Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
jharris wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
The big unknown is whether hookless rims are going to be a good idea. Some of the tires most people would recommend, like the GP5000 TL, don't work on these wheels. ENVE has their brand specific tire, but the rolling resistance just isn't good, so why buy a fast wheel and add a slow tire. I think the Zipp tire is better, but still not class leading. Where hookless tire tech will land is an unknow, but no matter what I would expect to be running a big tire to get it work, so probably 28-30mm, which might be a bit of an aero compromise.

I personally would never buy another tubed rims. Tubeless is a bit of a hassle to set up, but the resistance to flats is remarkable. This is probably doubly important when running some of the faster tires like the Corsa Speed.

I am not totally up on all the Zipp and ENVE options, but it seems that their hooked rims might be some of their older but still more expensive wheels. I am probably biased, OK I am biased, but as far as I am concerned you can never go wrong with the hooked rim HED wheels. They are not as flashy, but they are always some of the best tech, they really focus on form over function and the price is almost always much better (though the new 303s is a bargain). If it were my credit card I would probably get a set of Vanquish 6s and 4s for roughly the same price as one pair of Zipp NSWs. You get a hooked rim so you know tire choice is going to be easy.

I didn’t even know that was a thing. Hookless and non hookless rims. Are hooked rims tubeless as well as non hookless? I’ve never run tubeless yet for road bike. All of my mountain bikes have been tubeless for years.

Oh ya, some companies are going to hookless carbon rims. From what I understand, the manufacturing process is much easier and requires fewer molds to "reach in" and form the hook. My understanding is that is came from the mountain bike world and it is a perfectly good idea at the low pressure you would run on a big tire. The road world has three problems 1) tires are smaller and require higher pressure 2) there is no industry standard for road tires. 3) the tire and rim have to have a pretty tight tolerance to work well at higher pressure and hookless really puts all the emphasis on the tire dimensions being really accurate. Now we have all probably experience a tire or or two in out lifetimes that was either a really loose or tight fit a rim, which just goes to show that getting the dimension of a tire really accurate is hard and the industry isn't particularly used to those requirements.

If you take the new Zipp 303s as an example, they set the maximum pressure at something like 74 psi. You can see that a big rider using a 25 mm tire could have an optimum tire inflation pressure above the max spec. Th new Cadex wheels are hookless and they have their own line of tires as well. Again the GP5000 is a no-no. They do however, state that you can run any tire on their hookless rim as long a it is installed below 40 psi. My guess is we are seeing the mountain bike tech transferring to road before it has matured. It seems to be fine for gravel, but it may be a while until it is ready for prime time.

Gotcha. Hooked for me it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
jharris wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
The big unknown is whether hookless rims are going to be a good idea. Some of the tires most people would recommend, like the GP5000 TL, don't work on these wheels. ENVE has their brand specific tire, but the rolling resistance just isn't good, so why buy a fast wheel and add a slow tire. I think the Zipp tire is better, but still not class leading. Where hookless tire tech will land is an unknow, but no matter what I would expect to be running a big tire to get it work, so probably 28-30mm, which might be a bit of an aero compromise.

I personally would never buy another tubed rims. Tubeless is a bit of a hassle to set up, but the resistance to flats is remarkable. This is probably doubly important when running some of the faster tires like the Corsa Speed.

I am not totally up on all the Zipp and ENVE options, but it seems that their hooked rims might be some of their older but still more expensive wheels. I am probably biased, OK I am biased, but as far as I am concerned you can never go wrong with the hooked rim HED wheels. They are not as flashy, but they are always some of the best tech, they really focus on form over function and the price is almost always much better (though the new 303s is a bargain). If it were my credit card I would probably get a set of Vanquish 6s and 4s for roughly the same price as one pair of Zipp NSWs. You get a hooked rim so you know tire choice is going to be easy.

I didn’t even know that was a thing. Hookless and non hookless rims. Are hooked rims tubeless as well as non hookless? I’ve never run tubeless yet for road bike. All of my mountain bikes have been tubeless for years.

Oh ya, some companies are going to hookless carbon rims. From what I understand, the manufacturing process is much easier and requires fewer molds to "reach in" and form the hook. My understanding is that is came from the mountain bike world and it is a perfectly good idea at the low pressure you would run on a big tire. The road world has three problems 1) tires are smaller and require higher pressure 2) there is no industry standard for road tires. 3) the tire and rim have to have a pretty tight tolerance to work well at higher pressure and hookless really puts all the emphasis on the tire dimensions being really accurate. Now we have all probably experience a tire or or two in out lifetimes that was either a really loose or tight fit a rim, which just goes to show that getting the dimension of a tire really accurate is hard and the industry isn't particularly used to those requirements.

If you take the new Zipp 303s as an example, they set the maximum pressure at something like 74 psi. You can see that a big rider using a 25 mm tire could have an optimum tire inflation pressure above the max spec. Th new Cadex wheels are hookless and they have their own line of tires as well. Again the GP5000 is a no-no. They do however, state that you can run any tire on their hookless rim as long a it is installed below 40 psi. My guess is we are seeing the mountain bike tech transferring to road before it has matured. It seems to be fine for gravel, but it may be a while until it is ready for prime time.

