Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$725 Assos Winter Jacket
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/...y_TYeXNtX1FWCaVPGNQg

Umm....what?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: $725 Assos Winter Jacket [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pffft.....not much worse than folks spending $550 US on a Giro Aerohead Ultimate helmet........or 15k on a tri bike....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean - where's the outrage for DeBoer's $1300 cold water wetsuit? Niche stuff for sure.

If you are a winter rider and such - I think it would pay for itself. If you are really a performance based winter rider who wanted great gear. I ride occasionally in the winter, with less than ideal gear - but not inexpensive. I can see, if I rode outside 3-5 times a week in the winter, how the "best" gear could be worth it's weight in gold.

Like with most expensive things - it's not necessary, just nice if you like that quality. Lots of cheaper options if you can't afford it. And I can't, but I don't find that at all outrageous.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! I’m not the target audience for sure
Quote Reply
Re: $725 Assos Winter Jacket [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 1300 wetsuit didn't strike me as crazy. other top of the range wetsuits are in the 7, 8, 900 range. So 1300 isn't a crazy amount higher than that. but i see what you're saying. it's a lot of money.

725 for a jacket is nuts! if you can (and want) to afford this, more power to you, but wow that's a lot. You could spend half, or a third, of that and get other brands' top of the range kit and I'd be hard pressed to think the assos is 2x or 3x as good. Plus, for a 725-dollar jacket it doesn't catch the eye or have a wow factor in terms of how it looks. I'd want some more bling factor if I was buying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Fugujack I bought from them ~10 years ago was $550 back then, and one of the best winter jackets Ive ever had.

It is one of the best things... I wont spend money on assos for anything, with the exception of winter gear. Great winter gear makes such a huge difference compared to even good stuff (imo)
Quote Reply
Re: $725 Assos Winter Jacket [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I get the Deboer $1500 regular wetsuits. It's spending $1300 for COLD water swimming that was insane to me. But also cheap in terms of not dying. $1300 more than not swimming in freezing cold water in the first place - but I like the adventurous attitude.

I get it - and lots of other companies have splashier kit and such (although Deboer's wetsuits at $1500 are comparatively minimal in their presentation, so there's that) but I'm just saying - if you want the absolute top of the line and that's your style - you'll LOVE it and chances are you will have the exclusivity factor!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: $725 Assos Winter Jacket [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Pffft.....not much worse than folks spending $550 US on a Giro Aerohead Ultimate helmet........or 15k on a tri bike....

Actually, I think they target very different audiences. This jacket is made for everyday winter use-someone who probably plans to regularly ride outside in the winter. An aero helmet is used only a few times per year (or however many times you race). And I’m willing to bet most people that buy $15k bikes aren’t riding in temps that warrant this jacket.

But yeah, Pricing is crazy for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That explains pro-riders no longer tossing those jackets into the ditch, but handing them over to a seigneur or dropping it off back at the team car.
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 3, 20 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pricey but there are those who pay nearly $400 for Assos bib shorts too. Or $275+ plastic glasses called Oakleys. $15,000 bikes. There is a market for everyone. Right down to a Bugatti for a cool $3 mill for a Bugatti Veyron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assos.
Its good stuff no doubt. But just like many good things you're also paying a for brand badge.
Just like getting a Gucci handbag.(whereas I use a 25 year old Karrimor 40 litre rucksack!).
People are willing to pay for a brand name all over the world.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff is good. But I ride in shiiite weather quite a lot (I have to in Britain) and a combo of mainly Endura stuff + a few other things from Altura, + some really good winter cycling shoes keeps me going year after year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to say. i guess it depends who you think the jacket competes against. on the one hand, it's sort of nuts compared to other cycling jackets. i think i got mine on clearance for $30 at decathlon or something. granted, it's not a great jacket, but it's not 25 times worse than the assos.

on the other hand, $725 isn't nuts for outer layers in the wider outdoor industry. all the top companies (hardware, north face, arcteryx) will sell you a top-end skiing or climbing jacket in that range.

so . . . maybe?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: $725 Assos Winter Jacket [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
That's pricey but there are those who pay nearly $400 for Assos bib shorts too. Or $275+ plastic glasses called Oakleys. $15,000 bikes. There is a market for everyone. Right down to a Bugatti for a cool $3 mill for a Bugatti Veyron.

This.

I think it'll sell as there's a niche market out there for anything and I think Assos may have sized this up and set sales expectations accordingly. Otherwise it wouldn't be a product. I see the $15k bikes etc. around me - and on non-racers too. Some folks around where I am can easily afford it and rationalize the spend. I'm looking for a new wheelset and my price points are outrageous to the layperson (but modest for us here). Same laypersons that see no issues about spending $1k for the latest smartphone.
Quote Reply