Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the same 4mm as the Alphafly

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
I didn't like them and the price sucks for what you get. Nike took several parts of other shoes and slapped them together. They are nothing like the Next%. At recover paces this shoe is awful, at fast race paces its much better but this shoe is billed as a trainer for $200. Upper is
flyknit'ish and it holds sweat. They get heavy when wet.

Nike makes really good race shoes but their trainers blow.

They are actually very close to the Alphaflys. The shoe was never designed for recovery paces at least not non-pro recovery places.

The differences are primarily the different plate and the heal is react instead of zoomx foam.

The upper is a little different, but there is no sweating problems in Colorado so I can’t comment on the water holding piece.

I wouldn’t call them anywhere close to awful but they aren’t going to be for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok now that I have spent some time in them............they kind of suck. I'm a Nike fan but....and I'm not surprised by these shoes although I wanted to be.......most Nike trainers I have use are sucky and these are no different.

Nike can my a world class racing shoe but the corresponding trainer is meh at best. The Tempo is cluncky, awful at slower recovery speeds and felt like you are going to tip over. At fast speeds its much better but this is a trainer....its has to be good at all speeds. The mixed foam midsole doesn't do anything special and has a firmer feeling than I was expecting and the air pods are surprisingly noisy (if that matters) and all this for the low low price of $200

Best trainer of the year so far has been the Saucony Endorphin Speed. This shoe does everything a trainer should for $160. For racing the Vaporfly Next% is still my pick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first run in them today, a good test with 4x1 minute at goal pace for the 10k I'm doing Saturday, which is 3:48/km so fairly good speed. For my warm up though at like 5:30/km pace, I agree on the clonkiness but disagree on "instability" (from another poster). The only instability I felt was with a 90 degree turn during my intervals. I certainly wouldn't wear these for an IM as I feel more comfortable in other shoes and comfort is king but am happy to wear these for the faster training sessions or for B races. Planning to wear it on my 10k on Saturday and really see how they feel.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got to 46km on my pair, this one was a 16km run going on and off half pace and I must say, I am liking this shoe more and more. I rotate between this and the zoom structure with the structure being for slow/easy runs and thus the majority of my running. Before this, I would rotate between the structure and the zoom fly and while I noticed a difference in speed and fatigue, it wasn't that much, not enough for me to feel any worse in the structures. Now with going between the structure and the tempo next, I feel like I am running in bricks when with the structures and my legs just feel destroyed. I have two pairs of structures and both are relatively new so it isn't a quality control issue.

Speed-wise, there is a huge difference between how I feel running 4min/km in both shoes. In the structures, that pace feels hard but doable, after a couple kms at that speed I feel like it starts to hurt the legs and I need to keep an eye on the pace to keep the speed up. In the tempos however, my struggle is keeping the pace at 4/km and not 3:50, I feel I could run 4/km for days.

Given all that, I am now considering winding down the amount I run in the structures and phasing them out altogether. My only fear is that when the next innovation comes in, it may not work as well with me but I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Just got to 46km on my pair, this one was a 16km run going on and off half pace and I must say, I am liking this shoe more and more. I rotate between this and the zoom structure with the structure being for slow/easy runs and thus the majority of my running. Before this, I would rotate between the structure and the zoom fly and while I noticed a difference in speed and fatigue, it wasn't that much, not enough for me to feel any worse in the structures. Now with going between the structure and the tempo next, I feel like I am running in bricks when with the structures and my legs just feel destroyed. I have two pairs of structures and both are relatively new so it isn't a quality control issue.

Speed-wise, there is a huge difference between how I feel running 4min/km in both shoes. In the structures, that pace feels hard but doable, after a couple kms at that speed I feel like it starts to hurt the legs and I need to keep an eye on the pace to keep the speed up. In the tempos however, my struggle is keeping the pace at 4/km and not 3:50, I feel I could run 4/km for days.

Given all that, I am now considering winding down the amount I run in the structures and phasing them out altogether. My only fear is that when the next innovation comes in, it may not work as well with me but I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

I agree with this assesment. I have now run alot more in my tempos. I stand by the fact that they are clunky at paces slower than 5 min / km. But:

- After they get broken in a bit i feel they are somewhat less clunky at slower speeds. I feel 4:40-5:00 now feels ok.

- I really like them for somewhat quicker runs, especially long ones. They are mysteriously fast, i think, and my legs do not feel very beat up with them.

I now have 200km in mine and must say I really like them. They also seem quite durable - no real signs of wear after 200km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
As the previous thread on these shoes were all about the price, I thought I'd start a new one to get peoples thoughts on how this shoe actually runs.

I had my first run in them now. Some background - I have never tried any of Nikes 4% shoes (neither Vaporfly / Next % or Alphafly), as I have never got a hold of a pair. Wanted to try the Next % Tempos.

So far only 1 run, and my initial feeling was they feel really "cluncky". To start with they didnt feel smooth at all, and my gait felt kinda strange. Part of this I accredit to the fact that they are very wide on the forefoot. I tend to land abit on the outside of my forefeet, which feels strange wigh a pretty wide, stiff sole on the forefoot of the Tempos. The shoes also give quite a "stiff/Firm" ride, and are not as plush as some every-day trainers are (I dont think these are everyday trainers, though). One strange this was that my speed was noticably higher in these shows than my normal trainers. For the same effort (PE and HR) it almost felt as these shoes were 15 sec faster pr km (!). Im no speedy runner, and my everyday easy pace is around 5:00. When running in the tempos, my slow run was a steady 4:40-4:45, at same HR I usually hold during 5:00-runs. Hard to peg all this on the shoe, I figure, especially after just 1 run.