I just picked up the new Zipp 303s for my first disc build and didn't do my research on compatibility - always liked the GP4000/5000 clinchers so figured it was a no brainer to go with the GP5000 TL....Just discovered the no-no issue...

Now second guessing the entire process since I need to return the tires. Seriously considering returning the new Zipps and just going with the new Rapide Roval CLX and staying with clincher instead. Downside is I could use the zipps on either the gravel or road bike... Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to look at Reynolds.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: I'm running the 303S with a Schwalbe Pro One (HS493).

I was hesitant to swtich from my Continental GP tires that I've always run, but it's been drama free. I do enjoy the new setup.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar boat. Ended up going with Hed Vanquish. They’re gorgeous wheels. Zero regrets.

I also considered the Enve but ultimately vanity sealed the deal - just not biggest fan of the Enve logos on the wheel.

I don’t think there’s a wrong choice.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
That’s all well and good but your comparison of Flo to Chinese wheels is off base and your assumption that Flo wheels are materially inferior to the other wheels you are considering is just wrong.
I challenge you to ride them and then articulate the discernible differences.
If your goal is just to spend money, I actually think Flo is now priced similar to HED. There is an obscene amount of info about all of the wheels on your list here and elsewhere on the internet—they are all good and fast.

I've seen first hand some quality issues with the flo wheels. Their customer service was very good in taking care of the issues, but personally, I would in fact consider them to be an inferior quality product to HED/ENVE/Zipp. That is strictly my opinion. As you said, they are now similarly priced to HEDs. They also weigh more than HED's. Unless someone is getting a wicked deal on Flo's, I'm not sure why they'd ever choose them over HED.
As to being able to not notice a ride difference, I think we could say the same thing about most bike gear.

EDIT - It's possible flo wheels are now about the same weight as HED's with their full carbon clincher model, not sure....
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 6, 20 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:

I was hesitant to swtich from my Continental GP tires that I've always run, but it's been drama free. I do enjoy the new setup.

The Schwalbe was a tire that I was thinking might work well. I went and looked at the Aerocoach data and it turns out the Zipp tubeless tire is only a couple watts behind the 5000TL. The Schwalbe was 5 watts worse and the ENVE tire wins the award for crappiness at a whopping 15 wattts worse.

For a pure TT tire the Schwalbe Pro One TT looks really nice, but I don’t know if it works with hookless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
rijndael wrote:

The Schwalbe was a tire that I was thinking might work well. I went and looked at the Aerocoach data and it turns out the Zipp tubeless tire is only a couple watts behind the 5000TL. The Schwalbe was 5 watts worse and the ENVE tire wins the award for crappiness at a whopping 15 wattts worse.

For a pure TT tire the Schwalbe Pro One TT looks really nice, but I don’t know if it works with hookless.

What about Specialized turbo cotton? I thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Is not available in tubeless?

I switched from Conti GP 4K tires on my Roubaix to Vittoria Corsa G+ or whatever they are called. The 28c tires from Conti were huge and I didn’t like it so close to the frame. No complaints on Vittoria so far. These are tube though, not tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you- have had that same tire recommended by two others. Going to give it a shot with the 2021 303 FCs
Last edited by: gbtrinride: Oct 7, 20 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All three are very good and your spiting hairs between the three. Pick which ones you like the best or look the best on your bike. You can't go wrong with any of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new road bike incoming, and I'd like to run the GP5000 TL on a set of aftermarket wheels. Sounds like I definitely need a hooked rim, but some wheel manufacturers do not include the GP5K TL as a recommended tire.

Any recommendations on that front? I'm looking for something in the 40-50mm rim depth, disc brakes. This is for an endurance bike for longer rides, 50+ miles, and running 28mm GP5K TL.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Reynolds wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike, and was in the same position as you last new . . . similar background and experience too. I went with the Zipp Sub-9 disc and 858 in front - I LOVE it!! Awesome wheels. Let me know if there is anything you would like to know about my P5D set up.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you considered Reynolds wheels?

For sure. In case you don't recall, we've been discussing Reynolds via DM. I'm interested in their AR58/62X. Is that a hooked or hookless design? It looks like hooked from the cross section picture on their web site, but I'm not certain.

I'm seeing issues with installation of GP5K TL on certain rims, and this tire being left of the list of recommended tires by some wheel companies. But I'd like to run these tires if possible, so I'm trying to figure out which wheels are compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the Reynolds road wheels have hooked rims and will work with all tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running HED Vanquish 6s with tubeless GP5Ks 25s. They are dreamy smooth.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with Enve.

Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [TRI x3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much drop do you have from the saddle to the pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, don’t know the numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [TRI x3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could measure your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You could measure your bike.

Not everyone uses a large drop. I use about 6cm and I’ve had my fit looked at by a few well respected fitters on this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: What carbon wheels... HED, Zipp, or Enve? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering what the drop is.
Quote Reply

Prev Next