Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I think it proved there isn't a good reason either way for or against disc brakes. They work, they're effective, but they aren't necessarily so important that you can't win Le Tour without them. In other words, disc brakes are NOT the game changer that Lemond's aerobars and kit were. Not in the least. I think it did show some hurdles to address though, like wheel changes.

I disagree to dome extent. As far as stages go I agree, but for GC I think rim brakes offer a small advantage. Pogacar had a few punctures at pressure points in the race but his rim brake wheel changes were much slicker than the changes we saw with disc brakes even with power tools to remove the thru-axel. Porte was lucky that the GC group went into stalemate and that he adventually got some pulls from the Jumbo riders otherwise he might not have had his podium moment. If he was on rim brakes he could have had a mavic wheel and got back on much sooner.

Under pressure there seemed to be some horribly slow disc wheel changes to the point if possible a bike changes is often the go to. The different axel setups mean neutral service have to use an unwieldy looking tool to cover all likely hex sizes.
Last edited by: boing: Sep 22, 20 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not entirely accurate, but I saw this in a forum and had a chuckle.

Last edited by: dpd3672: Sep 22, 20 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
The different axel setups mean neutral service have to use an unwieldy looking tool to cover all likely hex sizes.

I've got a sample bike sitting here that uses Torx T-40s on the axles. Anyone got that one on your multi-tool...?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Bianchi's solution to this, the tool is built in, and it's captive. You pull it out, swing it to the side, and unscrew the axle.

Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 22, 20 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got those on my Culprit Rad. Love 'em. Looking for them aftermarket for my Fuel Ex.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the PCSD TT dozens of times and the fastest and only time I did sub-20 min was without a PM. My best 40k was when PM miscalculated and I stopped looking at it after 5k. After those two incidents I only used a PM to cap the first few minutes and then went by feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I only used a PM to cap the first few minutes and then went by feel.

That's how I've always done it. Really liked that the PM informed me that I tended to go too hard in the beginning, but after that I'd rather just pay attention to my body.
Never had an outlier on the high side though...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
That you don't need a bike computer or power meter to race as well as you can

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...e-des-belles-filles/

That's not new.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chloe-dygert-biggest-advantage-didnt-ride-power-meter-438541
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learned that the UCI rules makes TT bikes look ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tech - did we learn anything from the tour this year? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did, was +~3% in one race and had a few workout intervals 4-5% higher than rest. A pro bike racing friend told me: “you don’t get to choose the great days.” I always viewed the outliers as just that, and not the norm to shoot for.
Quote Reply

Prev Next