Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peloton vs Woodway treadmills
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I need to get a home treadmill, and from what I've read, it seems the slat belt design of the Peloton and Woodway are perhaps the easiest on impact and the joints. That said, does anyone have experience with both that could compare and contrast these two options? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [beuerc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on peloton, but I have ran on woodway and now own a trueform trainer. I dismissed the peloton after reading dcrainmaker's review. I loved the woodway the first time I ran on it and would go to my gym to use it. Unfortunately, they only had 4 of them. One was usually broken and they were placed in front so a lot of people would go up to them first before the other TM. Then COVID hit...

I read glowing reviews from tririg and took a risk. I love it. It feels like really running and close to the woodway. I've also done a few barefoot runs. It's a manual curved treadmill. My pace on it is much slower than my road/trail runs (I have a runn sensor) based on perceived effort. N=1, but my actual road/trail runs are much faster now and have a better proprioception of form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t tried either one, but you can schedule a test run on the Peloton through their web site, if there’s a showroom in your area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I considered a Peloton treadmill but decided on Woodway for a couple reasons. I have no doubt that the Peloton treadmills are solid and they are reasonably priced compared to a Woodway. The main issues I had dealt with the screen. Currently, you can only use it for the Peloton software and nothing else. This is a big disadvantage in my opinion. Also, the large size of the screen is great if you are using it, but gets in the way if you have a tv or something else you are trying to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [RonMar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can easily watch netflix on the peloton treadmill's screen
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I was under the impression that is not possible. Can you use it for Zwift?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Brytcyd [ In reply to ]
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [Brytcyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That certainly makes a big difference! Some of the reviews I saw early on said that none of that was possible. Either that is a change or they were just wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edit: Whoa, I was lazy in responding here. I was trying to respond to Post #4 re: the WW. I have a WW 4Front which I connect to Zwift with BLE. From everything I've read, you cannot connect the Peloton Treadmill to Zwift.
Last edited by: Brytcyd: Jan 28, 21 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, that makes much more sense now. I have a 2015 4Front. I can connect it to Zwift but I had to get the gem retro module from NPE. That plus a foot pod makes for some fun times on Zwift. Living in MN means braving the cold and ice or doing a lot of indoor miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonMar wrote:
That certainly makes a big difference! Some of the reviews I saw early on said that none of that was possible. Either that is a change or they were just wrong.

Its not a listed feature but the screen has a web browser and you can fire up netflix on it.

It is possible to use zwift with the footpod/npe runn but requires being a little more technically advanced and knowing how to sideload apps onto an android device
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Woodway! Indestructible. Very heavy to move around but otherwise wonderful. Buy one used. Save thousands and thousands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently picked up an Assault Airrunner, which is another slat-based manual treadmill. Ended up on this one because my wife likes Zwift and it is on the compatible list. I like it because it's very spartan. Simple display, no screens. (I have about 24 tablets, phones and screens around the house so I don't need one built into a machine that will bork at some point.)

Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly right! I just got 2008 Desmo Evo with nearly zero use...so excited for indoor miles and my next MN winter!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a Woodway Path? I am looking at that model and wanted a review. Its shorter than the 4 front but if I compare it to my current treadmill the running surface is identical so even though it looks truncated its the same size.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have a Path and it works great for me. No issues with the shorter running surface (and I’m tall at 6’4”.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
Exactly right! I just got 2008 Desmo Evo with nearly zero use...so excited for indoor miles and my next MN winter!

In Nov 2016, I got a 2009 Desmo that was used from 2009-20016 Oct in a health club. It was heavily used but has been bomb proof. One slate actually broke last winter (I now realize it was broken in the club partially as it was giving more than other slats but I did not realize it). In 40 min I was able to fix the slat once I got a few tools from Amazon and ordered the slat online. I think I am set now for 10 years since this treadmill was probably used 5-12 hrs per day before I got it and probably with runners anywhere from 120 lbs to 250lbs. I am 145 lbs (well now trending towards 150 lbs so maybe I need to use it more after sitting on my ass post 100/100 with no racing in sight locally)
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

In Nov 2016, I got a 2009 Desmo that was used from 2009-20016 Oct in a health club. It was heavily used but has been bomb proof. One slate actually broke last winter (I now realize it was broken in the club partially as it was giving more than other slats but I did not realize it). In 40 min I was able to fix the slat once I got a few tools from Amazon and ordered the slat online. I think I am set now for 10 years since this treadmill was probably used 5-12 hrs per day before I got it and probably with runners anywhere from 120 lbs to 250lbs. I am 145 lbs (well now trending towards 150 lbs so maybe I need to use it more after sitting on my ass post 100/100 with no racing in sight locally)

That's awesome! I hope mine last 20 years after getting it down to the pain cave this weekend with three neighbors.

Mine had 875 miles and 230 hours on it. It was in Cy Young and 2x world series champ Chris Carpenter's work out room in the house he built in STL. He has since moved out and no one used it and the new owner wanted a different treadmill probably with more graphics! So I lucked out.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got a Woodway 4Front in June/July 2020. We ordered the one with the fancy display instead of the basic display. The thought was we would be able to watch netflix, and possibly zwift run in the future on the screen. However I did have my doubts about the screen as generally I don't find the tech keeps up.

Overall it's great, the WW is solid, feels great, and is quieter compared to out old belt treadmill.

A couple of issues:

First, the screen: I would not include that option again for several reasons:
  • displayis not great watching movies/netflix/youtube compared to a TV (even a budget 250$ costco special)
  • I could not seem to find a convenient way to stay logged in to netflix if the unit is turned off.
  • I couldn't seem to find a way to show the TV and running stats (pace/distance/etc) at the same time.

We ended up getting another TV and mounting to the wall for watching content. The WW display is only used for running info now. It could be great for some people but not for us.

Second issue is that the built-in BLE does not work so I can't log my runs to zwift. I have tried multiple devices and nothing seems to pick it up. I bought the NPE GEM retro adaptor that another poster mentioned, and it sort of works. All my devices/apple TV can see the signal and connect however I get 2 pace dropouts every few minutes (see image) on a regular basis which is very frustrating as it wrecks avg speed and distance. Because of this I track my treadmill km's manually with my watch. I am trying to get this sorted with both WW and NPE but so far no luck. I find this kind of disappointing considering what we paid.

I believe that we will get it sorted, but it's just one more thing.
Last edited by: JStirfry: Mar 10, 21 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Woodway treadmills [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WW should send a tech out and, at a minimum, confirm/update the firmware. Assuming up-to-date firmware, this is absolutely a warranty issue for which a new BT board should be provided. Way, way too expensive for any of the BS experience you've shared.
Quote Reply