Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand Garmin performance
Quote | Reply
This bothered me in the summer when I first bought my direct drive trainer but I had been outside for the last 4 or so months so it was out of sight out of mind.

If I’m doing a 90 min ride in zone 1/2 HR and zone 3 power 70% of FTP why is my performance -4?

I know the VO2 Max is kind of a vanity number but I’d like to be able to track progress as I’m likely going to start doing intervals inside for the first time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Garmin performance [MiRoBu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Performance condition"?

Do you not use power outside (or do you not use your garmin (or look at Garmin Connect) outside)?

Anyway, I find that performance condition +/minus correlates pretty well with changes to Garmin's estimate of VO2 max (but Garmin's estimate is high relative to what I think my VO2 max really is -- but changes to the estimate tend to correlate well with my sense of changes to my condition). However, certain kinds of workouts make Garmin overestimate my condition (typically shorter workouts or repeated short intervals at high power). Workouts with a lot of HR drift will tend to give low performance condition numbers (and will eventually yield a lower VO2 max estimate).

That's just me -- YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does youre perfomance come up after your workout? Mine always popped up about after my warm up and seemed like an indicator of my condition. Seemes yo be pretty accurate too (ie. Negative after a hard day and positive after a rest day).

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Garmin performance [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I rediscovered cycling this year I had primarily been running for the past couple years. (60 mpw with an interval/tempo/LR each week ) But see myself upping time on the bike pretty substantially in 2021 just because I enjoy it. So no power meter outside. I just kind of winged rides this summer and fall no set forms of training. Just deciding to push on flats i knew I could for 10 + mins at a time and also up hills.

I’m getting a new bike but deciding on what to do for that is a whole other issue based off of supply chain for companies. (Do I need the high end carbon? No but that’s all I can get before this time next year so might have to. Trying to justify spending 7k on a bike when I really only want to spend 4-5 is something I’ve been mulling for awhile but I digress. New bike will have a power meter just depends on which one quarq or stages.

The performance condition for running is pretty straight forward, lower HR with increasing paces increases the performance condition and drives Vo2 max up.

For a 90 min on erg mode. HR pretty constant what am I missing. Maybe I’m just not familiar with the power to HR zone, because I’m pretty dialed into the HR zones for running.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Garmin performance [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Does youre perfomance come up after your workout? Mine always popped up about after my warm up and seemed like an indicator of my condition. Seemes yo be pretty accurate too (ie. Negative after a hard day and positive after a rest day).

No, I’m not talking about the indicator at the beginning of an activity but the activity itself has a trend over the duration of the activity.

If I experience HR drift of say 5 bpm on an easy hour run I might go from positive to 1 to negative 1 or zero, which is fine that won’t impact my Vo2 max score at all might change me from being productive to maintaining.

However if my HR drifts 5 bpm from say an average of 132 for a ride and my max is 135 towards the end (still zone 2 HR) the ride becomes unproductive. Most of that drift is probably due to being hot from not having a fan to be honest.

From a feel perspective it’s an easy ride, I’m completely fine afterward and power was Constance because of erg and cadence was constant as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance Condition is basically a real time version of your VO2Max. It is expressed as the difference to the baseline of your VO2Max. So if your VO2Max is 48, and PC reports +2, that indicates a real time VO2Max estimate of 50.

You can expect PC to be slightly positive in the early parts of a ride, and gradually decline as fatigue accumulates and HR for the same effort level increases.

Unless your cooling setup is very good, you can expect your indoor PC to be lower than an equivalent ride outdoors, as your HR will be higher as the body tries to get rid of excess body heat with lower airflow.

Most people tend to use indoor trainers to do shorter (up to 1 hour) more intense workouts - 3-4 hour aerobic rides on a trainer are mentally miserable, and few people do them. You are good at the type of training you have been doing recently. And if indoor training season means you are doing mainly short more intense rides and you aren't doing regular long aerobic rides, you can expect to see lower PC scores during z2 work.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Garmin performance [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 mins today. Tossed in 2 5 min surges at 115% FTP and the overall performance shot up from -1 at the start to plus 10. I guess I just need to do more intervals to gauge what my real cycling vo2 max is...
Quote Reply