Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

eBay China special aerobar systems
Quote | Reply
Been looking for a cheap aerobar system with adjustable stack. Ebay has a few China made options. Has anyone has any experience with these? You can find them for about $180/$200. They look decent-ish - def good enough for my trainer bike. A couple examples below....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-handlebar-time-trial-HB086-carbon-handlebar-bicycle-TT-handlebar/183440489824

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-TT-Bullhorn-Bar-Aerobar-Full-Carbon-Fiber-Road-Bike-Handlebars-31-8mm/223557536794

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Oct 25, 20 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: eBay China special aerobar systems [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some Chinese carbon cheap aerobars, basebar from RXL SL on Amazon about 2 years back.

The hardware has been working totally fine for me, no problems or failures at all. I even got the RXL SL carbon stem and faceplate for it. I liked it so much I swapped my Giant roadbike to a carbon aero road bar by the same company.

I will add the caveat that I'm unaware of how get new replacement aerobar pads for the aerobars I bought. I couldn't find them on sale anywhere for this specific company. In my case, it didn't matter since I had already planned on making my on aerobar pads from craft foam, which is also working totally fine over the past 2 years.

Of course,in the grand scheme, I'm not sure if it's the greatest deal it seems to be. No customer service, likely low to no warrantee support, and definitely no crash-replacement policy. And no big company to hold accountable if you get injured from a catastrophic failure. When I was buying, alloy base bars costed over double what my carbon bar cost, but prices have come down since and it may just be better to go with an established company in the US that sells at not much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hong Fu stackable bars are pretty popular on the UK time trial scene, and there are a few companies here that sell them with their own stickers. I've been running a set for 3 years, no issues whatsoever. Think cheapest at the moment are Planet X selcof, which would ship to US if that's where you are based.

The pads aren't great (thin and small surface area) but I've upgraded mine with some aftermarket carbon angled ones and a high rise extension, which still comes in much cheaper than big brand alternatives.

The base bar, clamps and risers are all solid. Would definately recommend. Only caveat is beware of where you buy them, like a lot of carbon bits from China the quality on what you think are the same thing can vary depending on the factory they are made in. Or so I've been told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was temped, but ended up going conservative/bomb-proof with this:

https://www.ebay.com/...d:g:XVkAAOSwIB9fiztl

My set came with the riser kit. Not sure if this one does, or not. If not, it's an extra ~$50.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 26, 20 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: eBay China special aerobar systems [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first link you have is the open mold version of the original Ian Cammish "PDQ" aerobars. They still sell the PDQ bars I think also if you go to that website.

Selcof appears to sell through PlanetX with the same open mold design. That's what I own. They've been fine. No weird China shipping either. Ships from Britain I think. I also own their aero road bar.

An Aeria Ultimate stem seems to fit the aerobar without modification perfectly. That is a 70mm Aeria Ultimate in my picture. My 100mm Aeria steam had to be sanded down on the sides to fit the road drop bar from Selcof. But, the aero profile on both is pretty much right on.

Regards.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSEULTCHR/selcof-ultra-chrono-carbon-tt-handlebar

Quote Reply