Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire repair when racing
Quote | Reply
I did my last Ironman in the 80’s and can’t even remember what I brought just in case I got a flat. In fact, and this is gonna date me.....I think I raced on sew ups. My question is, what do you bring on the bike when racing.....to repair flats or anything else that may happen????
I’m doing the 70.3 in Kona in June 20021 and then a 140.6 next summer of 2021.
Thanks in advance.... everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful on this forum.
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mounted a small tool bag on my bike with a tube, CO canister, canister connection, two tire removal plastic pries and small 5mm Allen wrench. Probably a better utility tool would be better.

The good news is that unless it’s a really bad road surface, it’s unlikely you’ll get a flat - but not impossible.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd,
Thanks. About the same that I carry on an everyday ride. Little bit of extra weight but a necessity just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I carry, although I carry two CO2's. One thing I would add is a piece of patch (see Park Tool Emergency Boot). I've seen flats from a TINY piece of metal in the tire that could not be removed, so flats keep happening unless you cover that area.

Also, make sure the valve stem on your spare tube is long enough, if you have aero wheels, and/or not too long, if you run a disc wheel. I carry two spare tubes for my tri-bike, one with a long stem for the front aero wheel and the other with a short stem for the disc wheel.

And of course practice. It's worth using up a CO2 canister or two to make sure you know how everything works and can do it relatively quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my race setup I run a deep front wheel (90mm) and a disc rear (both are HED Jet plus). I carry 1 spare tube that has a valve length that is short enough for the disc valve cutout. But put an valve extender on there long enough for the front deep wheel. That way if need be I can remove the extender depending on which wheel flatted. Also pack tire levers, CO2 inflater (couple of cans), small multi-tool, spare chain quick links (you never know), tube patch kit and Di2 wire tool (cause i run Di2). Also a couple of paper towels....to wipe hands down if you have to mess with the chain...had to do that during a TT once as I had the chain drop mis-shifting the front chainring.

I also carry some emergency tire boots in case of a cut (got the park tool ones). Had that happen on a brand new tire on my road bike with a 3" long sidewall cut.

One thing I also have in there is a kool stop tire bead jack as it make it easier to mount tires on extra wide wheels (when you're worn out from riding/swimming affects finger dexterity for me at least). I bought a second one and cut the handle shorter to fit in my saddle bag.

One thing to note is for short races i really only carry the 1 tube but for longer distances I'd carry 2 because you never know. Probably would try to fit a 3rd CO2 cannister too.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought carrying extra tubes and CO2 canisters, but then in the back of my mind I always think that if I am unfortunate enough to have two flats my race is done :) I just don't think I could mentally get back in the game.

For longer training rides, if I had two flats, I'd call my wife or a friend to come get me...

I only carry one spare tire on my truck :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tube, CO2, inflator, and levers. Small multitool.

If I need more than that, my race is over anyway
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dktxracer,
Thanks for the suggestions....very good points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry a patch kit. I'm old fashioned and still use good old butyl tubes. If I can find what caused the flat (nail, glass, screw, splinter, thorn, goathead, etc) I can patch a tube faster than I can change it, and you don't even take the wheel off the bike. I've been riding over 40 years, and 9 times out of 10, the cause of the flat, is still in the tire. Locate it, pop just enough tire bead off to pull the tube out, scratch, apply glue, it's dry in seconds, apply patch, don't forget to remove offending object, shove the tube back in, pop the bead back on, inflate and go. Living in Kansas, the land of goatheads, one gets really really good at this.

I have to comment, that the above used to be common. 40 years ago we all did it. I'm blow away these days, that almost no one does it. "Wow... you can do that?" is usually the reaction I get. I'm back on the road quicker than some folks have their back wheel off.

The only time I replace the tube on a ride or race, is when I can't find the offending object in the tire, and that's rare. Like I mentioned, I probably patch-and-go 9 times for every wheel/tire-removal-tube change.

Being old fashioned, one thing I've never tried, are the no-glue self-adhesive patches. Most of the reviews I read on them are not very good. A good galvanizing glue patch will last the life of a tube, but the reviews on self adhesive patches, sound very temporary. But in a race, they would make getting back on the road about 30 seconds to a minute quicker (no waiting for glue to dry), in the above scenario.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Nov 12, 20 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, the minimal flat kit is 1 Tube, 1 Tire Lever, and 1 CO2.

In addition to the above, I carry a micropump and some adhesive patches. This basically ensures that I can make it back to T2 even with multiple flats.

All of the above fits in a spare water bottle that is in one of my behind-the-seat cages.

Many people will also add a small multitool in case of things like slipped seatposts.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless + sealant = no more flats
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you carry a tubeless repair kit for races? Or an extra tire and sealant?

Im debating going tubeless for 70.3.

I had flats on my roadbike tubeless use muc off sealant and made it home on a 75 miler ok sealant did its job sprayed a lot to seal a glass puncture 35 miles into ride. Air pressure was down a little but much faster than if I would have to stop and change tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While tubeless flats are rare, they are not unheard of, so many/most folks pack a spare tube and CO2 as a flat kit.

Roadside repairs are a huge mess though, courtesy of all that sealant.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your goal is just to finish without worrying about breaking 5:00 in a 70.3 and being fine with 5:01 is ok... then just get these:

https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-airless-tires
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bring the exact same as you bring on your training rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bring a floor pump, to get the PSI really dialed,
An extra tube, and an extra tire for both wheels. I also bring an air compressor in case one of my CO2s doesn’t work and the floor pump breaks. Bring a can of spray foam to fill the tire in case your extra tubes blow. it’s not bad,
It all fits in an aero trailer behind my shiv. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are going to try CO2, then get one that has a valve connector that has a screw tap or trigger on it, that way you can control when the CO2 empties after you connect it. Also, get the CO2 cartidge with a foam sleave around it. That stops it rattling in your spare kit, and also keeps your fingers from getting really cold when youre inflating, and its reusable. Last thing - cartridges come with a threaded top or non-threaded and the one you need depends on the valve connector you use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a CO failure on a training ride I now carry a mini pump on my bike. Unless you are FOP an extra minute to pump up a tyre will not make a lot of difference. I carry two tubes, valve extenders and the valve extender tool thingy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
I bring a floor pump, to get the PSI really dialed,
An extra tube, and an extra tire for both wheels. I also bring an air compressor in case one of my CO2s doesn’t work and the floor pump breaks. Bring a can of spray foam to fill the tire in case your extra tubes blow. it’s not bad,
It all fits in an aero trailer behind my shiv. ;)

I'm laughing at your satire! But really, in a dozen years of racing, I did experience a flat - at USAT nationals - changed the tire, and the CO2 did not work because the inflator head would not penetrate the top. Race over. When I got home, I put a different inflator on, same thing. It's like the CO2 cannister was manufactured with a triple thick coating on the head. I now always take a 2nd CO2 as back up. But I'm considering an aero trailer so I can increase my bench stock further!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness I keep 2 co2 with me I case I screw up or it misfires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone ride/race with sew ups?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire repair when racing [Iron Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You caught that I was talking about in the 80’s.....right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you're now using clincher tyres with inner tubes (as nobody has confirmed that).

I'm not at the pointy end so take the extra 100g or so penalty and carry a bit more than some here. As after 6 months training, and £500-£1000 spent after race entry when doing an Iron distance race, accommodation, travel etc (more if flying is involved) I'd be fhecked right off if I DNF for the sake of a 2nd tube and a co2 cylinder.
2 flats will add a few minutes to my race time. It won't end my race (I do agree it does for a sprint race and you're there to win).

For me 2x tubes, 2x co2 cylinder and the head for them, a small multi tool that includes a chain breaker that I know works, (as someone else said) a chain quick link. And the Park sticky patches, just in case needed (hey they are in a 3/4" square plastic box that's 3/16" thick. Hardly going to lose the world champs for that).
Tubes have extenders on as others say to suit the rim depth.

Guy I know went to the AG worlds in Edmonton a couple of years ago. No flat kit as the race is over for them if they flat...
Flatted 2 yards out of T1.
DNF.
Now that's a shiity expensive DNF after travelling from the UK for the sake of 2 seconds worth of drag from a Pitstop cylinder taped on your seat post.
£3-4k for a 750m swim 😖
He doesn't even particularly like swimming 🤣
Quote Reply