Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Differences between NormaTec generations?
Quote | Reply
I have had 4 different generations of NormaTec systems over the last 7-8 years and really like the idea of getting another set of Pulse 2.0, but want some input from those of you who have also had multiple units. I have been using the NormaTec MVP (the one with the box that has orange on it) for the last few years and they work great. These ones: https://www.tririg.com/...w_NormaTec_MVP_Boots

About a year ago I bought some Pulse 2.0 to get the ability to not have to be plugged into the wall - but the boots just didn't feel as good (much less pressure at the highest setting) as my MVP boots. I called NormaTec and asked about this and they said the units should have had the same pressure (but they didn't). Also they said that "the science" showed that you get the same benefit from having the system at the lowest pressure as at the highest pressure. That sounded like BS to me so I just sold the Pulse 2.0 system and went back to my MVP unit. But here I am again wanting a battery powered unit.

What are your experiences? Does that wonderful snug high pressure feeling not really do anything more?

Also, pricing has come way down in the last 5-6 years - are the units / boots a lower quality now? ($1,650 then, now available at $995 new)

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Last edited by: pritchet74: Nov 2, 20 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Differences between NormaTec generations? [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nobody?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had both versions of the 2.0. The 1st one did not connect to the app and the 2nd one is just a bit smaller and does connect. Both versions felt the same to me. I have been pleased with both. FYI, the reason I got the 2nd was I bought it at a charity auction, and I gave the 1st to a friend who has liked it just fine.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pritchet74 wrote:

About a year ago I bought some Pulse 2.0 to get the ability to not have to be plugged into the wall - but the boots just didn't feel as good (much less pressure at the highest setting) as my MVP boots. I called NormaTec and asked about this and they said the units should have had the same pressure (but they didn't). Also they said that "the science" showed that you get the same benefit from having the system at the lowest pressure as at the highest pressure. That sounded like BS to me so I just sold the Pulse 2.0 system and went back to my MVP unit. But here I am again wanting a battery powered unit.

What are your experiences? Does that wonderful snug high pressure feeling not really do anything more?

Also, pricing has come way down in the last 5-6 years - are the units / boots a lower quality now? ($1,650 then, now available at $995 new)

So oddly enough, I have my second pair of Pulse 2.0 boots. My first pair was purchased right when they were released last year and the zippers were bad. I ended up returning those. What is interesting though, is my second pair doesn't seem as tight either. Previously I started on 5, and worked to 6 and sometimes 7. Whereas my second Pulse 2.0 I ended up starting at 6 and sometimes moving to 7. I chalked it up to simply not running as much but now you have me wondering.

I can say this as well, I would never sit in a pair of MVP boots, and believe me, I spent a long time in MVPs but I find in general the boots tend to stretch over time. I have used a lot of Normatec units by fellow pros too and I can say they often felt worn out. I also don't buy CS lowest pressure argument either. Not saying you have to feel the burn, because you shouldn't, but I like a solid squeeze. I still believe in mild compression, but if I want mild compression I'll just put on some socks.

And yes, I suspect the units are lower quality. They did up the quality going to the Pulse Gen 2 initially (the leg material) and the warranty, but something just doesn't feel right after they were bought out by HyperIce. With that being said, Normatec is a fantastic product, but yes it does feel like it has been cheapened a bit. That reminds, me, I had some LCD issues with my first Pulse 2.0 as well.

I hope this feedback helps. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Oh, and in regards the original Pulse Gen 2 upgrade (again not Pulse 2.0). It was a quiet upgrade. Gen 2 was my term, and I am not sure anyone else who actually has reviewed a Gen 2 actually knows that Normatec quietly upgraded their Pulse to a Gen 2. The main thing though that was fixed was the battery. The original battery in the Pulse was flawed. I wrote about this all here if you are interested.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 3, 20 20:49
Quote Reply
Re: Differences between NormaTec generations? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I hugely appreciate your response.

It might be time to try one of the non-NormaTec brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pritchet74 wrote:
Thanks - I hugely appreciate your response.

It might be time to try one of the non-NormaTec brands.

I don't want talk people down from NormaTec. They make, and popularized an amazing product. I'm sure they have felt the pressure from smaller players with less footprint which forced them to make changes in the supply chain. Anytime, you make changes in anything you introduce the opportunity for error. With that being said, and I have heard it time and time again, most people who go with a less expensive product are just as happy as a Normatec customer IME.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply