Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me with my crappy bike fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're getting somewhere. I can't say too much without knowing what kind of events you're doing.

I'm within a mm or so of your height and seam measurements and own a much much older Felt DA. I'm setup for short TT's. I had to do some uhmmmm "stuff" to get my stack low enough for my liking.

Feel free to search for my username and you'll see the fit topics I went through. I will not hijack this with that.

Reason I ask about the event types.......if someone is doing shorter TT's, I'd be a lot less prone to criticize a saddle height choice if it gets them into a baller ass position they can suffer through for 20ish minutes up to a few minutes under an hour. I don't TT on my saddle like a triathlete would sit on one for 4+ hours of an full IM bike leg.

One thing irrelevant to either of those, while you don't want to reach with your shoulders to get more reach......that pic looks like you can reach more.

IMO, you may need more stem or something. Or new extensions, hardware, or base bar to achieve it. I'm on a 56cm Felt DA at 5' 10". I feel a 55cm would be "just so" for me, but instead of the classic "pro likes smaller bikes" kinda stuff I tend to like my 56cm size.

A 54cm size is on the small end for someone that's 5' 10", and I think we're seeing that in how you're having to tweak that bike to get your fit. IMO. I'm not classically educated on this topic. That's just what it "looks like" to me. Bike is on the small side overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my crappy bike fit [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:
ps
It's a mission to embed photos on this site. I'll sort it out with time, but added some links in.

Agreed!

PS. position looking much better! I'd raise aero extensions/hands higher.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my crappy bike fit [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Allot of good input so far from EricMPro and others.

Events wise, I am mainly going to focus on Olympics and 1 or 2 70.3s a year. So definitely interested to see what the final fit feels like over longer distances and if sustainable. However not looking at a full any time soon. Very short time on the bike yesterday, but feels really comfortable so fingers crossed.

I'll look up your old fit posts on 'work breaks' today. Funny you mention the frame etc as its what I was thinking already. I.e. I'm making do with a smaller frame but a 56 would be better. I'll see if I can get by with the movement forward of the arm pads and extensions etc and more importantly what the final fit looks like before I consider any more $. But almost think a new aero bar bar/extns etc rather than another stem would be where I'd go IF I don't like the final fit after crank etc. For the saddle height, I'll play around with that after the crank install and also get some videos from behind etc, but only after a few rides to get used to the fit.

Thanks again
Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Nov 22, 20 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my crappy bike fit [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I was thinking of playing around with even more angle on the extensions, but will see what it looks like when I put in the new extensions next week. I think the current angle is approx 15 degrees. But I'm putting on aprofile design t4 extensions with a small ski bend so may get a bit more height by default without having to angle up any more. Open to changing these too as pretty cheap to update extensions, but will wait and see what it looks like when installed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting back into the game myself after a 4 year layoff. I'm impressed with your fit change. Looks great. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Update 3:

• Got the new 160mm crank installed. Definitely opens up my hips a bit and is very comfortable. When I had put in the lower stem, but still had the longer cranks, it felt ok, but definitely more closed off. Along with the new saddle, I think this feels super comfortable.
  • Swapped out the Sitero or an Adamo Prologue. I think I raised the saddle slightly, but can’t really move it back. Specifically, the Sitero was slammed forward, whereas the Prologue is slammed back. Odd. Anyway, I maybe have 3 to 4mm left to move backwards if it’s a good idea.
  • Changed the extensions which are easier on wrists. Also changed the arm cup pads to Cee Gees. The extensions and arm pads are about 17mm further from the end of saddle.
  • I feel like I could extend the extensions further by 1-2cm. However with my Profile Design F19 extensions, I think the cups will rise in height if that makes sense as the extensions are angled. Also, the CeeGees pads are probably 8mm thicker than the old profile design ones. This raises me up a bit at the front, but I like the comfort. Also worth noting that I’m slightly pulling on the extensions as it helps me lower my head into a shrug. Also need to get an aero helmet before racing (and after shitloads of training) – thinking a Giro Airhead may suit me.

So looking for feedback on the new position. Some general thoughts and questions:

• Does the saddle height and fore/aft position look ok? Saddle is angled down. Feels comfortable.
  • I’ve added a photo where I am trying to gauge the leg angle. I think its around 40 degree leg bend at bottom of pedal stroke.
  • In the shot from behind the bike, I still look to drop my left hip a bit. But not as much. Also, my turbo trainer is pretty old and doesn’t hold the bike in a stable position, so it moves about a bit and looks like I am rocking more than if on the road (I think). I.e. I think I’m a bit more stable than the video suggests. I’m inclined to think the hip drop is something I’d need to get checked out in a bike fit as maybe something else going on, but let me know if the saddle looks too high.
  • I’d love to move the pads closer together, and extend the extensions as mentioned, but not sure its that feasible at the moment with current setup. I’m tempted to ride in this position (inclusive of any changes you all recommend or I get in formal bike fit), before considering replacing the front end with a more flexible solution (Looked at Burnt the Sheeps old posts and looks interesting what he did). to be more flexible (extended and maybe dropped 1cm).
  • Overall, I think this is getting close to what I can achieve without a larger bike frame or new front end solution.

Any feedback appreciated!

Original before any changes:

Video of new position:

Front shot

Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Dec 10, 20 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leg Angle:

Video from back of bike:

Quote Reply

Prev Next