Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary
Quote | Reply
Looking for this image. It was an MRI cross section of thighs/quads 2 older adults, one a cyclist and one sedentary. I know it was posted here several years ago but I'm having trouble locating it again.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rockstar. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a cherry pick. He likely picked the thinnest, fittest 70 year old cyclist to scan his knee.

I've had my knee scanned as a mid40s triathlete who still has a six-pack, and the 70 year old knee MRI has less fat than my knee.

Still, I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that triathlete >> sedentary at age 70 (or all ages), but to think that 70 year old triathletes have equal muscle bulk and low fat on average compared to 40 year old triathletes would be a real stretch.

I'd however wager that 70 yr old triathlete knee is better than a 40 year old sedentary knee!
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
That's a cherry pick. He likely picked the thinnest, fittest 70 year old cyclist to scan his knee.

I've had my knee scanned as a mid40s triathlete who still has a six-pack, and the 70 year old knee MRI has less fat than my knee.

Still, I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that triathlete >> sedentary at age 70 (or all ages), but to think that 70 year old triathletes have equal muscle bulk and low fat on average compared to 40 year old triathletes would be a real stretch.

I'd however wager that 70 yr old triathlete knee is better than a 40 year old sedentary knee!

Knee??? I thought we were talking about the quad muscle here?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Look at the scan again, that's not what a knee looks like in an MRI.
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the fat/muscle I'm comparing. Sure, it's not the same, but it's close. Point still stands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing that stands out to me in those photos is femur bone density.

Question for the older athletes out there. Is it possible to have the kind of muscle mass in the "70 year old triathlete" MRI just from SBR, or does that invariably involve lifting weights to preserve muscle mass like that?
Quote Reply
Re: 70-year old cyclist thigh cross section vs sedentary [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Question for the older athletes out there. Is it possible to have the kind of muscle mass in the "70 year old triathlete" MRI just from SBR, or does that invariably involve lifting weights to preserve muscle mass like that?

good genetics is what you need..
that picture is nonsense. Does the triathlete have great muscle mass because of tri, or is he a triathlete because he still has great muscle mass ?
From my experience of aging, it's the second..
I'm working out more than I did in my 40s, weights year-round now instead of just in the winter, and losing strength steadily..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply