Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [DeLuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeLuz wrote:
I can't speak for others but it is standard procedure for me and prevents you from getting stranded.

I just replace cables every 6 months, spring and fall. That's my approach to avoiding getting stranded, but in my area, losing a front or rear derailleur wouldn't mean I can't make it home. It just means I'd go slower or suffer a bit more on the hills.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched to Di2 when it first came out...what’s that now 10+ years. Personally I’d never go back to mechanical,Di2 for me just ticks all positive boxes and no negative ones. Now on my old road bike, new road bike and gravel bike. I actually test road my new bike which had a mechanical groupset.....hated it!
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [DeLuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeLuz wrote:
kwikfoot wrote:
DeLuz wrote:

With mechanical if you carry a spare shift cable it is pretty much bullet proof.

Maybe I was doing it wrong for years, but is this common? Perhaps our at home maintenance schedules are different and I babied my bike more than most (new cables each season at minimum), but I have never, nor have those in my circle, ridden with spare cables.

I can't speak for others but it is standard procedure for me and prevents you from getting stranded.
It does not weigh anything and fits in a saddle bag easily. Shift cables can break for a variety of reasons.
One time my wife and I were riding our tandem along Big Sur and the bike wasn't shifting good which was not pleasant and could even be a safety issue.
At our turn around point I discovered that the cable was shredded inside the shifter. It took some doing to get it out.
I replaced it with the new cable and our ride back was back to normal. I hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't able to change the cable.

Well, all that would have happened is that your ride home would have taken longer due to being in a less than optimal gear.

I’ve never broken a cable, knock on wood.. it isn’t something that I really need to be prepared for on the road.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tsdogma wrote:
With that, I am at a crossroads as to which groupo I would want. Its between DI2 and mechanical Ultegra.

Just to make it more confusing...

Chorus 12 spd is about the same cost as Ultegra 11... I'd definitely go with Chorus: https://www.bikebug.com/...d-rim-brake-groupset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cables NEVER fail or need to be charged. My vote is mechanical all the way
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
It shifts. IMO that's the major advantage of Di2. It just works. If you stay on top of keeping the battery charged (so like once every 6 months), then it works great. The only downside might be the feel of the shifters. I haven't used any of the newer stuff (GRX, etc.), but I do with there was a longer lever throw similar to mechanical.

+1

Di2 is so nice in bad weather. Also in the winter with cold fingers as less force is required.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [mfcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfcycling wrote:
Cables NEVER fail or need to be charged. My vote is mechanical all the way

Ummm, incorrect. I’ve broken a rear derailleur cable before, and don’t think I’m the only one.........

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 vs Mechanical [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the camp that caries spare brake / shift cables but hasn't had to use them. But when commuting I've had two snap on me over the years (and about 100,000 miles), in both cases then I got home stuck in one gear. I've also been on group rides (two I think, can't remember a third) where others with DI2 have had issues and been stuck in a gear for part of the ride. Oh, I've also had an almost new Ultegra 11 speed mechanical mech snap in half on a ride - both of the parallel plates snapped. And a DA bar end shifter side bolt fell out meaning a 50km ride to get back home with a choice of 39x11 with grinding noise from front mech or 53 x 11 with grinding noise from knees.

So I'd say the odds of a system failure are about the same and extremely rare for mechanical or DI2. Good maintenance (cleaning, charging, lubing) will reduce it, but every now and again, both will go. On a tour, I'd prefer mechanical as I can botch something together from whatever system, make or model that I can find in a rural second hand shop. Even a thumb friction shifter off a kids bike.

What would I do on a new build? Well last year I went mechanical for my new road bike just as I preferred the frame colour that the mechanical came with over the same frame Cannondale supplied the DI2 version. I've just 'upgraded' a 9 speed bike to 10 speed which was a major mission and cost me a fortune as only tiagra is 10speed, and that needs a special mech as it's a different 'throw' to the old 105/ultegra/DA 10 speed mechs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next