Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Drink Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Alright I have been using the same stuff, GU Roctane on the bike for quite a few years and looking to try something new as I need a change. More just tired of the same old stuff at this point.

Here is my list of what I like and hoping to buy a couple samples to try a few new options,
1) I need something with quite a bit of sodium as I sweat a ton.
2) The more calories the better as I prefer to drink more calories than eat solids.
3) I like some flavor (tried Tailwind but just to bland for me)

Just what is some of your favorites out there to try?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched this year from Tailwind to Skratch. I found the TW bland and well and personally like the flavors better which means I drink more. I just use the regular hydration mix which is 80 calories per serving but they do have a supefuel version with more calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Alright I have been using the same stuff, GU Roctane on the bike for quite a few years and looking to try something new as I need a change. More just tired of the same old stuff at this point.

Here is my list of what I like and hoping to buy a couple samples to try a few new options,
2) The more calories the better as I prefer to drink more calories than eat solids.

Infinit custom blend. Get exactly what you need and want.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [hiker726] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Skratch, I use mostly on easy days or shorter rides as I don't think it has enough calories for me. Saw their new super fuel just cost so damn much.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I have with Infinite is I am not willing to spend what they charge to try some custom blend that I may or may not like. If they had a custom sampler pack of a couple custom blends you could make maybe I would be open to it but probably doesn't scale for them to entertain that model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the homebrew option. I use dextrose, electrolyte tabs and flavor drops like Mio or Koolaid to get the flavor I want on the day. I find Lemon SiS to be a good base for the electrolyte and easy to change the flavor.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [cayennne92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cayennne92 wrote:
I like the homebrew option. I use dextrose, electrolyte tabs and flavor drops like Mio or Koolaid to get the flavor I want on the day. I find Lemon SiS to be a good base for the electrolyte and easy to change the flavor.

+1 on homebrew

I'm partial to maltodextrin as the carbs (doesn't add flavor....just a slight "creaminess"....readily available at the local brewing supplies store [found one 5mi. from my house via Google]). Once you have a mix that works for you, you can change the flavor whenever you want by just getting a different flavor of MIO (or any other zero-calorie flavor drops).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like table sugar with iodized salt, a bit of squeezed lemon or lime for flavor or maybe even a bit of fruit juice

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
I like table sugar with iodized salt, a bit of squeezed lemon or lime for flavor or maybe even a bit of fruit juice

Perfect. Easy and economical. You can ride hard all day on that formula.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize that Maurten is expensive but... Oh man, I am a big time sweater too, and then crampy like no other...

I got the sample pack and used it this summer on many rides over 140 miles. Nary a cramp nor severely dehydrated. I love the stuff. And now they have a caffeinated mix, BRO, this stuff is great.

I also use Skratch.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, new one to me I will check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
The problem I have with Infinite is I am not willing to spend what they charge to try some custom blend that I may or may not like. If they had a custom sampler pack of a couple custom blends you could make maybe I would be open to it but probably doesn't scale for them to entertain that model.

Well, I obviously can’t speak to your finances, but a $20 investment to potentially address all of the concerns you outlined seems like a fairly low risk proposition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Tailwind cola flavor? That's my new go-to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware of anything they did for $20 I thought almost all their options were north of $60. I will go back out and take a look at their site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
I wasn't aware of anything they did for $20 I thought almost all their options were north of $60. I will go back out and take a look at their site.
it’s only 5 servings so, admittedly quite pricey per serving. But would give you the chance to try with less invested. And, I found their consultants are quite helpful too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK thanks. I will check it out as I must have missed that option in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use UCAN and love it. I buy an unflavored canister and also flavored , then I mix it depending on the ride. I make concentrated bottles and then just use water in my aero bottle. I love it for many reasons....no sugar, mixed well, no stomach upset, can be different concentrations depending on what I need. Also, it's not sticky, so for windy, hot races, it's awesome! Good luck with your search:)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to try something different, that is probably going to be fairly cost-effective, I'd suggest F2C Glycodurance. The stuff is made here in the Fraser Valley of BC, Canada, (where your Yankee bucks are worth about 30% > than our Canadian dollar).

It has a very gut-friendly sugar base, blended with electrolyte. I did the new Ironman Canada bike course using ONLY that, once in hot (90 degree) weather, once in mild (72 degree weather). Things worked out very well for me. A solid energy base, decent taste, no drama in the guts.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
ClarkWGriz wrote:

Infinit custom blend. Get exactly what you need and want.

This was a significant game changer for me, I no longer need to carry any gels on either the bike or the run. Well worth the cost, when you consider how much we spend on bikes,accessories and clothing it really isn't that bad of a deal, especially when it is made just for you not by some random model

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently wanted to try some new nutrition stuff so i ordered a bunch of single serving options from thefeed.com. They have a bigger selection than any of my LBS or run stores, and i liked that i could order small amounts of many things. SIS has a drink mix (Beta Fuel) with lots of calories that you may want to check out. You can also get Maurten from them (i've never tried that).

When i placed my order i got a free water bottle. I've only used thefeed once, but was impressed with the selection. I just wish the pricing was better.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Drink Recommendations [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
cayennne92 wrote:

+1 on homebrew

I'm partial to maltodextrin as the carbs (doesn't add flavor....just a slight "creaminess"....readily available at the local brewing supplies store [found one 5mi. from my house via Google]). Once you have a mix that works for you, you can change the flavor whenever you want by just getting a different flavor of MIO (or any other zero-calorie flavor drops).

+2 on home brew, it is easy and if you want to drink your calories maltodextrin is #1 and does not typically cause stomach distress (you can pack a lot of maltodextrin into a bottle of drink). Then a mix of dextrose and fructose (fruit sugar), not sucrose, that is again easy to find in most bulk stores or even brew shops. Finally add some sea salt, then flavour it as you like. I do this for all really long bike rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:

For carbs:
80% sucrose
20% regular Gatorade

Moves the dial pretty close to 1:1 glucose:fructose (optimal), and has virtually identical osmolarity as maltodextrin+fructose.

For sodium I use:
Sodium Citrate

Put 120g carbs and 1000mg sodium per liter of fluid. I generally double-dose one bottle, and then leave the other bottle for water to chase with.

SUPER cheap. For more info (no product affiliation): https://renaissanceperiodization.com/...intra-workout-drinks

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've become a fan of GQ-6 3-2-1 Hydration Decent amount of electrolytes and calories. I prefer the Orange flavor.
Quote Reply