Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Much Faster?
Quote | Reply
I am looking for all the small tweaks, so of course ST will be the first resource I go to!!

Historically, I have never paid much attention to the difference in "free" speed that one could obtain with more aero wheels, cockpit, fit, etc. I am curious how much time difference one could imagine with different wheels.

Wheels used:
Flashpoint 80/60

Results:
Hilly 140.6 at 5:00
Flat 140.6 at 4:40
Flat 70.3 at 2:05

What times could one expect if a current model wheelset from ENVE, Zipp, Flo, HED were on vs the Flashpoints (circa 2010?)
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know anything about the flashpoint wheels but before you go dropping a bunch of cash on new wheels, look at the tires, tubes, and pressures you run. Just those alone could be a big improvement over your current setup without dropping a ton of money.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
I am looking for all the small tweaks, so of course ST will be the first resource I go to!!

Historically, I have never paid much attention to the difference in "free" speed that one could obtain with more aero wheels, cockpit, fit, etc. I am curious how much time difference one could imagine with different wheels.

Wheels used:
Flashpoint 80/60

Results:

What times could one expect if a current model wheelset from ENVE, Zipp, Flo, HED were on vs the Flashpoints (circa 2010?)

Flo makes this data very easy to find in their website.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 9, 20 18:50
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About tree fiddy.
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flashpoint wheels were made by Zipp at a lower price point and used their older carbon and aluminum toroidal rims.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...-wheels#.X6oHqWmIZPw
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:

Wheels used:
Flashpoint 80/60

Results:

Flo makes this data very easy to find in their website.

Nice! TY!
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Flashpoint wheels were made by Zipp at a lower price point and used their older carbon and aluminum toroidal rims.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...-wheels#.X6oHqWmIZPw

Yup, you are right.
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Faster? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I don’t know anything about the flashpoint wheels but before you go dropping a bunch of cash on new wheels, look at the tires, tubes, and pressures you run. Just those alone could be a big improvement over your current setup without dropping a ton of money.

I've been reading up on this as well. Totally would prefer the most financial friendly route! TY!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at your times, I guess you are into the realms of marginal gains. I would go onto the Swiss Side website and drop JP Ballard a message. He runs Swiss side and is an ex-Formula One Aerodynamicist. Swiss Side have a very advanced wind tunnel. From what I read, the new Hadron Ultimate is the most aerodynamic wheel on the market, and I am sure that JP will give you some idea how miuch faster they would be.
Quote Reply