I did one fast Km just to try (or semi-fast - did a km a tad over 4/km. The felt much better for running fast than slogging away - this was probably the easiest sub 4:10 km I feel I have run.

In summary a really strange shoe - for me. It didnt really fell very smooth or fluid to run in, but at the same time the felt really fast! I also liked the good cushion under the forefoot. I often find shoes to have too much cushion in the heel, and too litle in the forefoot, so this was good or my toeballs:)

Exactly how I feel with the next %. Strange and clunky feeling BUT significantly faster
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I tried out the Next% Tempo Flyease - as I thought these may be a good option for Sprint/Olympic races with the supposed quick and easy entry.
Well I found these no easier to get on than most regular shoes with elastic laces - Brooks Launch and Nike Fly 3 as my other shoes.
In the 20 miles I ran in these they didn't "feel" as nice/fast as the Fly 3 and the heel of the shoe has a plastic support that is part of the construction that allows the heel to crush down for the "easy" entry - well that plastic support is rigid and (for me) cut into my ankle.
Sent these back in the 30 day free return window with a little dirt and blood (cleaned as best I could) with a note about the heel construction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in the Zoom fly 3, but options seem to be dwindling on Nike's website for that shoe is the Next % tempo maybe a replacement for that shoe? does anyone know if there will be a Zoom fly 4?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [milehighrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't count on it. It may live on for those that prefer the VF next over the alpha (and thus keep the training version line going), and they are making new colorways of the VF next but I have a feeling another _____fly is on the way.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was going to try my Next % Tempos today but they were too big. I normally wear a 10.5 in everything Nike but these were too big.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could the Alphafly Next % be your trainer and race shoe? I run 40-60 miles/wk. 50 years old and not really concerned about cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never ran in the alphas but if cost were no issue I’d ha e my rotation full of Next%! So I’d assume the answer would be the same with alphas.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Never ran in the alphas but if cost were no issue I’d ha e my rotation full of Next%! So I’d assume the answer would be the same with alphas.

Probably, but Im a firm believer that doing all your training in Carbon plated shoes is detrimental to running form/fitness. Need to strengthen Also those muscles that are helped by The new shoe tech. No scientolog evidence for this, bit I still believe it:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
As the previous thread on these shoes were all about the price, I thought I'd start a new one to get peoples thoughts on how this shoe actually runs.

I had my first run in them now. Some background - I have never tried any of Nikes 4% shoes (neither Vaporfly / Next % or Alphafly), as I have never got a hold of a pair. Wanted to try the Next % Tempos.

So far only 1 run, and my initial feeling was they feel really "cluncky". To start with they didnt feel smooth at all, and my gait felt kinda strange. Part of this I accredit to the fact that they are very wide on the forefoot. I tend to land abit on the outside of my forefeet, which feels strange wigh a pretty wide, stiff sole on the forefoot of the Tempos. The shoes also give quite a "stiff/Firm" ride, and are not as plush as some every-day trainers are (I dont think these are everyday trainers, though). One strange this was that my speed was noticably higher in these shows than my normal trainers. For the same effort (PE and HR) it almost felt as these shoes were 15 sec faster pr km (!). Im no speedy runner, and my everyday easy pace is around 5:00. When running in the tempos, my slow run was a steady 4:40-4:45, at same HR I usually hold during 5:00-runs. Hard to peg all this on the shoe, I figure, especially after just 1 run.

I did one fast Km just to try (or semi-fast - did a km a tad over 4/km. The felt much better for running fast than slogging away - this was probably the easiest sub 4:10 km I feel I have run.

In summary a really strange shoe - for me. It didnt really fell very smooth or fluid to run in, but at the same time the felt really fast! I also liked the good cushion under the forefoot. I often find shoes to have too much cushion in the heel, and too litle in the forefoot, so this was good or my toeballs:)

what are they claiming "tempo" to be for? How are they different from first Next%?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought was that the Tempo NEXT : Alphafly NEXT% as the Zoomfly : Vaporfly

So basically a model not as expensive and not as good as the race model for you to train in and save the racers for racing.

I think in practicality, I use it for fast training only and keep to my "typical" trainers, just a stability brick, for the slow/easy runs.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got my correct size in last night and first run this morning. This shoe is f’ing FAST! I did a 12.5 mile run, 1 mile warm up, 10 miles tempo, 1.5 mile cool down. New 10 mile PR, 59:20, beat my previous PR by 39 seconds set 7 weeks ago on the exact same loop in the Pegasus Turbo 2. Shoe fits me great, doesn’t feel clunky, but does kinda sound like a horse trotting when I run. To me shoe is stable, no problems with sharp turns. Legs felt great at end of run, did last tempo mile 15 seconds faster than previous record run and I attribute that to the way my legs felt. Had plenty left over and could have smashed my HM PR if I had wanted to. Have worn the VF Next 4% for 3 marathons and I don’t think this shoe would be much slower. I really like the VF Next 4% but this shoe is tempting me to try the Alpha Fly. Have a MP long run Friday so I’ll see how they handle that, but after one run I’m sold.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next