Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CANCELLED. 2020 USA TRIATHLON MULTISPORT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FESTIVAL
Quote | Reply
Just got this email.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Triathlon, along with race production company MultiRace, today announced that the 2020 USA Triathlon Multisport National Championships Festival, initially scheduled for Nov. 14-15 as part of the Miami Man Triathlon at Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial Park in Miami, has been canceled due to local restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

The cancellation was required after MultiRace and USA Triathlon were informed that Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial Park is unable to issue a permit for the event due to ongoing COVID-19 precautions.

“USA Triathlon and MultiRace are disappointed to cancel the closing event on our National Championships calendar, as we know many athletes were hopeful about the opportunity to race this fall in Miami,” said Brian D’Amico, USA Triathlon Director of Events. “We now shift our focus to 2021, and we look forward to the day we can welcome athletes across the USA Triathlon National Championships finish line once again.”

The Multisport National Championships Festival traditionally crowns national champions in five multisport disciplines: Aquathlon (swim-run), Long Course and International-Distance Aquabike (bike-run), Long Course Triathlon (swim-bike-run) and Long Course Duathlon (run-bike-run), as well as a non-championship International-Distance Triathlon.

The National Championship events would have qualified top finishers in each age group to represent Team USA at the 2021 ITU Age Group World Championships in their respective disciplines. Details regarding adjusted qualification procedures for Team USA are in progress, and USA Triathlon will provide an update to all registered athletes as soon as details are finalized.

Similarly, athletes who are already registered will receive a separate communication from MultiRace with respect to its deferral policies and procedures.

The date and location of the 2021 USA Triathlon Multisport National Championships Festival will be announced later this year.

USA Triathlon continues to monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19, while following the guidance of local authorities, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), when making decisions regarding the status of USA Triathlon events and programs. Continual updates from USA Triathlon regarding COVID-19 are available at usatriathlon.org/covid-19.

USA Triathlon also launched the Safe Return to Multisport initiative, a comprehensive set of best practices and recommendations for race directors, coaches and athletes to implement to resume racing and group training safely as the nation recovers from COVID-19. All documents can be found at usatriathlon.org/safe-return.

Media Contact
Caryn Maconi, Communications Manager
719-955-2828 | caryn.maconi@usatriathlon.org
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Oct 1, 20 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: CANCELLED. 2020 USA TRIATHLON MULTISPORT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FESTIVAL [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it coming, but not necessarily from strictly a COVID perspective.

How does this play out for IM FL and Challenge Daytona? Should be interesting. Is Miamiman in Broward or Dade? Certainly worlds apart from PCB and Daytona.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: CANCELLED. 2020 USA TRIATHLON MULTISPORT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FESTIVAL [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Saw it coming, but not necessarily from strictly a COVID perspective.

How does this play out for IM FL and Challenge Daytona? Should be interesting. Is Miamiman in Broward or Dade? Certainly worlds apart from PCB and Daytona.

This has a lot less to do with Miami-Dade and a lot more with MultiRace being in default. It has zero bearing on IMFL and Challenge Dayton in my view.
Quote Reply
Re: CANCELLED. 2020 USA TRIATHLON MULTISPORT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FESTIVAL [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprising that it's cancelled.

You can add me to the list of people who don't think it's not actually totally related to the permit issue. Although I do think it's still unlikely to get a permit in Miami for a large event right now. I am scheduled to race a 5k 10/31 which they say they have a permit for. I think so anyway.

I don't think this impacts IMFL or Daytona at all. The population density of South Florida puts us in a different situation than other cities in FL. Panama City is literally almost in a different state than Miami. The Daytona Beach area is already having events.
Quote Reply