Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need an easy day shoe, recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Nearing the end of lifespan for my easy days shoes. Wondering what everyone here is wearing. I’ve never tried Hoka, but the idea of a bit more cushion underfoot is tempting.

Seems like a good time to be on the lookout for good deals as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike Zoom Fly 3 for all speeds

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinvara. It can be an easy day shoe, a fast day, all in between.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've received some criticism and even some friendly ribbing for this recommendation, but I genuinely like and run a lot in the Skechers GOrun Ride 8's. Obviously shoe preference is very personal so try these recommendations on if you can, but don't overlook the big "S" just because of the big "S". I have ran in the Cliftons, Bondis, Kinvaras, Solar Glides, Solar Boosts, Brooks Levitates, Ghosts etc. and the hyper burst foam in Skechers is my favorite of the lot for training shoes at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Nearing the end of lifespan for my easy days shoes. Wondering what everyone here is wearing. I’ve never tried Hoka, but the idea of a bit more cushion underfoot is tempting.

New Hoka One One Rincon`s are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [tmwst19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m certainly not opposed to any brand. I’ve heard good things about the Skechers midsole foam. Their horizon vanish shoe has my eye as a 5k-10k racer. Under 6oz in my size for around $75.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

What show do you usually run in (for not easy days). My recommendation is to choose something that is different to that. Switching things up will reduce the repetitive strain that comes with running in the same shoes all the time. I do most of my running in Nike Zoom Fly but I would definitely recommend trying the Hokas for easy days. The Bondi is a solid bet - it's been around for a long time - I have not run in them since the second generation but even those were great for easy recovery or very long days. The Rincon looks great too but I have never tried them. Maybe try both and see what feels best for you.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

What do you use currently ?

Indeed Hoka Rincon (1 or 2) are great. Cushionned and light.
Hoka Clifton (6 or 7) are a bit more cushionned.
Hoka Bondi (6 or 7) even more cushionned...

All 4 or 5 mm drop, and stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely consider the Saucony endorphin shift! Much more responsive foam than Homs and a good price point. 3 strides in them told me I HAD to buy them. I’ve not changed my mind, a truly awesome shoe with plenty of forefoot cushion yet one still feels the road.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Parkland wrote:

What show do you usually run in (for not easy days). My recommendation is to choose something that is different to that. Switching things up will reduce the repetitive strain that comes with running in the same shoes all the time. I do most of my running in Nike Zoom Fly but I would definitely recommend trying the Hokas for easy days. The Bondi is a solid bet - it's been around for a long time - I have not run in them since the second generation but even those were great for easy recovery or very long days. The Rincon looks great too but I have never tried them. Maybe try both and see what feels best for you.

I currently have the Nike Pegasus turbo 2, adidas SL20, and Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit.

I’m thinking about leaning into Hoka even though I swore I’d never wear them years ago...pure vanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
Absolutely consider the Saucony endorphin shift! Much more responsive foam than Homs and a good price point. 3 strides in them told me I HAD to buy them. I’ve not changed my mind, a truly awesome shoe with plenty of forefoot cushion yet one still feels the road.

I had almost forgotten about the Shift. I hear so much about the endorphin speed and endorphin pro. Don’t think I’ve heard anything bad about the Shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
playguy wrote:

I had almost forgotten about the Shift. I hear so much about the endorphin speed and endorphin pro. Don’t think I’ve heard anything bad about the Shift.

I have all three and love them for varying reasons. The shift is a really remarkable shoe in that it covers a lot of needs. As I work in a running store, we can’t keep them in stock. They pretty much are a Hoka killer here. With good cushioning and 4mm drop and a great heel counter in a truly form fitting shoe, usually the customer walks out with the Shift. Try it as I think you’ll really love it!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Clifton 6 or 7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I’m in the minority on this forum, but Hoka’s absolutely did not work for me.

A year and a half ago I added the Bondi 6 as an easy day shoe thinking the max cushioning would be a great alternative to my daily trainers (Altra Escalante). I ended up with some bad Achilles issues and had to stop running for a couple months. I had been running in Altras for about a decade and this model for over 2 years. I worked them into my rotation slowly and hadn’t increased my mileage so I had nothing else to point to. I’m a true mid foot striker (none of my shoes ever have heel wear) so not sure if that was playing a role why they didn’t work for me.

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Nov 27, 20 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been a hoka hater for several years but I have to say the hoka carbon x are the best shoes I have ever ran in. I can run any speed or distance in those things. I’ve got about 350 miles in mine they will last past 400 miles. I’ve got a pair on Rincon’s and the Clifton 7 and I always find myself wanting to run in the carbon x.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I’ve been a hoka hater for several years but I have to say the hoka carbon x are the best shoes I have ever ran in. I can run any speed or distance in those things. I’ve got about 350 miles in mine they will last past 400 miles. I’ve got a pair on Rincon’s and the Clifton 7 and I always find myself wanting to run in the carbon x.

Interesting. We can't GIVE away Carbon X, especially once they try the Endorphins. Just shows that each individual is unique.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I know I’m in the minority on this forum, but Hoka’s absolutely did not work for me.

A year and a half ago I added the Bondi 6 as an easy day shoe thinking the max cushioning would be a great alternative to my daily trainers (Altra Escalante). I ended up with some bad Achilles issues and had to stop running for a couple months. I had been running in Altras for about a decade and this model for over 2 years. I worked them into my rotation slowly and hadn’t increased my mileage so I had nothing else to point to. I’m a true mid foot striker (none of my shoes ever have heel wear) so not sure if that was playing a role why they didn’t work for me.

I usually tell people the Bondis are like running on a mattress; soft but one can't run fast on a mattress. I found myself waiting, waiting, waiting for the rebound that never came.....way too plush for my taste but we've sold a ton to walkers and people that spend hours on their feet on hard floors. In fact I wear them on the cement sales floor, but with the mushy feel and poor mid foot fit on my foot, no way I'd even think about running in them. Try the Shift......it's pretty damn amazing.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asics Novablast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Pegasus Turbo II. Soft under foot running easy and quickens up at faster speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your best bet is go to your local running shop (LRS) and try on 3-5pair.
Any reputable store will let you take a short test jog in them up/down the sidewalk or the mall or wherever they are.

Choose the pair that you like the best and does not duplicate a shoe in your current line up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Need an easy day shoe, recommendations? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Rincons for easy runs.

Good cushion, light, breathable but not too pillowy so that you’re losing energy return.
Quote Reply