Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
I would argue we are much more appropriately put in the Speedbar category, albeit a more adjustable, more aero, more universal version, for far less cost, and with more comfortable pads.

More aero than the SpeedBar? It’s like the same thing but more surface area. So no. You do have a good point on adjustability... my first SpeedBar was slightly off from ideal on both length and tilt ... there was nothing to do about it (though I’d imagine the angled spacers you have now might have helped).

All that being said, I’ll take an alpha one with the new Dragonfly to attach my SpeedBar to when available.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the surface area looks pretty huge, it's like two arms each submerged in a bath.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind you have two arms sitting behind those cups. The Scoops are fairing the arms for you better than anything else on the market. Sure, some other offering might be thinner, but it's not fairing the whole arm. Moreover, Scoops have a much deeper airfoil than anything else out right now. You can see that in the images.

If you look at the picture of the Scoops in frontal profile, they add very little frontal area ... and that's on Jeremiah who has very slim arms. On most folks it’s little-to-no area added.

And then on top of all that ...

Your arm is the "wire" except much closer to the width of the airfoil.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Oct 1, 20 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its a really cool looking product and i really like what youve done. are there any aero testing results avail to validate the aero "looks" of the product?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet. Soon!

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Oct 1, 20 17:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome!! :-)

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. It's a good idea
2. $850 is expensive for what is really arm cups with extensions built in
3. Aero gains will be minimal if at all
4.They look comfy and don't over look comfort. Its important
5. If your position is high hands the only thing you will scoop is air
6. They look overbuilt.....if that is such a thing?
7. Not much room if any for a BTA.....again the "overbuilt" thing.
8. See #1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t necessarily expect Nick to share his pricing strategy but they are priced strangely to me. There is a huge gap in price between these and regular scoops (ultimate is roughly 4.4x regular) so unless he simply needed to price these so high to justify the work done on them, he is either trying to limit sales on these and make them even more of a limited, high-end speciality product, and/or he is trying to sell more regular scoops by making their price look more appealing.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 3, 20 20:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
And then on top of all that ...

Your arm is the "wire" except much closer to the width of the airfoil.

But the arm isn't 90deg relative to the wind. Frodeno's position has his whole forearm hiding behind his fists. In his case a low profile will have less frontal area than a fairing pointing down at the ground.

With 5-20 degree tilt, the round cross-section will also be far more ovalized relative to the wind. Of course, the higher the tilt, the more a fairing will help.

Adjustability looks nice, but it does look very bulky since it's creating a fairing for such a wide object. Looking forward to the aero claims. Will you be testing it against the standard scoops/extensions or also one of the competitors like Speedball, Anemoi, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been seeing versions of this type of bar being used in a custom format for few years and wondered how they got around Bob Duncan's patent on the extension/arm rest integration. I think Bob licensed it to Profile a decade or two ago with their ill-timed SonicStrike back when everyone was running Fabian/Ullrich straight extensions.

I'd like to get a 3D printed / Heat moldable idea off the ground but bumped into the patent. Perhaps it's just not defended like Time's patent on tapered steerer tubes.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't seen the patent but... in my head to sidestep it (and also appease UCI) wouldn't you just make the pads and extensions "two pieces."
That is, basically you make them as one piece, then separate them after the fact. Looks like what a few companies are doing (although possibly for other reasons)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
I've been seeing versions of this type of bar being used in a custom format for few years and wondered how they got around Bob Duncan's patent on the extension/arm rest integration. I think Bob licensed it to Profile a decade or two ago with their ill-timed SonicStrike back when everyone was running Fabian/Ullrich straight extensions.

I'd like to get a 3D printed / Heat moldable idea off the ground but bumped into the patent. Perhaps it's just not defended like Time's patent on tapered steerer tubes.

-SD

Hi Dave! Long time no see.

Edit: Looks like US6928897B2 expired due to non-payment of maintenance fees.

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Oct 5, 20 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Hi Dave! Long time no see.
I can see why something like Speedbar looks like it falls within US6928897B2. But Scoops Ultimate quite clearly does not fall within that patent. I would also argue that WattShop Anemoi avoids that patent as well.

Edit: Looks like that patent expired anyway ... didn't pay the maintenance fees.

I know about the expiration date, circle back to me in a year :)

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talking about patent. It LOOK really similar to me.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/.../US20200102046A1.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [alex_emetique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha nice pun there. I think we are safely outside the LOOK patent.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be essential for consumers to see the aero data. Mainly as the scoops ultimate doesn't remotely turn the arm into an aerofoil (the trailing edge of an arm when positioned at an angle is nothing like that). What it does do is to close the gap down from an existing extension to the arms and remove the airflow interplay between two forms. However, there are shaped extensions that do this now that form close to the forearm, they're cheaper and don't add to the frontal area like the photo's of this system appear to. The scoops would always be wider than the arms sat in them. The wattage saving claimed from competitors is already out there so I'm curious to see what this delivers.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Oct 7, 20 3:41
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Plus then EricMPro can't complain that I'm not properly countering the forward sliding forces of my body while riding.

You complete me....

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.â€
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
It'll be essential for consumers to see the aero data. Mainly as the scoops ultimate doesn't remotely turn the arm into an aerofoil (the trailing edge of an arm when positioned at an angle is nothing like that).

I was going to say the same thing but since my degree isn't in physics (but I did take enough physics classes to make my head hurt) I didn't want to get into an argument with some big brain person but I struggled to see the "aerofoil" part too. (other than marketing)
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Scoops Ultimate [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking of getting the Ultimate scoops in their Black Friday sale

Any update in the aero testing?

Anyone have input in using the Ultimate scoops?
Quote Reply

Prev Next