Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
My wife recently got a Domane SLR6. . . Her 44 cm bike . . .

She's running 40c tires which run on the small side and measure out to 39mm and clearance is fine. But at least on her size frame I wouldn't run anything wider. I think 42mm wide which another poster mentioned is really pushing it unless there's more clearance on larger frames, you might get away with it on dry stuff but could definitely cause real problems in the mud.

That was me. My wife's Domane SL5 is a size 54, and I'm pretty sure it would hold 45's. Thanks for sharing your experience. The Domane is a great all around bike, with the only downsides being weight, as you mentioned, and it isn't a very agile bike. But that stability is much appreciated on gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
dfru wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
dktxracer wrote:

What about a Trek Domane? It’s rated for 38mm tires and will hold 42’s. My wife has one and I’ve tested 42s. It’s really smooth on road and chews up the miles, although it isn’t the sportiest handler..

This is what me & the Mrs have. 2 sets of wheels: 1 set with road tires & 1 set with gravel tires.

What kind of gravel are you using the Domane in? How are you finding it for a gravel bike - I would suspect I am going to be 70/30 road to gravel, but I don't want a bike that doesn't get the job done...

My wife recently got a Domane SLR6. We recently did a 65 mile ride w/ about 70% gravel, including some pretty rough unmaintained Class IV roads and she did fine. The bike is very confidence inspiring, it rides really smooth and she's killing the downhills on it. If you do want to start doing pretty rough gravel or trails where you want 47-50mm tires then obviously you'd want a dedicated gravel bike. Also, it's not the lightest frame around. Her 44 cm bike is about 19 pounds with 32c GP5000 on some pretty light wheels, a pretty heavy Cobb saddle, Favero Assioma pedals, but otherwise stock Ultegra, and a bit under 21 pounds in gravel mode (wide tires and mtb pedals) with the stock wheels, which aren't the lightest. Obviously if you're willing to spend the bucks you can get it lighter but I don't think you'd ever get this bike down to 16 pounds without crazy exotic stuff.

She's running 40c tires which run on the small side and measure out to 39mm and clearance is fine. But at least on her size frame I wouldn't run anything wider. I think 42mm wide which another poster mentioned is really pushing it unless there's more clearance on larger frames, you might get away with it on dry stuff but could definitely cause real problems in the mud.

I recently got an Aspero and plan to use it for both road and gravel. As test I set it up for road and held my own in a fast group ride, even had a very good time for me on a short hill climb but don't currently have power on this bike so can't really compare with my aging but still light roadie. Swapping wheels is no big deal IMHO. However, the compromise comes in two other areas. I am using SPD mountain bike pedals for gravel and really wouldn't want to use those for fast road rides, and adding a pedal swap on top of the wheel swap starts to get into PITA territory. The other compromise is in handlebar shape and position. For gravel you generally want to ride a higher handlebar position so for road riding I have to bend my arms more to keep from being too upright. The Aspero comes with flared bars and I find that wider drop position is awkward on the road. But lots of people don't use flared bars for gravel so if you are primarily doing road then I think you could set up your bars for the road riding and be OK.

So just some stuff to think about.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Awesome stuff, and plenty to think about. Between the Domane and the Checkpoint, just wasn't sure the Domane wasn't enough bike for fire roads and logging roads - I don't intend on trying to make it do mountain bike stuff, and the Checkpoint is hard to come by at this time.

Thanks again - GREAT info....

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:

That was me. My wife's Domane SL5 is a size 54, and I'm pretty sure it would hold 45's. Thanks for sharing your experience. The Domane is a great all around bike, with the only downsides being weight, as you mentioned, and it isn't a very agile bike. But that stability is much appreciated on gravel.

The larger frames must have more clearance, then. The tight spot on hers is the seat stays, which of course are very low on such a small frame so not as much room to bow out. The other areas of the frame appear to have more clearance, particularly the fork.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I plan to go this way soon and am considering the Revolt vs Domane as well as my mostly road/occasional legit gravel steed, would also be my first disc brake bike...

Do you have (or anyone else who does this) any annoyances going back-and-fourth in regards to the disc brakes on modern gravel bikes? In particular how much of a PITA it is with brake squeal/alignment rub, do you have to fiddle with it each time, and do you use a different hub for your different set-ups? This stuff any better with cheap cable disc brakes or hydraulic? Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to throw another bike out to consider for the dual purpose, an Otso Waheela C would fit the bill nicely. It can be shipped with a true road crank set or gravel and will fit a pretty chunky 650 tire. My wife has one in the blue and maroon and it is a beautiful bike.

https://otsocycles.com/collections/waheela-c

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:

The larger frames must have more clearance, then. The tight spot on hers is the seat stays, which of course are very low on such a small frame so not as much room to bow out. The other areas of the frame appear to have more clearance, particularly the fork.

In case this helps anyone, I measured the clearance on the size 54 Domane, which currently have 32mm tires mounted (actual measure width). At the front front, I measured right at 1 cm of clearance on EACH side of the tire, or ~52 mm of width. At the rear, the seat stays are the narrowest part, and the clearance measured same as the front (1 cm of clearance on each side of the tire, so ~52 mm of width).

As I mentioned before, I test fit 42 mm tires (actual measured width) on this bike and there was plenty of clearance. 45mm would be a tighter fit but should work also, unless the gravel tire has big knobs on the side maybe.

Frankly, if I needed more than 42mm of width, I'd rather be on my XC mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [Squidly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squidly wrote:
My question is: Since I ride mostly road, if I'm running the same 28mm tire on the same rim on a bike marketed as endurance road like the Specialized Rubaix and a bike marketed as Gravel Plus like the 3T Exploro how much of a performance loss am I looking at on the Gravel Plus riding on pavement? Is this performance loss attributed to my power output/aero loss due to my position on the bike or the bike's performance?

Between these options will the Caledonia severely outperform the Exploro on road with the same tires?

Budget is in the $3k's but that being said the Ribble CGR is tempting me with their value at the 105 version.

Thanks in advance!

Check out rondo (https://rondo.cc), they have an interesting fork feature that allows you to change the geometry subtly. I don't know anything else about them (although their models get good reviews on bikeradar), but my LBS has begun to stock them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Squidly wrote:

My question is: Since I ride mostly road, if I'm running the same 28mm tire on the same rim on a bike marketed as endurance road like the Specialized Rubaix and a bike marketed as Gravel Plus like the 3T Exploro how much of a performance loss am I looking at on the Gravel Plus riding on pavement? Is this performance loss attributed to my power output/aero loss due to my position on the bike or the bike's performance?

Between these options will the Caledonia severely outperform the Exploro on road with the same tires?

Budget is in the $3k's but that being said the Ribble CGR is tempting me with their value at the 105 version.

Thanks in advance!

Check out rondo (https://rondo.cc), they have an interesting fork feature that allows you to change the geometry subtly. I don't know anything else about them (although their models get good reviews on bikeradar), but my LBS has begun to stock them.

For those in the US, Rondo does have a USA website. It's Rondobike.com

I too am stuck with what to buy, and considering most of the options previously mentioned. I recently had an encounter at a traffic light where the car next to me had a Stigmata on the roof. I asked if he'd do anything differently (road or gravel bike), and he said, go Gravel, you won't regret it. Local bike shop salesperson told me he's heard that multiple times.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - GravelPlus or Road? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kept shopping and was ready to pull the trigger only to find everything is sold out.

Now I'm waiting for spring and keep finding some great options.

Aspero, Dark Matter, Ventom GS1, 3T........Lauf can deliver in only a few weeks if I went that way.

I can't wait until someone has something in stock to look at.
Quote Reply

Prev Next