much work over 6:00. I feel that I have to alter my stride running 6:30-7:00 too much (on the flats at least). I'm never trying to hit a specific pace on easy runs, I just let it happen. I've tried to do numerous training blocks, especially early season, at slower paces and always end up getting hurt. I'm getting plenty of aerobic work on the bike. So I'd rather just be lower mileage running in the early season and run with a comfortable stride that keeps me healthy and then increase mileage as we build into race form than keep a high mileage running log year round. This approach definitely isn't for everyone and doesn't conform to "standard schools of thought." But I've never been one to follow tradition for training since that is what other people do. Everyone is different mentally and physically. A coach's job is to figure out what is best for their athletes, not try to make the athlete conform to a traditional school of 'wisdom.' Coach Julie and Coach Matt have done a great job of that. If you look at my training compared to TO or Justin Metzler, you wouldn't likely be able to tell we have the same coaches. While we definitely do many of the same workouts, the build and structures are all very different.

In regards to HR, usually Julie gives me a HR cap, so as long as my HR stays under that for the aerobic run I know I won't get yelled at it :). When I'm doing an easy run, I want to enjoy it. I don't want it to take mental energy. I don't want to be staring at my watch worrying about pace. I just want to let my body do what it wants to do. My HR is pretty sensitive to temperature for some reason. When it is cold, I might be 125-130bpm at 6:15. When it is hot, I might be north of 150 at the same pace. So we set a firm cap. I set my watch to beep if I ever get above that. Otherwise, I try not to look at anything other than the timer on the long runs so I know when to turn around.

realbdeal wrote:
matthansontri wrote:

Do you mean to say you the slowest you ever run (typically) is 6:15 pace? Do you train by heart rate and if so does that correlate to an easy heart rate? Or is that another way your running doesn't conform the standard schools of thought? As far as I'm aware, even the pro runners running 70-100 mile weeks are still doing easy runs around 7 min at least. Not doubting that it isn't right! Just surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHA, Gotcha. That was the last time she volunteered as a wetsuit stripper, that's for sure!

Nelo wrote:
matthansontri wrote:

I meant more the lack of puking on her, but the payday is nice as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I have ran in nothing but On Running shoes since 2015.

synthetic wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
No. I heat mold my Bont cycling shoes and have never had any issues with the On shoes.

Climb11 wrote:
Do you use custom/molded insoles in your cycling or running shoes?

wait, you used ON shoes for the daytona race? thought it was the Nike;s? the finish mens run clip on youtube recap is cut short now for some reason

ok which model of ON? I dont think their carbon plate version helps much since they dont use the same foam tech as the other companies do with that bubble design, or does it?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The On CloudBoom is a great shoe. On is doing a lot of great things in their designs. I can't really comment on a comparison to Nike, I'm just simply not willing to wear them at this point. I've never tried them on.

synthetic wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
I have ran in nothing but On Running shoes since 2015.

synthetic wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
No. I heat mold my Bont cycling shoes and have never had any issues with the On shoes.

Climb11 wrote:
Do you use custom/molded insoles in your cycling or running shoes?

wait, you used ON shoes for the daytona race? thought it was the Nike;s? the finish mens run clip on youtube recap is cut short now for some reason

ok which model of ON? I dont think their carbon plate version helps much since they dont use the same foam tech as the other companies do with that bubble design, or does it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I definitely do a lot on the treadmill in the winter. I'll do almost all of my interval work on the treadmill in the winter, maybe one outdoor run per week. In the warmer weather, I'll swap that and do 1 treadmill session per week and the rest outdoors. When I was back in Iowa, I had to do any hill work on the mill. Now I'm in Castle Rock, I'll go too the treadmill when I want flat sessions.

JackStraw13 wrote:
Just wanted to say great race Matt. It was fun watching you hunt people down on the run course. Do you do much of your run training on the treadmill?

What treadmill do you own? And honestly, have you killed it? You're running sub 6:15/mi regularly for an AEROBIC pace (dear god!), so that TM must be hitting low 5s for you on intervals!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I actually just partnered TechnoGym. I got the SkillRun 7 when I moved to Colorado. It is by far the best treadmill I've ever been on.

lightheir wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
I definitely do a lot on the treadmill in the winter. I'll do almost all of my interval work on the treadmill in the winter, maybe one outdoor run per week. In the warmer weather, I'll swap that and do 1 treadmill session per week and the rest outdoors. When I was back in Iowa, I had to do any hill work on the mill. Now I'm in Castle Rock, I'll go too the treadmill when I want flat sessions.

JackStraw13 wrote:
Just wanted to say great race Matt. It was fun watching you hunt people down on the run course. Do you do much of your run training on the treadmill?

What treadmill do you own? And honestly, have you killed it? You're running sub 6:15/mi regularly for an AEROBIC pace (dear god!), so that TM must be hitting low 5s for you on intervals!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What made you make the decision to move to Colorado?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife got a job opportunity out here.

stevej wrote:
What made you make the decision to move to Colorado?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt, inspirational stuff seeing you pull through the field!

What does your ideal realistic day in Kona look like? I assume you’d like to swim with the “main” (not front) pack and build into a low 2:4x run. What about the bike? What kind of ride is both realistic and sets you up to run fast?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona 2nd place finish- AMA [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless they change the draft zone to 20m in Kona, you pretty much have to stay in contact with the main bike group as well.

MI_Mumps wrote:
Hey Matt, inspirational stuff seeing you pull through the field!

What does your ideal realistic day in Kona look like? I assume you’d like to swim with the “main” (not front) pack and build into a low 2:4x run. What about the bike? What kind of ride is both realistic and sets you up to run fast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona seems like such a tightrope act! Every year guys seem to overbike, but you also have guys moving up a ton of places on the run. Do you decide before the race “if I can come off the bike near this guy I’m probably in good position”?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next